or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 1760  

post #26386 of 48312

Is this a good buy? or bad?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/watchismo/xeriscope-the-orbiting-mechanical-automatic-watch?ref=live

Its $400 and kinda has the same concept as the omega one below but for way less. 

 

Omega DE VILLE TOURBILLON CO-AXIAL

Price: 257,000

post #26387 of 48312

I will stick my neck out and say "no".  Or at least, not particularly.  It's only $350, so in that sense how bad a buy could it be?  But I say "no" on the basis that two basic premises are false:

 

Firstly, it's nothing at all like the "concept" of a tourbillon, let alone the complexity.  It's a skeletonised dial like a million others.  True, the way the hour is indicated is kind of cool, if barely legible, but it's not making any big engineering breakthrough as they imply, as far as I can tell (I await the more knowledgeable input of others here!).

 

And secondly, their assertion that there is some shortage of affordable mechanical watches is patently ridiculous.  A Chinese mechanical watch can be had for $50.  I bought a Japanese one for my son last month that was barely over $100, and of proven quality.  Even a respectable Swiss automatic can be had for under $500.

 

Which brings me on to another thing: they talk deliberately about "building relationships with Swiss manufacturers" and "designed in California".  And then omit to mention the obvious point which is where these things are made.  The answer, no doubt, is China.  But really, why all the bullshit?  It's an unusual design, but there are a lot around - in similar price ranges with remarkably similar fake-rose-gold finishes, skeleton dials and weird hands.

 

If you like it, buy one, it's cheap and may yet become a known brand somehow.  But in my ignorant opinion, it's not special, so don't think you're getting a Bentley for the price of a Honda.  This is a Geely (look it up!).

post #26388 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

im no grown up

 

You must be.  You wear a Rolex where Frenchmen fear to tread...

 

Baltimore: “Considered a dangerous city except downtown.

post #26389 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Male View Post

I respect the Daytona both as an iconic design and for the technical excellence of its current incarnation, but I just don't particularly like it on my wrist. Discovering this was both a surprise and a disappointment!

I agree. It was one of my grail watches for a while. Bought a black dial and found that I didn't wear it. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful watch (although I think the white dial is a little easier to read than the black dial) but I found it a "tweener" - too dressy for a sport watch, too flashy/busy for a dress watch. I traded it (along with a fair amount of cash...) for the new AP RO chrono. All is good.
post #26390 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeypotato View Post
 

Is this a good buy? or bad?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/watchismo/xeriscope-the-orbiting-mechanical-automatic-watch?ref=live

Its $400 and kinda has the same concept as the omega one below but for way less. 

 

 

Omega DE VILLE TOURBILLON CO-AXIAL

Price: 257,000

I would say no, at least not right away.  My biggest concern is that they make no mention of who makes the movement and where the watches are put together (unless I'm missing something).  If the movement was made by a respectable, proven company, I would think they would be bragging about that.  

 

That's not to say it's a bad watch--it could be great.  However, if I were you, I would wait until there are some reviews out there and the company has built some sort of reputation (good or bad).  

 

Also, the reason the Omega is so expensive is because it contains a tourbillon, which is probably the most complex (and arguably most elegant) component that a mechanical watch can include.  You can read about them here:

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourbillon 

post #26391 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseHide View Post


I agree. It was one of my grail watches for a while. Bought a black dial and found that I didn't wear it. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful watch (although I think the white dial is a little easier to read than the black dial) but I found it a "tweener" - too dressy for a sport watch, too flashy/busy for a dress watch. I traded it (along with a fair amount of cash...) for the new AP RO chrono. All is good.

As I always say no watch can be everything to everyone.  As a Daytona and RO owner (A Jumbo, not chronograph) I can appreciate both and find a place for each in my collection.  People can lose interest or decide a watch isn't for them no matter what the brand or model is...think of all the stores with preowned Submariners, ROs, Calatravas, Reversos, Big Pilots, PAMs etc.  It reminds me of the old saying, "No matter how hot some girl is, somewhere out there is a guy who is sick of putting up with her sh*t." (That is of course unless its in reference to this thread's mascot, Kate Upton).

 

On a technical level the Daytona movement is more advanced, although the finish of the RO Chrono is finer. I'm sure some people are not fans of the polished center links and lugs on current Daytonas (I wish the lugs were still brushed). However, I've gotten used to them (although they can be scratch magnets) and I think they add some versatility to the watch so it works nicely with a suit.  Its also a watch that's more rugged, and which I'd be more apt to wear for far more active/contact sports/activities.

 

I also find the Daytona is easier to use if I actually want to time something.  I get the idea of making screw down pusher pieces on the RO chronograph that sort of mirror its bezel, but they are too smooth and difficult to grip, so unscrewing them to use the chronograph is a pain.  This was an issue on the old 39mm RO Chrono and its still and issue on the 41mm version.  That being said, I do like the RO chrono a lot and if I were to get a second RO it would probably be the RO Chronograph.

post #26392 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post
 

I will stick my neck out and say "no".  Or at least, not particularly.  It's only $350, so in that sense how bad a buy could it be?  But I say "no" on the basis that two basic premises are false:

 

Firstly, it's nothing at all like the "concept" of a tourbillon, let alone the complexity.  It's a skeletonised dial like a million others.  True, the way the hour is indicated is kind of cool, if barely legible, but it's not making any big engineering breakthrough as they imply, as far as I can tell (I await the more knowledgeable input of others here!).

 

And secondly, their assertion that there is some shortage of affordable mechanical watches is patently ridiculous.  A Chinese mechanical watch can be had for $50.  I bought a Japanese one for my son last month that was barely over $100, and of proven quality.  Even a respectable Swiss automatic can be had for under $500.

 

Which brings me on to another thing: they talk deliberately about "building relationships with Swiss manufacturers" and "designed in California".  And then omit to mention the obvious point which is where these things are made.  The answer, no doubt, is China.  But really, why all the bullshit?  It's an unusual design, but there are a lot around - in similar price ranges with remarkably similar fake-rose-gold finishes, skeleton dials and weird hands.

 

If you like it, buy one, it's cheap and may yet become a known brand somehow.  But in my ignorant opinion, it's not special, so don't think you're getting a Bentley for the price of a Honda.  This is a Geely (look it up!).

 

Agreed on all accounts Mimo.  When I see a watch project on Kickstarter I immediately think that their special <$1,000 watch was scratched down on paper where ever they say it was designed and built in China.  The only watch I'd buy from Kickstarter would be the Pebble e-ink watch and that is because the whole package is beautiful.

 

Not to start the whole discussion that China watches are terribly made (~B~ is showing us there is craftsmanship in China) again but Kickstarter just screams of trying to make a quick buck.

post #26393 of 48312
+1

The Daytona is a great watch no question, just not a great watch for me.

R
post #26394 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeypotato View Post

Is this a good buy? or bad? Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/watchismo/xeriscope-the-orbiting-mechanical-automatic-watch?ref=live
Its $400 and kinda has the same concept as the omega one below but for way less. 



Omega DE VILLE TOURBILLON CO-AXIAL
Price: 257,000

do not want. i like some of the omega tours, but not that one. no not at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

You must be.  You wear a Rolex where Frenchmen fear to tread...
Baltimore:
 “Considered
 a dangerous city except downtown.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL @ “Considered a dangerous city except downtown." downtown (well, much of it) is the most dangerous part of baltimore.
post #26395 of 48312
Because something this beautiful simply must be seen up close:

7y2unypa.jpg

Like, REALLY up close:

memu6eta.jpg

Still pales in comparison to actually seeing it on the wrist, by the way.



/****** Apparently I live on Instagram too - mainly timepieces, shoes, attire and the occasional cheeseburger. @no_frills_vc. ******/
post #26396 of 48312

You're bored in an airport or something, aren't you Frilly?

 

I've also got a funny feeling that, even though you're wearing the absolute queen of your Patek collection (and the one I've got dibs on if we lesser TWATters get together to burgle your safe-less house), today you're actually delighting most in your new iPhone (still!)  

 

I love that watch.  One day, I will come to visit you and see how it looks on my wrist.  But don't worry, you can almost certainly outrun me and have much bigger biceps.  I won't try anything; promise. :) 

post #26397 of 48312
@frilly drool.gifinlove.gifdrool.gif
post #26398 of 48312
Speaking of seeing it in person, are you able to make the trunk show Saturday or Sunday Frills? If so, let me know. Be nice to see one of your perpetuals while having a scotch, and obviously talk about Anchorman 2 haha.
post #26399 of 48312
I had a light afternoon so I hit a couple of jewelry stores to do a little diligence. The first store had 5 second hand APs in stock, and I tried on a Royal Oak 15300 in rose gold on brown strap, and a Royal Oak Dual Time 26120 in stainless. Both were really beautiful, but at 39mm definitely a tad small for my wrist size and taste. I think I'm pretty well decided on the stainless 15400 with white face and will pull the trigger after the holidays.

On the way home, I swung by another jeweler that is an IWC AD because I've really wanted to try a Big Pilot (which is also on my wish list). Unfortunately they didn't have any in the store, but I tried on several of the 41mm Rolexes and also the Sky-Dweller, which is a pretty neat watch. I haven't really been very interested in the Datejust models in many years (although I bought Mrs. TC a 40mm a couple years ago that she wears as her daily). I'm probably in the minority here, but I really like the size and weight of the new models. I tried on a rose gold Day Date just for kicks, and surprisingly I really liked the look and feel on my wrist. Love the rose gold. This watch wouldn't crack the top 5 for me, but I could see owning one if I had a more extensive collection.

Also, not sure if this is some kind of sign, but I drove the F355 today and had a very fortunate near miss. I parked it in in one of the few reserved spots in front of the second jewelry store--I was the only customer there. About 5 minutes later some lady comes rushing in the store shouting that someone's red Ferrari is rolling into the middle of the parking lot. I came out to find it sitting in the middle of the parking lot driveway about a foot from another car. Didn't hit anything . . . phew!!! The parking brake can be a little tricky in that if you catch it funny in between two clicks it may not engage. I usually double check if I'm on any kind of a slope but this lot is almost flat and I didn't even think about it. That could have killed my watch budget! LOL
post #26400 of 48312
Quote:
It reminds me of the old saying, "No matter how hot some girl is, somewhere out there is a guy who is sick of putting up with her sh*t." (That is of course unless its in reference to this thread's mascot, Kate Upton).

Saved yourself with the qualifier ha ha.


Quote:
Also, not sure if this is some kind of sign, but I drove the F355 today and had a very fortunate near miss. I parked it in in one of the few reserved spots in front of the second jewelry store--I was the only customer there. About 5 minutes later some lady comes rushing in the store shouting that someone's red Ferrari is rolling into the middle of the parking lot. I came out to find it sitting in the middle of the parking lot driveway about a foot from another car. Didn't hit anything . . . phew!!! The parking brake can be a little tricky in that if you catch it funny in between two clicks it may not engage. I usually double check if I'm on any kind of a slope but this lot is almost flat and I didn't even think about it. That could have killed my watch budget! LOL


Zadok's?

Talk about dodging a bullet! Go buy a lottery ticket!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)