or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 1588  

post #23806 of 48312
beautiful movement, Dopey


Terrible pic of what's on today.

photo 70CD61B0-A09E-4027-B0FF-ABF58120F584-2011-000000AC455924CA.jpg
post #23807 of 48312
Classic IWC with the 7-day Pellaton..... favorite watch of the legendary foo.gif as I recall....
post #23808 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnguy001 View Post

beautiful movement, Dopey


Terrible pic of what's on today. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
photo 70CD61B0-A09E-4027-B0FF-ABF58120F584-2011-000000AC455924CA.jpg

gorgeous watch

I miss mines dearly. facepalm.gif







post #23809 of 48312
Lovely portuguese! Looks very, very nice on your wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith T View Post

Classic IWC with the 7-day Pellaton..... favorite watch of the legendary foo.gif as I recall....

Rumor has it that it is the best finished watch evar.

Warren, why did you choose to send it to a new home?
post #23810 of 48312
Love the movement pic, dopey, and nice Port. rnguy!
post #23811 of 48312
i do liek that IWC port. i like it alut.
post #23812 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

i do liek that IWC port. i like it alut.
post #23813 of 48312
nod[1].gif

was hoping someone would get that. i love that movie.
post #23814 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post

Thanks. I wish I could do a better job photographing it. It is really pretty clean. I am tempted to get a modern version as well to wear all the time, though this one is pretty durable. The column wheel chrono movement is beautiful as well - stock photo:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Beeeautiful movement!  I'm sure you are thrilled to have your Speedy home again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnguy001 View Post

Terrible pic of what's on today.

photo 70CD61B0-A09E-4027-B0FF-ABF58120F584-2011-000000AC455924CA.jpg

Very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith T View Post

Classic IWC with the 7-day Pellaton..... favorite watch of the legendary foo.gif as I recall....

Sorry Keith, but did you actually mean to say, "Legendary?"  I was thinking kahhhhhrazy !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

the only difference though in employing dinos remarks about waiting for things to cool down, to vintage, is that you may run the risk of not getting your hands on the model you want, if no one is willing to sell when you want it. especially if selling means the owner will be taking a hit.

i think most of the time when these models go for huge jumps it because someone with a healthy bank account has it hot and heavy for that model and wants it now, and does not want it to get away. and if a bidding war ensues and egos get involved, well then, all bets are off.

as opposed to production models, once the initial excitement dies down, and supply and demand line back up, its not usually a big deal to get what you want for a more reasonable price if you just wait a little.

ymmv, but thats how it seems to me.

+1 spot on.  fistbump.gif

 

Price spikes on newly released Rolex watches are different than when prices jump drastically on vintage pieces.  New watches, such as when the 114270 36mm Ex1, steel and platinum Yachtmaster, Milgauss GV...etc had price spikes and were selling at over MSRP, because of the short supply and some people that had to be the first on the block to own one.  Its just basic supply v. demand.  Once the supply caught up, prices dropped and those watches were then selling new from ADs with discounts (although, yes I know its now supposedly Rolex policy not to discount steel models). 

 

However, with vintage watches... you truly have a limited supply that will remain limited.  Decades ago, people wore their watches.  People didn't buy them to put in a vault (I've seen recent production Pateks advertised still in the cardboard shipping box and plastic wrap).  People wore their watches, some got damaged or lost, and you have varying degrees of condition.  There may be a handful of NOS, mint, rarely or never worn vintage Rolex, Patek, AP, VC etc with box and papers from decades ago...but most will show some patina, wear and tear, or in some cases damage and most will not have box and papers.  Collectors of means always want the best condition and most complete model (B&P and hang tags) available.  Sure there were thousands of 1655 Ex2s made, or Red Subs, but today all in varying degrees of condition....generally with the best and most complete fetching the most money.  Ralph Lauren collects vintage automobiles and people thought he was crazy paying top dollar for some of the cars he has.  But now people say he was a genius paying tomorrows money to assure himself of getting the best available, and today what he paid is a pittance of what those cars are worth.  

 

So the truly limited number of vintage watches means we aren't simply going to see a price correction when more arrive.  I think we would have to see a collapse of the watch collecting market for prices to fall on highly sought after vintage watches.  I thought a plain Panda dial manual wind Daytona was overpriced when in the mid 90s they were going for 6,000-8,000.  These were watches that were $500-900 when new depending on when purchased.  Now look at the prices...these are $24,000-30,000 all day long.

 

So back to Nuke,  I think we have to be careful, even when using my statements wink.gif, so that they are used for the specific scenarios rather than as generalizations.  As the statement I made was relative to modern production pieces, which are a very different market...but thanks for quoting me anyway bro.    


Edited by Dino944 - 8/7/13 at 12:32pm
post #23815 of 48312
super well said, as always, dino. and of course, i just love it when we agree.
post #23816 of 48312

 

Quote:Originally Posted by in stitches View Post                                                                                                      super well said, as always, dino. and of course, i just love it when we agree.
 

Thanks bro!  Me too  fistbump.gif

post #23817 of 48312
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

 

Price spikes on newly released Rolex watches are different than when prices jump drastically on vintage pieces.  New watches, such as when the 114270 36mm Ex1, steel and platinum Yachtmaster, Milgauss GV...etc had price spikes and were selling at over MSRP, because of the short supply and some people that had to be the first on the block to own one.  Its just basic supply v. demand.  Once the supply caught up, prices dropped and those watches were then selling new from ADs with discounts (although, yes I know its now supposedly Rolex policy not to discount steel models). 

 

However, with vintage watches... you truly have a limited supply that will remain limited.  Decades ago, people wore their watches.  People didn't buy them to put in a vault (I've seen recent production Pateks advertised still in the cardboard shipping box and plastic wrap).  People wore their watches, some got damaged or lost, and you have varying degrees of condition.  There may be a handful of NOS, mint, rarely or never worn vintage Rolex, Patek, AP, VC etc with box and papers from decades ago...but most will show some patina, wear and tear, or in some cases damage and most will not have box and papers.  Collectors of means always want the best condition and most complete model (B&P and hang tags) available.  Sure there were thousand of 1655 Ex2s made, or Red Subs, but all in varying degrees of condition....generally with the best and most complete fetching the most money.  Ralph Lauren collects vintage automobiles and people thought he was crazy paying top dollar for some of the cars he has.  But now people say he was a genius paying tomorrows money to assure himself of getting the best available, and today what he paid is a pittance of what those cars are worth.  

 

So the truly limited number of vintage watches means we aren't simply going to see a price correction when more arrive.  I think we would have to see a collapse of the watch collecting market for prices to fall on highly sought after vintage watches.  I thought a plain Panda dial manual wind Daytona was overpriced when in the mid 90s they were going for 6,000-8,000.  These were watches that were $500-900 when new depending on when purchased.  Now look at the prices...these are $24,000-30,000 all day long.

 

So back to Nuke,  I think we have to be careful, even when using my statements wink.gif, so that they are used for the specific scenarios rather than as generalizations.  As the statement I made was relative to modern production pieces, which are a very different market...but thanks for quoting me anyway bro.    

 

Yes.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

super well said, as always, dino. and of course, i just love it when we agree.

 

Yes.

 

A picture share from a friend of mine who is a photographer.  Panerai is his - model's name is Lisa.  The watch seems too big for her.

 

Warning: Probably NSFW, but artsy IMHO (Click to show)

 

 

 

*

 

post #23818 of 48312
what watch?
post #23819 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post

 

A picture share from a friend of mine who is a photographer.  Panerai is his - model's name is Lisa.  The watch seems too big for her.

 

Warning: Probably NSFW, but artsy IMHO (Click to show)

 

 

 

*

 

Might be better for your friend if the model was his, and the Panerai was hers wink.gif

post #23820 of 48312
T
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnguy001 View Post

Nice. Congrats. Diggin the hands on that one

Thanks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)