or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 1684  

post #25246 of 48312
wear it and ogle. teacha.gif
post #25247 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post

I had the chance to check out the JLC Deep Sea Chronograph in person yesterday. I was impressed. But also puzzled. It's a very functional sport diving chronograph, but in an exquisite level of finish. So exquisite that you'll never want to go in the water with it. Or do the dishes. It's the kind of watch I'd snap up in a lower level of finish, with corresponding price. But what does one do with it as is?

 

Couldn't you say the same of a Royal Oak or a Nautilus?  I suppose, arguably, you could say that the JLC looks even more sporty, but surely the principle is the same: absolute, genuine water-and bullet-proof sporty integrity, to be cradled lovingly against one's carefully-tailored cashmere sleeve.

 

I'd take this as a sign of ambition from JLC - taking on the big three for the top of the desk-diving market.  Rolex already make everything you'd need for actually getting wet.  Or Omega.  Or Stowa.  Or Seiko. So why would JLC make something genuinely robust with utilitarian finishing they they'd have to sell more cheaply? I think it might diminish the brand identity they're trying to build, of a truly top-of-the-market maker.  To get there, the must always be beautifully finished, and functionally irrelevant - even when appealing to the chunky/sporty trends of the modern age. :nodding: 

post #25248 of 48312
Yes but chunky is awful. I've reserved comment on the AP Offshores and JLC's other sport watches. They don't appeal to me. This does, but ehh....
post #25249 of 48312
My biggest problem with the JLCs is no metal bracelet. It is a huge detriment to what looks like a great higher-end alternative to a Rolex
post #25250 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post
 

To get there, they must always be beautifully finished, and functionally irrelevant 

 

How true is this for a lot of things even outside the watch world?  Someone will buy that JLC and use it for everything as well as beat the hell out of it but the majority will ogle it and tell everyone about the functions.  

post #25251 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarwick View Post

How true is this for a lot of things even outside the watch world?  Someone will buy that JLC and use it for everything as well as beat the hell out of it but the majority will ogle it and tell everyone about the functions.  

Agreed. I wouldn't buy a sports watch I couldn't afford to use as such. Everyone has their price point at which they feel comfortable for regular hard use and if you don't want a "garage queen" then stay under it.
post #25252 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by akatsuki View Post


That is what keeps me from buying one as well. Journe claims he has sorted it all out and that the first batch was what gave him a bad name, and it is hard to rebuild your rep.

What he should do is put a real bloody warranty on them for repairs for like 5 years at least.

+1 Exactly.  If he gave the watches a substantial warranty it might help rebuild his reputation for building quality products that he stands behind.  Taking his word for it merely being a bad first batch and that he has sorted out the problems just doesn't cut it.  Particularly when so many owners have complained about reliability and getting raped when it comes to repair bills.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xunguila View Post
 

This one doesn't get out of my wrist, recently.

 

 

It's an Audemars Piguet Royal Oak (15400).

 

Congrats and enjoy.  Its a beauty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post

I had the chance to check out the JLC Deep Sea Chronograph in person yesterday. I was impressed. But also puzzled. It's a very functional sport diving chronograph, but in an exquisite level of finish. So exquisite that you'll never want to go in the water with it. Or do the dishes. It's the kind of watch I'd snap up in a lower level of finish, with corresponding price. But what does one do with it as is?

I thought it was nice but nothing special, especially at its price point.  I was actually expecting to be impressed but left feeling that's one that won't make it onto my "Must have's list."   Although, I believe Mrs. Dino is thankful for that!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

 

I'd take this as a sign of ambition from JLC - taking on the big three for the top of the desk-diving market. ... I think it might diminish the brand identity they're trying to build, of a truly top-of-the-market maker.  To get there, the must always be beautifully finished, and functionally irrelevant - even when appealing to the chunky/sporty trends of the modern age. :nodding: 

Sorry, but as much as I love JLC, and I look forward to adding a Reverso to my collection at some point, I think you are perceiving them as trying to compete with PP, AP, and VC...when I don't think that's their goal.  I don't say it to take away from them.  I think they are a credit to the watch industry that they provide a tremendous product at generally a much lower price than the big three.  They have always been a great watch making company, but one that has been comfortable not striving to compete directly with the big three.  They have supplied movement to them, which surely speaks greatly about the quality of their products.  But if they went toe to toe with them, they might lose some of the business that the get from the big three.  Beyond that,( while prestige matters less than quality) the big three tend to carry more prestige than JLC or most other brands (except for Lange).  You can try to compete with quality, but prestige is something intangible that is difficult to build.

 

In addition, I don't think they are really offering something intended to compete with PP, AP, or VC.  Its a modern interpretation of a vintage piece, but its purely a sports watch.  The Nautilus, RO, or Overseas...each straddle a line where they could easily be worn with a suit or casual clothing.  Yes, one can wear a sports watch with a suit, people were Submariners with suits.  However, the JLC doesn't seem to be part of the genre where one would see the Nautilus, RO, Overseas, GP Laureato, IWC Ingenuier, or Chopard St. Moritz etc.  The JLC Deep Sea Chronograph to me seems more of a direct competitor with the Breguet Type XX or BP 50 Fathoms, which are also great watches but not part of the big three.

post #25253 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

You can try to compete with quality, but prestige is something intangible that is difficult to build.

one hundred pacent correct.

i LOVE jlc, and imo they make high complication models that are on par with what we see from the big 3. however, they are not in competition with the big 3, nor do they seem to have intention of doing so. they are in a great position and i see no reason for that to change.
post #25254 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post


one hundred pacent correct.

i LOVE jlc, and imo they make high complication models that are on par with what we see from the big 3. however, they are not in competition with the big 3, nor do they seem to have intention of doing so. they are in a great position and i see no reason for that to change.

 

What are your thoughts on the basic complication JLCs

 

Im glad ppl are having this discussion, very informative, especially when a noob is about to purchase a jlc navy divers watch

 

I love the aesthetics and think its a great looking divers watch.

post #25255 of 48312
I suppose for Richemont it is a similar branding problem as it is for VW.

Cartier, Van Cleef & Arpels, Piaget, Vacheron Constantin, Jaeger-LeCoultre, IWC, Panerai and Montblanc.
Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Seat, Skoda and VW

They all need to find a place in the market which is different from other makers in the same stable
post #25256 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khal80 View Post

What are your thoughts on the basic complication JLCs
Im glad ppl are having this discussion, very informative, especially when a noob is about to purchase a jlc navy divers watch
I love the aesthetics and think its a great looking divers watch.

i think its very hard to argue with any movement made by jlc. they might be the best movement manufacturer, all things considered. im sure ill get heat for that, but i think its a very solid and fair assessment.
post #25257 of 48312
Yup, JLC has a nice niche here and OWNS it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

one hundred pacent correct.

i LOVE jlc, and imo they make high complication models that are on par with what we see from the big 3. however, they are not in competition with the big 3, nor do they seem to have intention of doing so. they are in a great position and i see no reason for that to change.

Of course I will weigh in here - true there's little love the Navy divers on this forum, but mine has been a fantastic watch. Robust and fun to wear, oozes quality from the winding, to the accuracy and down the beautiful articulated bracelet. There's a SEALs logo, but it's on the caseback so you'll rarely notice it. It doesn't bother me at all.

photo DSC_0058.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khal80 View Post

What are your thoughts on the basic complication JLCs

Im glad ppl are having this discussion, very informative, especially when a noob is about to purchase a jlc navy divers watch

I love the aesthetics and think its a great looking divers watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

i think its very hard to argue with any movement made by jlc. they might be the best movement manufacturer, all things considered. im sure ill get heat for that, but i think its a very solid and fair assessment.
post #25258 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnguy001 View Post

Yup, JLC has a nice niche here and OWNS it.
Of course I will weigh in here - true there's little love the Navy divers on this forum, but mine has been a fantastic watch. Robust and fun to wear, oozes quality from the winding, to the accuracy and down the beautiful articulated bracelet. There's a SEALs logo, but it's on the caseback so you'll rarely notice it. It doesn't bother me at all.

photo DSC_0058.jpg
 

Why is there no love for this watch?

 

its a limited edition watch, 1500 pieces, but is readily available......initially that was a cause for concern

post #25259 of 48312
There is little love because it was rightly or wrongly perceived by WISes to be an attempt by JLC to crack the macho man watch market.

It was perceived as schizophrenic, not in line with the usual company image - the real/imagined stereotypical JLC buyer is not usually what you'd call a big sports macho man watch person.

So it got little love from the usual JLC crowd and the big macho watch crowd stuck with their usual macho man watch brands.

The analogy that leaps to mind is a fine French restaurant branching into fast food (albeit finely made fast food) - it dismays the original aficionados and attracts few converts from the Wendys crowd.
post #25260 of 48312

Forgive me, friends, I am about to serve a baked potato at the Ritz: this might be an appropriate topic for the "PMW" thread, but frankly it's bad enough being a poor man of late without defining myself as such by only talking to other cheapskates.  So suck it up.  In this thread, I believe, we are all just "men"!

 

The subject at hand?  Seiko, and specifically, the "Monsters".

 

You see, it's like this: I ordered a watch a while ago, that will finally get to me in a couple of months, God willing.  It's a PMW by definition, and my initial justification was that I have a dress watch that does a job, but nothing more sporty.  I would like to wear a watch on the beach, especially when exercising there.  My non water-resistant and elderly Omega is not the creature.  So I convinced myself to buy a suitable PMW, pending sufficient funds for something better down the line.

 

The thing is, I'm kidding myself.  The PMW in question is, although of laughable modesty by this thread's standards, far from disposable.  And for all its impressive durability, I have a funny feeling that I will be wearing it more widely as a casual piece for its own sake, and actually rather reluctant to risk bashing it about in the sand.  So because of that, and perhaps also because I'm bored of waiting already (but not that because my beloved would be angry at my getting another watch out of childish impatience alone so it can't be true), I thought I'd get another PMW.  Or, to put it more accurately, an Even-P-er-MW.  

 

Enter the Monster.  On which subject, two questions concern me: black or orange, and old or new?

 

On the former point, I'm leaning towards orange, mainly because it's so distinctively not a Submariner homage.  It's a big stupid orange thing.  But then, it's a big stupid orange thing and maybe black is less stupid.  You get what I mean.  Still, on the beach, big stupid orange maybe works?

 

On the latter point, more difficulty: as I understand it, the newer and older are pretty much the same in size, look and function, bar two things: the movement in the newer one hacks, and also allows manual winding.  As I'm not carrying out any daring special operations requiring watch synchronisation (or maybe I'll use the proper PMW for that), I don't care about the hacking thing.  The manual winding might be rather useful, though, for something I won't wear most of the day.  But how much more is it worth?  This is supposed to be a cheap little trinket, so what's the best deal on a new one, and is it worth it over a NOS older one, that's under $200?

 

And a wild card: anyone admit to liking any other very cheap, properly-waterproof (i.e. screw down crown) beach beater?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)