mate, fluted bezel and jubilee for me any day
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 10:33 am in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Today at 1:18 pm in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 1642post #24616 of 483129/5/13 at 6:47pmpost #24617 of 483129/6/13 at 7:01ampost #24618 of 483129/6/13 at 7:06am
The height of audacity! An aunt of mine glanced at my wrist and asked why I was wearing a TORY BURCH WATCH when she saw the deployant clasp on my 3970!
I was AGHAST!
Just kidding. I found the episode quite amusing. Here are some pics from the internet for comparison.
I mean, she's not COMPLETELY out of her mind, I think...post #24619 of 483129/6/13 at 7:08ampost #24620 of 483129/6/13 at 8:18ampost #24621 of 483129/6/13 at 8:32ampost #24622 of 483129/6/13 at 12:16pmQuote:Originally Posted by Dino944
On a modern Datejust, I'd go with a fluted bezel but an Oyster bracelet. I don't care for the current smooth bezel which is dome shaped on new DJs. If it was vintage, then maybe I'd go for a smooth bezel, which were flatter and angled. I've always favored the Oyster to the Jubilee, partly because on the old hollow center link bracelets they exhibited less stretch and I preferred how they looked.
I like the Barked bezels they used to have,post #24623 of 483129/6/13 at 1:57pmGood evening,
I am in need of some guidance again if you could be so kind.
I have been trying a lot of watches lately to find something to wear everyday with suits.
The last 2 that have really cought my attention are the panerai 512 and the zenith captain central seconds with white face and pink gold markers.
Are they things that could help me chose one over the other? I really liked both and they fit my wrist very well.
One the zenith I get my longiness serviced for free, plus it is about 2k cheaper. But both are in my buget.
I have tried different rolexes, IWC, JLC, glasshute original, but I did not like those as much.
Thank you for the help!post #24624 of 483129/6/13 at 2:20pm
Buy the one you love.
But if it were me, I'd say the Zenith is more obviously suitable for a suit (no pun intended). However, depending on what youre Longines or any other watches are like, is it different enough? Don't you already have an "every day with a suit" watch?
In which case, allow me to play Devil's advocate here: the Panerai isn't really a suit watch - Radiomir is easier to wear, sure, but it's still casual, chunky and just a teensy bit frivolous. Which brings me to my point: maybe wear the Longines with your suit. And the Panerai when you get home and take your jacket off. I've just a sneaking suspicion you love it more.post #24625 of 483129/6/13 at 2:35pm
If you're prepared to spend Panerai money, consider the chronograph version of the Zenith Captain. Still looks great with a suit, but transitions a bit better to casual wear than the three-hander. I've never been much of a Panerai fan, but that aside, I agree with Mimo that it isn't really a suit watch. If that is your primary intended wear, there are a vast number of better choices, IMO.post #24626 of 483129/6/13 at 2:47pmThank you for your answers. I like both watches just as much and my primary and maybe only use is with a suit.
My longines is the conquest, so a diver watch, too thick and quite unfomfortable with a shirt cuff.
I have tried the reverso grande taille (but manual and no date with short power reserve and scratches easily), the master hometime (too thick and a bit too old looking), rolex explorer and date just, glasshute original senator 60's, cartier tank, iwc portofino and ingenieur automatic, zenith el primero and captain in various models.
Have I missed something I should consider?
Thanks againpost #24627 of 483129/6/13 at 3:00pmLove that pic, Roger! Pure class.
Bams, I believe the 512 is the smaller Rad, which does make it more "suit-able".... but for many, that also means it's somehow a lesser Panerai, despite the in-house movement. There's a lot of sentiment that a smaller Panny is...well....somehow ill-advised.
Having said that, I will echo the always sound advice which mimo offered, in regards to buying the one that you love.
Anything else rock your boat? And would you mind indicating how big your wrist is?
Personally, I wouldn't rule out a larger Panerai if you have an average build overall, unless there's something about the 512 that makes it "the one" for you....again, assuming you are okay with the brand as a "dress watch".post #24628 of 483129/6/13 at 3:00pmpost #24629 of 483129/6/13 at 3:15pmI don't have my exact measurements but my wrists (and me as a whole) are pretty small. 42 is the largest I can wear I think.
When it comes to style, i agree those very different. I am simply looking at something that works with suits and at the same time is not too classic looking so that it looks "old".
What I liked besides of those 2 was mostly tje reverso GT but it has more disadvantages in my eyes like short power reserve, soft metal prone to scratches and no date.
I guess I will go more towards the zenith since it is more suitable with a suit.
Anything else I have not mentioned earlier that I should try?post #24630 of 483129/6/13 at 3:31pmQuote:
Nice, I have the same one, or the newer version of the same one
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread 27 seconds ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 39 seconds ago
- › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? 55 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 2 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 4 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 7 minutes ago
- › Carmina Uetam Brown Suede String Loafer 80228 - BNIB (8.5UK) 9 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 16 minutes ago
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 16 minutes ago
- › MC General Chat 16 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...