Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 3/28/13 at 6:29am in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Today at 2:52 pm in Classic Menswear
- Anyone had a BAD exp with prestigetime.com? Last post on 2/1/16 at 9:53am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 1902
Styles mentioned in this thread:
I think you are right! But thank you anyways, I have no qualms wearing it in its current state. When it goes back the the Maison in a year or so, I will see if they can get me a navy croc put on it.
I agree, it has to be the right color blue...I'm not a fan of the current blue dialed two tone, all gold, or white gold Submariners all of which I find to be a Smurf-ish color. But the blue on Datejust, a 5711 or 15202 are quite spectacular.
Great watch in the photo, but I'm not a fan of the color strap or ostrich.
While I appreciate that ostrich is very durable, its not for me. Ever since I heard someone with rather exquisite taste say, "Ostrich, it looks like leather with acne," I've just never been able to look at it the same way. But just because its not for me, doesn't mean others shouldn't enjoy it.
I will take it
And I am in complete agreement with you vis-a-vis the blue. Blue can be a bit cartoony in certain hues. Also, I am not *always* the biggest fan of blue sunburst dials. Blue is just tricky with me, even though it is far and away my favorite color.
And I can definitely see where you stand with Ostrich. It does kind of look like leather with acne. But by that same logic, I guess you could say that gator looks scaley? Or lizard looks like dermatitis? It is a slippery slope! For me, ostrich is just so incredibly supple. I find it substantially more comfortable than gator. Also, at least from CF, a gator strap is something I need to save for. The 21mm lugs on the MUT Moon have their drawbacks.
Funny you say that. That combination was the impetus behind my gold ostrich idea. Somehow, despite having the EXACT same color scheme, it is much, much, much less successful. Maybe it is the white face of the Reverso?
Funny you say that. That combination was the impetus behind my gold ostrich idea. Somehow, despite having the EXACT same color scheme, it is much, much, much less successful. Maybe it is the white face of the Reverso? Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
that is interesting. i think the general styling of that reverso just lends more to that strap. the elegant moon-phase and indices shape on your MUT moon just make it a much more dressy watch. i think round v rectangle also play in here.
^I'm going to point out the louvre-like things on the case of the reverso. Helps to tie in the rougher texture, as opposed to the stark contrast between the totally smooth and polished MUT case and the ostrich.
So what's the deal with changing straps? Thinking about ordering a navy croc for my MUT grande from CF - can I change it myself or do I have to get someone to do it for me?
Frankly, I don't really trust shops either. At the end of the day, to be perfectly honest, it just adds a little bit of wabi sabi if you get a ding, scuff, etc. It is going to happen eventually, it is inevitable.
Good call on the textural difference. The MUT Moon is definitely a much... smoother watch.
On straps for the MUT, I'll second both Dino (I don't like ostrich, exept maybe from the leg, which I don't believe looks as plagued?, and not a fan of light straps, but I had to get one to find that out), and Stitchy, with his dark brown gator suggestion. Something along the lines of Cleav's Radiomir strap (without the contrasting stitching), would be perfect, I think.
An example of a smurf blue dial is the WG Submariner. See this in person then comparing it to even the 2-tone YG/SS Sub is a huge difference.
As for strap preferences. I have not ventured out on my Hamilton as I quite love the brown calf it is on. If I were to change I may go some sort of vintage leather because gator is a little too formal for the case.
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- › LOAKE APPRECIATION & SHOE P0RN THREAD 52 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 2 minutes ago
- › Ongoing Bespoke Projects 2 minutes ago
- › Vintage Ray Ban Expert 3 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 4 minutes ago
- › White Dinner Jacket/Tuxedo Jacket for Houston wedding 6 minutes ago
- › NWT Thom Browne for Brooks Brothers Black Fleece Grey Burgundy... 7 minutes ago
- › Viberg Boots 9 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 10 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 12 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Why am I not getting the mirror shine I want...
- › How do I polish my shoes but preserve the...
- › What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › Price list for Vass shoes and boots for 2016
- › Paris: Men's Fashion Week, Part 1
- › Advice on care and maintenance of Alden...
- › Help, the back of the inside of my shoes are...
- › Getting rid of a black spot on Wolverine boots
- › Removing a scratch from a pair of shoes
- › How to fix a scratch in Allen Edmond Park...