Understandably so; it really is a handsome watch.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 12:09 pm in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on 10/23/16 at 10:43am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 1741post #26101 of 4831211/5/13 at 7:37ampost #26102 of 4831211/5/13 at 7:51am
Roger: I hear you; mine certainly fulfills that job for now. Yours is lovely; I really like how clean it is.
Frilly: the gangster look is really working for you! Will try to get a pic of my gangster coat...post #26103 of 4831211/5/13 at 8:39amQuote:
ZOMG SAME HERE!!
set aside my rolex for the JLC today (no vis). forgot how much i love it. i think my issue is that i am just so lazy that i tend to stick with what i have from yesterday, as opposed to putting one back in the box and taking out another. its like 15 seconds of my time, but i just rather grab what i left on my dresser the night before and run with it. im so lazy. pathetic.
also, i think i have recovered from sending away my panny. not sold yet, but its been sent off and my heart has recovered from the original shock.post #26104 of 4831211/5/13 at 8:48ampost #26105 of 4831211/5/13 at 9:22amCheers gents. Moo - it's a vintage piece dating back to the early or mid-sixties at best guess. My watchmaker can accurately date it by referencing the Omega archives, but it is running so well at present I don't think it will be heading for service any time soon. Movement is the rock solid Omega 30-T2 hand wind. It is very much an oversized piece for the time @ 39mm, and the very thin bezel makes it look even larger.post #26106 of 4831211/5/13 at 9:39amQuote:Originally Posted by RogerP
Cheers gents. Moo - it's a vintage piece dating back to the early or mid-sixties at best guess. My watchmaker can accurately date it by referencing the Omega archives, but it is running so well at present I don't think it will be heading for service any time soon. Movement is the rock solid Omega 30-T2 hand wind. It is very much an oversized piece for the time @ 39mm, and the very thin bezel makes it look even larger.
Quite a looker.
Sapphire? Or is it an old acrylic crystal? Nice pics either way.post #26107 of 4831211/5/13 at 9:47am
It's a beauty, and the size makes it look so modern. The blued second hand really makes it too. It could easily be a new "retro" edition Aqua-Terra or something, except that now they wouldn't be able to resist writing stuff all over the dial somehow!
It's definitely no more recent than mid-sixties in my inexpert opinion: mine's about 1970, and even from a year or two before that, the case shapes seemed to change a bit. You really picked a plum there.post #26108 of 4831211/5/13 at 11:15amThanks Mimo my man. Aint that the truth about about the irresistible urge for contemporary manufacturers to cram a dial chock full of pointless text? This is another one of those pieces that I had "dibs" on with a fellow collector and friend. He probably had the watch for 15 years before deciding to let it go, but still remembered to offer it to me first.
It's acrylic Keith - sapphire wasn't much in use back then.post #26109 of 4831211/5/13 at 11:22amAcrylic is so nice... back when I was deciding which Omega Speedy model to purchase, I was semi-set on the sapphire model because I enjoyed my other watches with the sapphire crystal. When I tried both the acrylic and the sapphire, the sapphire version was underwhelming when held next to the acrylic, which had a wonderful glow and "softness" that the sapphire lacked. The decision was easy.post #26110 of 4831211/5/13 at 12:07pmFinally took delivery of my OEM deployment clasp with alligator strap. The effect is quite a bit more dramatic than I was expecting--it feels so much more elegant. Thanks to Stitch and DerekS for the guidance on this purchase.post #26111 of 4831211/5/13 at 12:25pmpost #26112 of 4831211/5/13 at 12:34pmpost #26113 of 4831211/5/13 at 12:39pmpost #26114 of 4831211/5/13 at 1:26pmpost #26115 of 4831211/5/13 at 1:49pm
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › The (Un)Official Thrift Buy /Sell / Trade / Want Thread 2 minutes ago
- › nice leather strap watch gift for fiance 2 minutes ago
- › Self Edge SF/NY/LA/PDX - Japanese Denim & More (Iron Heart,... 2 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 4 minutes ago
- › Take all of the guns. All of them. 5 minutes ago
- › Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned? 5 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 7 minutes ago
- › What are the rules on wearing odd trousers that have... 10 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 10 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 10 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...