or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 1852  

post #27766 of 48312
FWIW I just was talking about my 2 potential paths of future watch purchases to a group of TWAT members and a common theme on both was the Stowa Flieger. IMO it is the superior option aesthetically from those with the history of pilot watches. It is in fact my ONE pilot watch. But I prefer pilot watches simple, clean, and easy to read with no frills, while not needing to be the size of the original pilot watches. YMMV.
post #27767 of 48312
i think its actually the best flieger in terms of scale, stylistic options, the onion crown, etc
post #27768 of 48312
Hmmm...reading these comments plus taking another look at it is making me think it just might be worth the wait...sigh
post #27769 of 48312

Just make sure you are buying it for yourself. If the only negative you have about it is the wait time, well then, just wait, it'll be worth it. If you are looking for a brand with more prestige or that more people will pat you on the back over, I would save up for something else or hold off to figure out what really sings to you. Just my two cents, which are worth about half a cent of the open market.

post #27770 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLJr View Post

...the Stowa Flieger. IMO it is the superior option aesthetically from those with the history of pilot watches...simple, clean, and easy to read with no frills, while not needing to be the size of the original pilot watches.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde View Post

i think its actually the best flieger in terms of scale, stylistic options, the onion crown, etc

 

Agree with all of that.  I like it a lot.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLJr View Post
 

Just my two cents, which are worth about half a cent of the open market.

 

Or one mimo-dollar. :)

post #27771 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by aol910 View Post

Hmmm...reading these comments plus taking another look at it is making me think it just might be worth the wait...sigh

 

Wait.  I just checked.  All you have to do is pay a few extra bucks for the higher-spec movement (under $100 difference), and it's ready for you in four weeks.

 

Also, you've totally got me wanting one again now.   He who lives by the enable...

post #27772 of 48312

Mimo, get it. It'll be a nice addition to the current stable for you. If only you wore denim, it would pair quite well with denim :nest:

post #27773 of 48312
IWC from the Mad Med era (okay, just barely):

Hosting provided by FotoTime

Hosting provided by FotoTime
post #27774 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerP View Post

IWC from the Mad Med era (okay, just barely):



Hosting provided by FotoTime

 

Awesome!!!

post #27775 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLJr View Post
 

Just make sure you are buying it for yourself. If the only negative you have about it is the wait time, well then, just wait, it'll be worth it. If you are looking for a brand with more prestige or that more people will pat you on the back over, I would save up for something else or hold off to figure out what really sings to you. Just my two cents, which are worth about half a cent of the open market.

well I guess I still need to think about it as I'm still new to this and it seems like pretty much every week my list of "must-have" watches seems to change....

post #27776 of 48312

I think a (the?) definitive modern pilot watch for well under a grand is not only very unlikely to be a mistake, but even if it is, it will be one of your cheaper ones in the long term!

 

DL, just keep walking.  Nothing to see here.

 

Roger, you may well be the only coolest man in Canada.  And not because of the weather.  

post #27777 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by aol910 View Post
 

well I guess I still need to think about it as I'm still new to this and it seems like pretty much every week my list of "must-have" watches seems to change....


There is no shame in waiting. Go and tire kick somewhere; get some metal on your wrist and get an idea of things you like and don't like about different styles of watches. Watches you think you like and want to purchase go back and try on several times or keep a picture saved and look at it often if you can't try it in the flesh. If they still sing to you after a period of time, then you are likely making a good decision. This will all help with the aesthetic POV. If you want to talk guts, etc. come here and ask a question; someone will be able to give you the details you are after. Everyone here puts different weights on different areas of a watch (company history, movement, value retention, case finishing, innovation, etc.), so you'll have to figure that out as well. It's a very fun ride figuring out all this stuff.

post #27778 of 48312

That is all very true.  I have completely changed my view of several watches when trying them on - both loving watches I didn't think would work, and being disappointed by those I'd loved in pictures.

 

In the mean time, you can probably buy the Flieger, though. I mean, they don't have retail outlets anyway really so what you gonna do?

post #27779 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post
I mean, they don't have retail outlets anyway really so what you gonna do?

I would save a picture of it, maybe some wrist shots too, and bring them up once or twice a week for a while. make sure you still like it. It's the best you can do if you don't know someone who has one.

post #27780 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

That is all very true.  I have completely changed my view of several watches when trying them on - both loving watches I didn't think would work, and being disappointed by those I'd loved in pictures.

So true!

Happy Friday TWATers! Day 3 of ownershp and 3 straight days wearing the Big Pilot. I'm really loving this watch, even more than I had expected. The RO hasn't been out of the winder since the IWC arrived! I suppose as I go back to suits most of next week, we will become reacquainted. smile.gif

11871660843_019f91a0a1_z.jpg

11871482145_b3f922dc97_c.jpg

11871668743_33c31f8f1e_z.jpg
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)