or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 1603  

post #24031 of 48312

http://www.timelessluxwatches.com/ is an authorized dealer for NOMOS

 

6975 Lebanon Road
Frisco, TX 75034

(214) 494-4241

 

road trip! three hours away doable?
 

post #24032 of 48312

Yea..I loooked up the authorized dealers..I may have to.  Theres on in Austin too

 

I called Tourneau, and they carry it online.  I would have to give a refundable deposit and they would send it in store for me to see/try on.

They dont carry the GMT version, but are checking up on it.

 

thanks again for all the help

post #24033 of 48312

NP.

 

Go take pix and share them with us icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

post #24034 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

The new RO Chronograph is a beautiful watch.  Its one of the few pieces I've seen that made a successful transition from being enlarged and using the same movement of the prior 39mm model.  While it is larger than the prior model, everything is proportionally appropriate and looks correct.  It doesn't suffer from looking distorted and bloated, which I find to be a big problem on Rolex's DJ II and DD II.  I don't mind the date position at all between the 4 and 5.  I greatly prefer it to chopping out part of the 6 marker/continuous seconds subdial, which is frequently done on Cartiers, BPs, and Breguets etc. using the same base movement.   I also like that the date wheel is matched to the dial color so it is less distracting.  

 

This watch was a strong contender for me, but I ultimately chose the ultra thin RO Jumbo.  I already have a watch with an F.Piguet 1185 movement, and the Jumbo is iconic as is its ultra thin movement cal 2121.  If I were lucky enough to add another RO to my collection someday, the RO chronograph would probably be my top choice for another AP.  

 

As for the size of the crown in person it looks appropriate.  I think it would be quite difficult to grip and use (because of its shape and smooth sides), if it did not stick out beyond its protective shoulders.  The only think that I find a tad difficult to do with this watch is to unscrew the screw down pushers.  They are hexagonal in shape to match the crown and hex bolts of the bezel, but they are a bit tough to grip.  They don't have the little teeth going around them that you would find on say a Rolex Daytona.  However, that was the only fault I find with this watch, and its something I'd be willing to suffer through.

 

The finish on them is simply exceptional.  The way the light brings out the various finishes and textures under different lighting situations is amazing. You can see that its a very labor intensive case and bracelet to make.  While I wish they were more affordable (I'd get a few), its a watch where you can quickly see why they are so expensive, but that they are worth what they cost.

 

Dino, I'm not well versed on mechanics but is a 12 o' clock date position an option with this movement? To me, losing the AP logo and putting the window up there instead would have been the best way to preserve the otherwise admirable symmetry. But, like you say, quibbles. It's a great watch and may well be my next one!

post #24035 of 48312
Pilot's watch posing as "dress watch" today:

post #24036 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith T View Post

Pilot's watch posing as "dress watch" today:

Nice to see it getting some wrist time, as a quasi-dress watch.  Looks great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Male View Post

 

Dino, I'm not well versed on mechanics but is a 12 o' clock date position an option with this movement? To me, losing the AP logo and putting the window up there instead would have been the best way to preserve the otherwise admirable symmetry. But, like you say, quibbles. It's a great watch and may well be my next one!

Hi Omega,

 

No, they only make it with the date between 4 and 5.  So if someone gives it to you as a gift and you find the date window position terribly offensive, feel free to tell him/her to give it to me instead! wink.gif

post #24037 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon View Post

I saw a Stowa Marine with a white dial and arabic numerals in the wild yesterday. Looked awesome from afar and up close. Great wrist presence and the brushed metal really caught my eye. Chatted the guy up and he said he had a flieger at home too. Guess he's a happy customer

 

I was really surprised at how awesome it looked, and how it caught my eye so well.

 

I mention this because it happened just yesterday, but also for Khal80--don't think you're getting less watch for the money if you go with a smaller brand. In fact the opposite is probably true! if its caught your fancy just bite the bullet if you're brave. Where are you located?

 

Agree, and here's a wristie of my Stowa Marine Original to back it up:

 

post #24038 of 48312
Omega Male - that watch is great. i really hope to own an AP RO some day.

frilly - icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post

Thought I would share one of mine here. Always gets a few stares and compliments. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


i have oogled that watch a great many times. fantastic. i know dno hates annuals, but i think he is off mark on this one. peepwall[1].gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

The platinum version is nice, but I agree and think I prefer the gold.  I like the warmth the gold adds to this fine time piece. I find the platinum version a bit too sterile, but if someone gifted it to me...I wouldn't kick it to the curb!

the gold and brown contrast between case and strap is magnificent.

--

coxaca - a thought id like to share. im not sure what your intent is with your photo bomb posts, but i will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are trying to spark conversation, not just post random watch pics for no real reason. if that is the case, id like to recommend the following.

1. post one watch at a time, and maybe add a few extra detail pics in a spoiler.

2. add some text to the post regarding why you are posting the watch. what intrigues you about it, what questions you may have about it, an interesting history.... anything at all that adds interest to you.

if you do that, i think you will have a much better chance at creating conversation.
post #24039 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

coxaca - a thought id like to share. im not sure what your intent is with your photo bomb posts, but i will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are trying to spark conversation, not just post random watch pics for no real reason. if that is the case, id like to recommend the following.

1. post one watch at a time, and maybe add a few extra detail pics in a spoiler.

2. add some text to the post regarding why you are posting the watch. what intrigues you about it, what questions you may have about it, an interesting history.... anything at all that adds interest to you.

if you do that, i think you will have a much better chance at creating conversation.

 

+1.  I support this recommendation.

post #24040 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post

The Cosmopolite is beautiful as a piece of art, but my goodness is it large! I just think that 48mm is unwearable for me. I think it would have been nice if they had foregone the tourby.

I just figure my wrist will grow by the time I can afford it.
post #24041 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

The platinum version is nice, but I agree and think I prefer the gold.  I like the warmth the gold adds to this fine time piece. I find the platinum version a bit too sterile, but if someone gifted it to me...I wouldn't kick it to the curb!
Very nice!
Spot on again Nuke!
  Their skeleton is just amazing!

fistbump.gificon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

Definitely try navy croc with royal blue stitching.  I think that would look fantastic with it.  My dad has a JLC 8 Day Master in platinum on a blue croc strap and it looks really handsome (although his stitching is also navy).  I think with a navy blue croc strap with royal blue contrasting stitching would be amazing!

I am glad to get your support on it! I think that is might be a good look! I think something a little more casual would do wonders for the watch. I will have to think a little more about it before really committing to it. This time I may try ABP instead of CF!

Thankfully, the black strap on my MUT is finally breaking in. This thing is about as solid as it gets! Still squeaks a bit though.
post #24042 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khal80 View Post

I cam to this thread looking for a watch that fit my budget, 5k.

 

After spending months lurking and seeing all the watches, I found myself liking watched 4x and 5x the budgeted amount.  not good.

 

Took some time away from this thread so i could get back to reality.  The closes I got to my budget was an IWC Portuguese.  Love it.

 

But finally, I think I found the perfect watch...Nomos Tangomat GMT Plus.

 

I think its a great watch with great versatility.

 

It may have even been recommended to me on this board but over time the watch has really grown on me.

 

Now the problem is, where can i try this on!!!

 

good decision?

 

If you buy it directly from Nomos, you can try the watch on in a matter of days and their return policy is quite generous.

post #24043 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

No, they only make it with the date between 4 and 5.  So if someone gives it to you as a gift and you find the date window position terribly offensive, feel free to tell him/her to give it to me instead! wink.gif

 

You know, I could probably just about learn to live with it.

 

 

musicboohoo[1].gif

post #24044 of 48312
Regarding the Royal Oak Chrono: The one really ROCs my world is the old rose gold model on a strap (26022OR). It's just heavenly. Flashy, a bit over the top, but still way within good taste (unlike most ROO). I've tried on several ROCs, but like the 15300 I used to own, the bracelet, although cool as hell, is just too rigid. On a strap however!

I could seriously trade a bunch of watches for this one icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

It has to be the older dial with the square indeces though! The newer ones are missing something, not sure what ...

ap_26022OR_00_D088CR_01.jpg
post #24045 of 48312
Yes, love this..
Quote:
Originally Posted by NonServiam View Post

Regarding the Royal Oak Chrono: The one really ROCs my world is the old rose gold model on a strap (26022OR). It's just heavenly. Flashy, a bit over the top, but still way within good taste (unlike most ROO). I've tried on several ROCs, but like the 15300 I used to own, the bracelet, although cool as hell, is just too rigid. On a strap however!

I could seriously trade a bunch of watches for this one icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

It has to be the older dial with the square indeces though! The newer ones are missing something, not sure what ...

ap_26022OR_00_D088CR_01.jpg
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)