Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 7:08 am in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on 9/28/16 at 4:19am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 1902post #28516 of 483121/26/14 at 2:05pmpost #28517 of 483121/26/14 at 2:55pmQuote:
I think you are right! But thank you anyways, I have no qualms wearing it in its current state. When it goes back the the Maison in a year or so, I will see if they can get me a navy croc put on it.Quote:Originally Posted by Dino944
I agree, it has to be the right color blue...I'm not a fan of the current blue dialed two tone, all gold, or white gold Submariners all of which I find to be a Smurf-ish color. But the blue on Datejust, a 5711 or 15202 are quite spectacular.
Great watch in the photo, but I'm not a fan of the color strap or ostrich.
While I appreciate that ostrich is very durable, its not for me. Ever since I heard someone with rather exquisite taste say, "Ostrich, it looks like leather with acne," I've just never been able to look at it the same way. But just because its not for me, doesn't mean others shouldn't enjoy it.
I will take it
And I am in complete agreement with you vis-a-vis the blue. Blue can be a bit cartoony in certain hues. Also, I am not *always* the biggest fan of blue sunburst dials. Blue is just tricky with me, even though it is far and away my favorite color.
And I can definitely see where you stand with Ostrich. It does kind of look like leather with acne. But by that same logic, I guess you could say that gator looks scaley? Or lizard looks like dermatitis? It is a slippery slope! For me, ostrich is just so incredibly supple. I find it substantially more comfortable than gator. Also, at least from CF, a gator strap is something I need to save for. The 21mm lugs on the MUT Moon have their drawbacks.post #28518 of 483121/26/14 at 2:58pmpost #28519 of 483121/26/14 at 3:23pmQuote:
Funny you say that. That combination was the impetus behind my gold ostrich idea. Somehow, despite having the EXACT same color scheme, it is much, much, much less successful. Maybe it is the white face of the Reverso?post #28520 of 483121/26/14 at 4:01pmpost #28521 of 483121/26/14 at 4:01pm
indeed!Quote:Originally Posted by Newcomer
Funny you say that. That combination was the impetus behind my gold ostrich idea. Somehow, despite having the EXACT same color scheme, it is much, much, much less successful. Maybe it is the white face of the Reverso? Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
that is interesting. i think the general styling of that reverso just lends more to that strap. the elegant moon-phase and indices shape on your MUT moon just make it a much more dressy watch. i think round v rectangle also play in here.post #28522 of 483121/26/14 at 4:05pmGood points all around.
Also, in regards to the dark brown strap--I would caution against too dark of a brown. I really am not sure how well a dark brown strap would go with this watch. I think navy, maybe even a dark grey would look nice.post #28523 of 483121/26/14 at 4:10pm
^I'm going to point out the louvre-like things on the case of the reverso. Helps to tie in the rougher texture, as opposed to the stark contrast between the totally smooth and polished MUT case and the ostrich.
So what's the deal with changing straps? Thinking about ordering a navy croc for my MUT grande from CF - can I change it myself or do I have to get someone to do it for me?post #28524 of 483121/26/14 at 4:13pmthats a good point about the art-deco lines in the reverso case.
you can change it yourself, but you have to be careful. if you have never done so before, id recommend taking it somewhere trustworthy and watching them so you can learn for yourself.post #28525 of 483121/26/14 at 4:18pmOpen up my picture in a new window, and look at the lug above one o'clock. If you notice, near the strap, there is a nice little ding. That little bugger is a direct result of the spring bar tool slipping, and I have changed many-a-strap.
Frankly, I don't really trust shops either. At the end of the day, to be perfectly honest, it just adds a little bit of wabi sabi if you get a ding, scuff, etc. It is going to happen eventually, it is inevitable.
Good call on the textural difference. The MUT Moon is definitely a much... smoother watch.post #28526 of 483121/26/14 at 4:30pmpost #28527 of 483121/26/14 at 4:37pmStitchy, the Pam 210 is a great choice, one of the few I would consider should I ever pick up another Pammy. I think the Radiomir lends itself perfectly to a base dial, but (without checking) they don't have something like this anymore, do they? (Actually, I think my perfect Panerai would be a reduced Radiomir (42mm), steel with solid caseback, brown base dial and a slightly curved crystal (plexi or sapphire).)
On straps for the MUT, I'll second both Dino (I don't like ostrich, exept maybe from the leg, which I don't believe looks as plagued?, and not a fan of light straps, but I had to get one to find that out), and Stitchy, with his dark brown gator suggestion. Something along the lines of Cleav's Radiomir strap (without the contrasting stitching), would be perfect, I think.post #28528 of 483121/26/14 at 6:36pm
An example of a smurf blue dial is the WG Submariner. See this in person then comparing it to even the 2-tone YG/SS Sub is a huge difference.
As for strap preferences. I have not ventured out on my Hamilton as I quite love the brown calf it is on. If I were to change I may go some sort of vintage leather because gator is a little too formal for the case.post #28529 of 483121/26/14 at 7:39pmpost #28530 of 483121/26/14 at 7:46pm
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 1 minute ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 2 minutes ago
- › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread 4 minutes ago
- › Yanko - Made In Spain Shoes 7 minutes ago
- › Cars We Drive! 9 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 9 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 10 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 20 minutes ago
- › The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions 25 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 28 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...