if they would just stagger the dial cut by the date window, or put a damn metal frame around it, it would be a grail watch for me, but that lifeless date window makes me mad.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 3/28/13 at 6:29am in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Yesterday at 5:25 pm in Classic Menswear
- Anyone had a BAD exp with prestigetime.com? Last post on 2/1/16 at 9:53am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 1764post #26446 of 4829311/18/13 at 5:50pm
Styles mentioned in this thread:post #26447 of 4829311/18/13 at 6:14pmQuote:Originally Posted by Newcomer
I was hoping that you would chime in Dino. It is always great to hear your perspective.
I definitely plan on trying the 15202 on before taking the plunge, although finding one is definitely another problem. I called my AD (I like to do so in advance), and it sounds like there is quite a wait on these. I have tried the 5711, and I found it immensely comfortable. I did find the bracelet a bit light, but not so light that I found it flimsy. So it really depends on how the RO wears on the wrist.
One thing with the 5711 and the 5712 that I cannot ignore is the price. I feel like everyone has a line when it comes to pricing. For me... there comes a point in time when I cannot justify spending so much for a steel watch. These two watches are almost impossible to criticize, they both have so many virtues. So I hate that price comes into the picture for me, but $5,000 is still $5,000. And like you said, there are other Pateks that I would like.
Each are great watches. I've always bit a bit more in love with the RO's design, but that's subjective. I thought the bracelet on the Nautilus was very comfortable, not flimsy, but far too thin. I wanted a watch I could wear everyday without worrying how the bracelet would hold up. I haven't ruled out a Nautilus for myself at some point. For me its a watch I could own in addition to a RO Jumbo, but not instead of one.
As for pricing, both are a quite pricey for a steel watch. Price is often a consideration with any good watch purchase, and it definitely wouldn't be fun to buy something and be stressed because its beyond your comfort level. That being said, if you don't love the RO then I'd say don't buy it simply because its slightly less expensive. Perhaps a LNIB Nautilus will work for you if that's the watch you truly want. These watches are too expensive to not get the one you really want. You don't want to buy a watch that's your second choice for that amount, and then always wishing you purchased something else.Quote:
The case and movement are beautiful...but I've never been a fan of the dial. The date window annoys me, the applied Roman markers with lum look a bit clumsy for a Patek, and even the hands bother me (reminding me a bit of thinner Corum Bubble watch hands). I can appreciate that one gets a nicely complicated watch for a lot less than a true perpetual, but for me it doesn't make the grade. Oh well, Mrs. Dino is always thankful when there is a watch that's not on my "Must haves list."post #26448 of 4829311/18/13 at 6:18pmpost #26449 of 4829311/18/13 at 6:44pm
Yes, I will have to see them side by side to really get a good feel on it. And I am definitely not siding with either... I think that they are both just superb choices. It is like choosing between a Sub and a GMT and a Daytona. Is there really a right answer? I guess I will wait to see what makes my heart go aflutter.post #26450 of 4829311/19/13 at 5:08amBetween the RO and Nautilus, I much prefer the RO. It may just be me, but while the colour of the Nauty is nice, I prefer the texture of the RO.
BTW, not sure if anyone noticed, but my Reverso engraving made it into the Oct issue of The Rake magazine!! Can post a capture if anyone is interested.post #26451 of 4829311/19/13 at 5:33ampost #26452 of 4829311/19/13 at 5:41am
Frilly - congrats to your cousin. :)Quote:Originally Posted by DLJr
Greg had on the PanoMaticLunar on Saturday. I love that watch, and I am positive I love it because I've heard Dino's opinion of it a few times now and still come out loving it!
Stiches, since I had to leave early Sunday and didn't have a chance to chat, I think we should organize a twat event in the near future. Maybe do a tire kicking event in honor of Mimo.
I saw it during my original "tyre-kicking" frenzy, and I love it too.
Were you hungry when you wrote this?
My two penn'rth on your original question: The RO Jumbo is the AP you ultimately want. The Nautilus isn't the PP you ultimately want. If the BLNR is your favourite Rolex, then I'd be tempted to say get it because it's much cheaper, and so what if you've already got a "sporty" watch? You've a chrono, which is different I don't see that they should be mutually exclusive. Nor even that the Rolex is unwearable with a suit - there are plenty of Subs that live in offices, if not most of them, and certainly plenty of GMTs and Explorer IIs.
So simple question: if the BLNR is absolutely your favourite Rolex, get that because it's cheaper and it's cool. If you're not sure and maybe a Daytona or a gold Sub or whatever is really your ultimate Rolex, then take a deep breath, sell a kidney and get the Jumbo. It's the only one about which you were completely unequivocal: it's your perfect AP, so get it. The perfect PP can come next year.
I am. Please post.post #26453 of 4829311/19/13 at 6:16ampost #26454 of 4829311/19/13 at 6:21ampost #26455 of 4829311/19/13 at 6:27am
Haha, I will edit my post to reflect that the dial is tapisserie, I guess I juxtaposed the t and the p . Maybe it was getting close to lunch time though! Gosh Mimo, excellent words of advice, I have to say you make a very convincing argument. I think that the BLNR is one that I want the most out of the current Rolex models, but I would like to see if they ever go back to a Pepsi bezel. Also, I doubt that the BLNR is going anywhere anytime soon.
From what I have heard, the 15202 is realllllly hard to get your hands on. Which makes me wants it more.post #26456 of 4829311/19/13 at 6:34ampost #26457 of 4829311/19/13 at 6:59amQuote:
Really cool engraving.
When I was getting my Reverso I loved the idea of being able to get some engraving on the flip side of the case, but in the end I couldn't pass up the idea of basically getting two watches in one. Went with the duo, which as it happens, I have on today:post #26458 of 4829311/19/13 at 6:59ampost #26459 of 4829311/19/13 at 7:32am
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Antiques, antiques auctions, recent purchases and discussion 18 seconds ago
- › Random food thoughts - Street edition 38 seconds ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 2 minutes ago
- › VESTS / Stuff-carrying gear 2 minutes ago
- › Gitman Brothers Vintage 3 minutes ago
- › The Walking Dead (AMC) 5 minutes ago
- › NBA 2015-2016 Season Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 6 minutes ago
- › Daily CE Musings of Piob 6 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 6 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
- › Comparison of shoe products - Lexol vs Saphir...