or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 1808  

post #27106 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerP View Post


If there is a significance to the difference in terms, it is lost on me. But there are Rolex forums where the meaning of all manner of arcane markings is well known.

Just don't use words like "overstatement" (which is actually quite kindly put) when you ask about the "superlative" question. ;-)
Ah yes... No negative connotation was meant other than to mean overstatement in the sense that it sounds superior to plain old "chronometer" as COSC do not have a superlative grade (athough maybe they should? tongue.gif ).

My DJ was bought new in 1997 and I think it must be one of the last years for tritium as I think most brands phased in switchover to superluminova around that time. I must admit I'm rather fond of tritium although i suppose superluminova is superior although having said that the lume is poor on my submariner frown.gif

Btw I forgot to say the facet hands on your old Daydate is wonderful smile.gif
Edited by Chuckie Egg - 12/17/13 at 11:43am
post #27107 of 48312
Anybody have thoughts on the Calibre de Cartier diver?

Recently featured on Hodinkee, or some nice pics also here on TZ (credit: Jorge Merino)...

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=6674557&rid=0#msg_6674557

Let's just say I think it's a very interesting.....mash-up...to turn that particular style of watch into a functional diver's piece.
post #27108 of 48312
TC - that's my grail watch (for now!).........41mm is perfect!!!!

Just curious...........why didn't you go with the black or navy face?
post #27109 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post

TC - that's my grail watch (for now!).........41mm is perfect!!!!

Just curious...........why didn't you go with the black or navy face?

Thanks! Just a matter of personal taste, I've always had a strong preference for the white/silver dial on this watch. I must admit that the watch as a whole is a little blingier in person than I was expecting (which is exacerbated by the white dial), which is perfectly fine by me. smile.gif

Also, both my other watches have black dials (Submariner and Panerai), so it's nice to have some variety.
post #27110 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckie Egg View Post


Ah yes... No negative connotation was meant other than to mean overstatement in the sense that it sounds superior to plain old "chronometer" as COSC do not have a superlative grade (athough maybe they should? tongue.gif ).

My DJ was bought new in 1997 and I think it must be one of the last years for tritium as I think most brands phased in switchover to superluminova around that time. I must admit I'm rather fond of tritium although i suppose superluminova is superior although having said that the lume is poor on my submariner frown.gif

Btw I forgot to say the facet hands on your old Daydate is wonderful smile.gif

 

 

Thanks - everything about that watch was pretty terrific, except for the too much text on the dial, which goes with the territory.  For a watch as old a I am, it was in far better shape, and kept nearly perfect time once it had been serviced.  Impressive.

 

I knew what you meant about the overstatement and quite agree - not watch is officially certified to be a "superlative chronometer".  Overstatement is about the most charitable characterization one could accurately apply.  I just wouldn't recommend pointing that out in a Rolex forum - those good folks can be quite touchy about that sort of thing (which is true to some degree of any brand with a large and loyal following).

 

A higher level of chronometer testing I something that has been discussed many times over the years among enthusiasts, but has never really gained traction in the industry.  I'd like to see it, but I can understand why there would be resistance among the big three that collectively account for nearly all the chronometer testing (Rolex, Omega, Breitling). 

post #27111 of 48312


So, unfortunately not mine, but where I am staying in New York just so happens to be a block away from the Audemars Piguet boutique. Well, I am glad I went in!! They were holding the piece for a customer who was coming in later on in the evening. I have to say... I am absolutely in love.
post #27112 of 48312
^^^^^ I'm torn between that watch and your avatar.........

TC - makes sense.......should have known this was just one of your many timepieces nod[1].gif
post #27113 of 48312
Nuke, save some tire kicking for Thursday!
post #27114 of 48312
Tire kicking will be saved!! I am glad I got to see this though, since it is gone gone gone now!
post #27115 of 48312
i love the white faced RO. so pure and crisp and clean. i also love teh blue.

i hope that is a decision i have to make someday.
post #27116 of 48312
Nuke, that is/was a beauty and it looked fantastic on you. nod[1].gif

Thanks for sharin
post #27117 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post



So, unfortunately not mine, but where I am staying in New York just so happens to be a block away from the Audemars Piguet boutique. Well, I am glad I went in!! They were holding the piece for a customer who was coming in later on in the evening. I have to say... I am absolutely in love.

I know the feeling.  I tried it on there in May of 2012 and then by August it was a done deal.  On other models there is a choice of dial color, but on the Jumbo they make it easy...you can have any color as long as its blue.  IMHO the blue on the Jumbo is stunning and takes on different shades depending on lighting.  It should also be noted, that the color blue used on the Jumbo, on the new 41mm Chronograph, and on the 41mm 15400, is a different shade for each watch.

 

Here is a quick shot of one of my favorite views.  

post #27118 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post
 

I know the feeling.  I tried it on there in May of 2012 and then by August it was a done deal.  On other models there is a choice of dial color, but on the Jumbo they make it easy...you can have any color as long as its blue.  IMHO the blue on the Jumbo is stunning and takes on different shades depending on lighting.  It should also be noted, that the color blue used on the Jumbo, on the new 41mm Chronograph, and on the 41mm 15400, is a different shade for each watch.

 

 

There's rumblings on other forums that newer batches of the Jumbo have a blue color this is darker. There seems to be a lot of blue variants in the AP world.

post #27119 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by qubed View Post
 

 

There's rumblings on other forums that newer batches of the Jumbo have a blue color this is darker. There seems to be a lot of blue variants in the AP world.

Yes, I heard something about a possible change in the color AP is using on the Jumbo.  I love the color of mine and the way it reacts to different lighting situations.  Yes, AP has used lots of blues for various models. 

post #27120 of 48312


All sorts of color/funkiness - what do you guys think?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)