Is that the Mark XV Kaplan? I just love - LOVE - that style of hands from IWC.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 10:41 am in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Yesterday at 4:19 am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 1686post #25276 of 483129/30/13 at 4:06pmpost #25277 of 483129/30/13 at 4:24pmpost #25278 of 483129/30/13 at 5:23pmpost #25279 of 483129/30/13 at 5:34pmQuote:
Obviously the angle of the photo distorts the size of the watches, but those hands (along with the numerals all along the dial) makes it the easiest to read at a glance, even though it's the smallest of the three (38 vs 40 vs 44mm).post #25280 of 483129/30/13 at 8:01pmQuote:Originally Posted by mimo
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)Forgive me, friends, I am about to serve a baked potato at the Ritz: this might be an appropriate topic for the "PMW" thread, but frankly it's bad enough being a poor man of late without defining myself as such by only talking to other cheapskates. So suck it up. In this thread, I believe, we are all just "men"!This is supposed to be a cheap little trinket, so what's the best deal on a new one, and is it worth it over a NOS older one, that's under $200? Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The subject at hand? Seiko, and specifically, the "Monsters".
You see, it's like this: I ordered a watch a while ago, that will finally get to me in a couple of months, God willing. It's a PMW by definition, and my initial justification was that I have a dress watch that does a job, but nothing more sporty. I would like to wear a watch on the beach, especially when exercising there. My non water-resistant and elderly Omega is not the creature. So I convinced myself to buy a suitable PMW, pending sufficient funds for something better down the line.
The thing is, I'm kidding myself. The PMW in question is, although of laughable modesty by this thread's standards, far from disposable. And for all its impressive durability, I have a funny feeling that I will be wearing it more widely as a casual piece for its own sake, and actually rather reluctant to risk bashing it about in the sand. So because of that, and perhaps also because I'm bored of waiting already (but not that because my beloved would be angry at my getting another watch out of childish impatience alone so it can't be true), I thought I'd get another PMW. Or, to put it more accurately, an Even-P-er-MW.
Enter the Monster. On which subject, two questions concern me: black or orange, and old or new?
On the former point, I'm leaning towards orange, mainly because it's so distinctively not a Submariner homage. It's a big stupid orange thing. But then, it's a big stupid orange thing and maybe black is less stupid. You get what I mean. Still, on the beach, big stupid orange maybe works?
On the latter point, more difficulty: as I understand it, the newer and older are pretty much the same in size, look and function, bar two things: the movement in the newer one hacks, and also allows manual winding. As I'm not carrying out any daring special operations requiring watch synchronisation (or maybe I'll use the proper PMW for that), I don't care about the hacking thing. The manual winding might be rather useful, though, for something I won't wear most of the day. But how much more is it worth?
And a wild card: anyone admit to liking any other very cheap, properly-waterproof (i.e. screw down crown) beach beater?
I'd probably get one with the 4R36 movement. Iirc, this Dutch seller is well regarded on the forums and he has a bunch of the older 7s26 and newer 4R36 : http://www.monsterwatches.eu/eu/index.php/home
You can also check if any of these ebay sellers have what you want (I've bought from all 3):
Premierworldpost #25281 of 483129/30/13 at 8:15pm
I appreciate all the comments and thoughts on the JLC Navy Diver
IMO, I think its one of the best looking divers out there. In fact, the only reason i even looked into it, was because I could not stop staring at it when watching the Lettermen Show as Bill Clinton was wearing it.
I understand the hesitation for people to accept, I guess if Im okay with knowing it has in house JLC movement and looks the way it does....good for mepost #25282 of 483129/30/13 at 8:37pmpost #25283 of 483129/30/13 at 9:54pmpost #25284 of 4831210/1/13 at 4:54ampost #25285 of 4831210/1/13 at 6:02ampost #25286 of 4831210/1/13 at 6:42ampost #25287 of 4831210/1/13 at 7:03ampost #25288 of 4831210/1/13 at 7:13amQuote:
Superb legibility indeed.post #25289 of 4831210/1/13 at 7:26ampost #25290 of 4831210/1/13 at 7:34amHandsome watch. Longines offers a lot of nice offerings at good price points. With this particular model, I wish the minute hand was longer, but that may just be me being picky..
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 2 seconds ago
- › Rule of thumb 29 seconds ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 2 minutes ago
- › Belt or Side-Adjusters on Separate Trousers? 2 minutes ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 4 minutes ago
- › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general 8 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 10 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 12 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 13 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 14 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...