Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 2:43 pm in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Yesterday at 10:00 am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 1829post #27421 of 483121/2/14 at 4:45pmpost #27422 of 483121/2/14 at 5:39pmpost #27423 of 483121/2/14 at 5:58pmpost #27424 of 483121/2/14 at 6:20pmpost #27425 of 483121/2/14 at 7:43pmBLNR is a beauty! Tried it on at the a Rolex boutique in NYC a few months ago.
Second installment of frillyvolous cuff link upgrade: picked up a pair in solid yellow gold from Patek Philippe earlier today.
Funny saga to all this: several hundred pages back, in this very same venerable TWAT thread, I went on and on about how extravagantly priced these were (for its MSRP you can get many models of preowned Rolexes); how I'm not sure I can pull off cuff links like them, etc etc. I even wondered if I can get the basic design copied easily by a jeweler for a much cheaper price. Guess what? I asked one of the better known local jewelers from Asia about a quote and they needed to import equipment from Australia to spec it out.
Even if a talented jeweler can replicate it perfectly my own thought was that the Calatrava cross was so Patek associated that I wouldn't want to have a piece like this replicated and implicitly have it pass as the real thing. Just not my style especially since I respect Patek. Now for some of the simpler designs that I want to tweak a bit and for which Tiffany wants to charge me triple what a local jeweler (whom they hire as a contractor) can quote - then that's a different story.
Long story short - I saw it, loved it, kept hemming and hawing for months. I even dragged DLJr and Newcomer to one of my dealers to talk me out of it... Only for them to see the piece in person and tell me to get it hahah. A true SF process here, nurtured by TWAT brothers like Dino944 who is a real cuff link guy and Stitchy who was always thumbs up for the Patek cuff links.
So yeah, I caved and got them today. Got to say they look good paired with the 3970J eh?
Is the frillyvolousness over?!? Time will tell!
/****** Apparently I live on Instagram too - mainly timepieces, shoes, attire and the occasional cheeseburger. @no_frills_vc. ******/post #27426 of 483121/2/14 at 8:05pmpost #27427 of 483121/2/14 at 8:16pmQuote:
Hahahahaha only a matter of time right! Hey I held out for about six to eight weeks!!! That's like, a frillyvolous record or something!!!
/****** Apparently I live on Instagram too - mainly timepieces, shoes, attire and the occasional cheeseburger. @no_frills_vc. ******/post #27428 of 483121/2/14 at 8:18pmFrilly:
Could you tell us more about the links and what makes them technically impressive? Looking at them, it is hard to see why they would be difficult for someone else to reproduce. The finishing is pretty outstanding, especially on the PPs, but, again, I am not sure someone see couldn't do the same.
It sounds like you asked other jewelers and they told you they couldn't do it. I wonder why.post #27429 of 483121/2/14 at 8:31pmAny good jeweler could reasonably replicate it, especially with CAD. I think he more meant that an exact replica made by someone not PP is kind of like whats the point. I agree.
Also, good luck replicating the box and papers.post #27430 of 483121/3/14 at 12:49ampost #27431 of 483121/3/14 at 3:46ampost #27432 of 483121/3/14 at 4:39amdopey, Stitchy, Cleav, HRoi, thanks. dopey, the jewelers with whom I spoke said they could replicate it. But all of them pointed out some caveat that made me pause. First, one of them needed special equipment from Australia - perhaps because for cuff links she was used to working only with sterling silver nowadays (try finding platinum cuff links via the usual retailers - ain't easy). Second, the price quotes weren't a huge discount - not 90% off, more like 40 to 50% off at best (for the Pateks I got 20% off MSRP already). Third, I saw some attempts at replicating the links up close and there were subtle but noticeable differences in curvature and parts. Don't know if they were just working off a 2D impression or botched it up completely.
Finally, while the Calatrava cross isn't uniquely Patek's (the symbol has been around for at least a thousand years) I personally wouldn't feel comfortable wearing a complete replica of a piece that was originally produced by a company I respect. Maybe I'm a chump for thinking this way, but I don't feel comfortable wearing links that ostensibly would pass for Pateks... When they aren't Pateks. I'll still try to find the best deals possible for the originals (I got them brand new, sealed), but I'll pay the premium for a design and make that a company I respect produced. Just my personal philosophy. In the same fashion there are super fakes for Birkins now produced in China - super fakes that supposedly can only be identified by Hermes' own master craftsmen, and that can be purchased for a fraction of the price. Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable going that route - or buying one and giving it to my wife as a gift.
Now, if I had a design in mind that seemed close to, say, Patek's or VC's Maltese cross but they didn't quite get it the way I specifically wanted... Tweaks here, a precious stone there... A solid back instead of swivel backs... Then I would work with a jeweler to realize that design. These wouldn't pass off as Pateks or anything else... They would be for me, even if parts were borrowed. Just like having bespoke suits made using standard fabrics.
Just the way I see it from my perspective.
HRoi - no eyebrows raised from my end. My cousin (who has headed up retail and design for a variety of multinational companies) strongly prefers the Alhambras too. If it can be accused of anything it's that it can look a bit feminine, and the MOP version certainly gives off that vibe. I have no problems with the white gold and onyx ones that I have though. And if my daughters (I have no sons) end up liking them and wearing them too, all the better!
/****** Apparently I live on Instagram too - mainly timepieces, shoes, attire and the occasional cheeseburger. @no_frills_vc. ******/post #27433 of 483121/3/14 at 5:11amAnd on that note - good morning! If you're being hit by the snow storm - as I am right now in NYC - stay safe and warm! Schools are closed today so will spend time with my kiddies - and ogle these "snowflakes in white gold." Phase 3 of the no frills cuff link upgrade process, again from Patek but this to complement my pieces in platinum and steel.
Stitchy - you were right. The frillyvolous spree didn't end with last night's post hahahaa.
/****** Apparently I live on Instagram too - mainly timepieces, shoes, attire and the occasional cheeseburger. @no_frills_vc. ******/post #27434 of 483121/3/14 at 7:10am
Frills - Looking good with all 3 sets of cufflinks. A personal preference is to lean towards the WG PP crosses. Flies more under the radar than the YG and I am on the fence with the clover shape of the other ones.
Bawlin - The all green LV is very loud if you have not seen it in person. It was in the running when I was looking at sub $10K Rolexes as the dial is mesmerizing but once I saw the BLNR, it was instant love. I think the anniversary LV would be more my style if I went with a Sub as I like the green bezel mixed with the black face.post #27435 of 483121/3/14 at 7:28amQuote:
dood. forget that. leave them to me.Quote:Originally Posted by no frills
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)Stitchy - you were right. The frillyvolous spree didn't end with last night's post hahahaa.
lovely. and im always right.
so, long story short, so far, frilly has spent about 5 figures on 3 pairs of cufflinks. stuff like that just platers a smile on my face.
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Official Sales Alert thread 4 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 6 minutes ago
- › Show us how you roll in Engineered Garments 12 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 16 minutes ago
- › What Movies Are You Watching Lately 17 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 18 minutes ago
- › When is the Next Brooks Brothers Sale? 22 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 22 minutes ago
- › The Official Beer Thread 24 minutes ago
- › 5th Annual Thrift Thread Gift Exchange Unveiling 26 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...