Now that is a watch story!
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 1:19 pm in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Today at 6:45 am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 1681post #25202 of 483129/27/13 at 7:06ampost #25203 of 483129/27/13 at 8:40amAwesome Heuer NS.
There's a nice German issued one for sale atm: http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=6600638&rid=0#msg_6600638
Original listing w/ pics: http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=6597082&rid=0post #25204 of 483129/27/13 at 8:44ampost #25205 of 483129/27/13 at 8:44amNot sure if this was posted or not...
HODINKEE Presents “Talking Watches” with John Mayer
http://vimeo.com/75349508 (I don't know how to embed, sorry!)
Cool to see him shortlist the BLNR as one of two watches he tours with. Not sure if I would considering it the best contemporary watch Rolex makes, however (his words, not mine).post #25206 of 483129/27/13 at 8:52ampost #25207 of 483129/27/13 at 9:05am
While I understand your pop culture reference, I do not understand its context. Rolex is known for having sturdy but not beautiful or particularly well finished movements and that is why they generally do not have display backs. Whereas other brands that I prefer such as JLC and Zenith are in the same price range but tend to put more effort into the quality and finishing of their movements.
Here is the back of the relatively inexpensive Zenith that I am wearing today as an example. Have you seen the inside of a Rolex? It resembles a German instead of a Swiss piece of machinery. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I actually stay away from the brand because of those reasons and because everyone has one. To me it is the male version of carrying a LV purse--why would I want the exact same one that everyone else has?
However, to each their own. I am in no way a Rolex basher, I just think there are far better and more interesting watches out there for those who wish to wear something different.
And here is the back of my well-worn Zenith (new straps are on order).post #25208 of 483129/27/13 at 9:21ampost #25209 of 483129/27/13 at 9:44amQuote:
Nice! I'm a big JLC fan. May I recommend Govberg jewelers? They have given me great prices on a couple of pieces around or even below grey market prices. So, below grey market prices from a real dealer with factory warranty. I have them ship directly to me and save the tax. No affiliation with them, just happy to pass on a great deal when I find one.
(404) 412-0700. Ask for Mark.post #25210 of 483129/27/13 at 10:19ampost #25211 of 483129/27/13 at 11:24ampost #25212 of 483129/27/13 at 11:51ampost #25213 of 483129/27/13 at 12:11pmpost #25214 of 483129/27/13 at 12:19pmpost #25215 of 483129/27/13 at 12:33pmQuote:
I agree; as much as I love seeing Frilly's Pateks and other exotica, it's nice to see more accessible pieces in the real world now and then. I have to say, I don't find Longines the most aspirational brand, even in its price range. I don't know why, it's just not really caught my imagination. But that is a very classy and attractive looking chrono, and I like it very much indeed. Thanks JK for sharing (and people, you should see the rest of what this guy wears....)
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread 55 seconds ago
- › Nwot Drake's London Ancient Madder 1 minute ago
- › Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) 2 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 3 minutes ago
- › The SW&D Music Appreciation Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Could someone help me figure out what brand it is? 5 minutes ago
- › + DRIES VAN NOTEN + 7 minutes ago
- › Taylor Stitch - Official Affiliate Thread 9 minutes ago
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 10 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 13 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Fashion Forward brands that will be big in
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway