or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 1914  

post #28696 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post

This post is a bit late since we were talking about Hamiltons a while back. I realized that I still had one:




34mm case, fixed strap bars. This has been sitting around for close to two decades now and the watch is in serious need of oiling - it won't run unless you wind it up all the way, power reserve down to a little over a day, loses a couple of minutes a day or so. I don't even know if one can open the case anymore...


Worth saving, Hayward!

Classic field watch, despite the 'vintage' size.

I say get thee to a reputable watchmaker for a nice lube, slap it on the NATO of your choice, and I bet it gives you two more decades of service.

Would be a fun summer watch, if you think in those terms.
post #28697 of 48312
Yes, I think it would! Thanks for the encouragement!
post #28698 of 48312
@mimo thanks for your comments...your reason for getting the seiko is pretty much the same reason I want a dive watch with a rubber strap...I took a look at the muehle watches...pretty nice..they cost roughly about twice what I'm willing to spend though...as for seiko...maybe I will learn to, but right now I don't really like the look that much...as for the stowa...they're nice, based on the pics on their website, but I just really wish I could try one on before buying...so right now the longines is still the one I want...
post #28699 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by aol910 View Post

@mimo thanks for your comments...your reason for getting the seiko is pretty much the same reason I want a dive watch with a rubber strap...I took a look at the muehle watches...pretty nice..they cost roughly about twice what I'm willing to spend though...as for seiko...maybe I will learn to, but right now I don't really like the look that much...as for the stowa...they're nice, based on the pics on their website, but I just really wish I could try one on before buying...so right now the longines is still the one I want...

 

From experience in this thread, if that is the watch you want and you settle for something else, it will be a costly mistake.  Now that I think about it....finding TWAT is a costly mistake, buying the wrong watch just builds on that :D

post #28700 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

I can see why some would think it lame, but actually that's not my issue: we all do cute stuff with out beloveds that would make other people cringe.  Matching watches is a little more public, but really not that big a deal I don't think.  My issue is that if Mrs TC likes watches that you like, why waste money buying two of the same watch?  I like Frilly's system way better: similar watches that you can both share, or match up (kind of) when you feel like it.  Of course it helps  that Mr and Mrs Frilly have the same wrists, and the RO bracelet in your case is not something you want to keep fiddling with.  But I think the principle's still good: don't go identical, maybe just variations on the theme, even if they're all men's and the same size?

My thoughts exactly. The problem is that, in order to share an AP, it would need to be on a strap. While I rather like the 15400 in rose gold on the brown croc, it seems really overpriced to me for what it is, and she does not like watches on a strap at all. If it were only 25% or even 50% more expensive than the SS on bracelet I could see it, but 2x the price is crazy for the same watch in a gold case on a leather strap. So while I might concede to move to that watch and let her rock the SS, I'm not paying up for that solution.

The other thought was maybe to try to talk her into a rose gold Daytona on bracelet. When I resized the Sub for her, I only needed to take out one link. So, I was thinking that maybe I could configure a Daytona bracelet in such a way where we could both fit it reasonably well by just by moving the pin in the clasp to adjust the size and not having to add/remove links. I suggested (strongly advocated) this option to her, but while she likes rose gold, she tells me "it's all about that RO bezel". So, she gets it. LOL Maybe if I could get her to a jeweler to try one on she would feel differently.

And really, while sharing watches seems to work conceptually, I don't really think it will work in practice. We went down this road when we bought the last car, and I upped the budget on the theory that we'd get something we could both enjoy by swapping back and forth, and it would be like we both had 2 cars instead of each of us having one of our own. And after 18 months, I've driven the damn car maybe 3 times--she's got only child syndrome and sharing is not a natural thing for her. smile.gif Plus, I'm super careful and obsessive about the condition of my stuff, and she tends to be a little more casual about it. I'm not saying one is better than the other, but the end result is it's a little nervous for both of us to share nice things.
post #28701 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC (Houston) View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

I can see why some would think it lame, but actually that's not my issue: we all do cute stuff with out beloveds that would make other people cringe.  Matching watches is a little more public, but really not that big a deal I don't think.  My issue is that if Mrs TC likes watches that you like, why waste money buying two of the same watch?  I like Frilly's system way better: similar watches that you can both share, or match up (kind of) when you feel like it.  Of course it helps  that Mr and Mrs Frilly have the same wrists, and the RO bracelet in your case is not something you want to keep fiddling with.  But I think the principle's still good: don't go identical, maybe just variations on the theme, even if they're all men's and the same size?

My thoughts exactly. The problem is that, in order to share an AP, it would need to be on a strap. While I rather like the 15400 in rose gold on the brown croc, it seems really overpriced to me for what it is, and she does not like watches on a strap at all. If it were only 25% or even 50% more expensive than the SS on bracelet I could see it, but 2x the price is crazy for the same watch in a gold case on a leather strap. So while I might concede to move to that watch and let her rock the SS, I'm not paying up for that solution.

The other thought was maybe to try to talk her into a rose gold Daytona on bracelet. When I resized the Sub for her, I only needed to take out one link. So, I was thinking that maybe I could configure a Daytona bracelet in such a way where we could both fit it reasonably well by just by moving the pin in the clasp to adjust the size and not having to add/remove links. I suggested (strongly advocated) this option to her, but while she likes rose gold, she tells me "it's all about that RO bezel". So, she gets it. LOL Maybe if I could get her to a jeweler to try one on she would feel differently.

And really, while sharing watches seems to work conceptually, I don't really think it will work in practice. We went down this road when we bought the last car, and I upped the budget on the theory that we'd get something we could both enjoy by swapping back and forth, and it would be like we both had 2 cars instead of each of us having one of our own. And after 18 months, I've driven the damn car maybe 3 times--she's got only child syndrome and sharing is not a natural thing for her. smile.gif Plus, I'm super careful and obsessive about the condition of my stuff, and she tends to be a little more casual about it. I'm not saying one is better than the other, but the end result is it's a little nervous for both of us to share nice things.

A rose gold Daytona on a woman is a lovely thing.

a7avupyn.jpg



/****** Apparently I live on Instagram too - mainly timepieces, shoes, attire and the occasional cheeseburger. @no_frills_vc. ******/
post #28702 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdeuce22 View Post

......and then there are some who would go apeshit over a lost button or loose thread

 

To be fair, I spent about two minutes yesterday morning on all fours (well, three, since one hand was taking the pic) checking to make sure the pusher cap wasn't on my office floor somewhere.

 

 

Also, when my 3940's crown pressed against the back of my hand in this picture, it popped out!  WTF what kind of shoddy workmanship is this watchmaker peddling!  Hahaha!

 

Just kidding, the crown didn't pop out. Haha.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post
 

Your most awesomeist watch, even with its dodgy pushers, and a lovely combination.  Keep posting like that and you might actually break the internet.

 

mimo - my man I quite like the Man of Platinum reference from a few posts back.  :fonz:

post #28703 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post

A rose gold Daytona on a woman is a lovely thing.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
a7avupyn.jpg

Certainly is! But that pic will not help my cause! I'm still stinging from my mention that Charlize wears a DSSD. LOL
post #28704 of 48312
Gosh, wimmenz and their Daytonas... gotta love it. I wish Kate was a watch wearer.

Also... I usually don't post to make fun of other brands, but this is some next level ridiculousness.

http://hublot.watchprosite.com/show-forumpost/fi-871/pi-6251163/ti-910508/s-0/t-hublot-depeche-mode-and-hublot-a-fusion-of-talent-and-passion-for-charity-water/

Hublot x Depeche Mode?
post #28705 of 48312
6uresu9a.jpg

JLC MC Memovox on rubber strap. Not getting much wrist time in the last years as I tend to wear my APs more with casual wear and over the weekends.

Great alarm, solid design so good for travel. I usually rotate watches out when I do not wear more than a few times in a year but as MCM is discontinued, don't want to regret later.
post #28706 of 48312
While there; had this on for most of the week:

La Tradition..

age5uzud.jpg
post #28707 of 48312

Two stunners!  Very nice.

post #28708 of 48312
That breguet is just...wow. It would confuse me everytime I looked at it but still...wow
post #28709 of 48312
Cartier smash and grab from yesterday. Four watches, $700k.

Love how the article says they tried to hit Wempe first but got thrown out by a security guard. Guess Cartier needs to hire that guy.

ybe5y2ab.jpg



/****** Apparently I live on Instagram too - mainly timepieces, shoes, attire and the occasional cheeseburger. @no_frills_vc. ******/
post #28710 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarwick View Post

Two stunners!  Very nice.

this
Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post

Cartier smash and grab from yesterday. Four watches, $700k.
Love how the article says they tried to hit Wempe first but got thrown out by a security guard. Guess Cartier needs to hire that guy. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
ybe5y2ab.jpg



/****** Apparently I live on Instagram too - mainly timepieces, shoes, attire and the occasional cheeseburger. @no_frills_vc. ******/

16 watch for 700k = they cased the job.

sidebar - frills, you know you could put your sig, like, in your sig. that way it does not come up every time you get quoted. smile.gifteacha.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)