or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 1584  

post #23746 of 48312

About a Cheap Watch

 

Funny, I thought when I finally posted in here about buying a new watch, it would be for me, and something with a little more "TWAT-cred".  But first, this.

 

My son  is fourteen years old.  He's a good boy and I'm proud of him.  He's not especially interested in watches (then again, neither was I until a year ago..damn you, TWAT!)

 

However, he was intrigued by the idea of my father's old Omega, that I repaired last year, and have worn since (and, fatally, shared here...damn you, TWAT!).  A few months ago, I gave him an old quartz watch that I'd had years ago, when I wasn't much older than him.  He liked the idea of being handed down something, however simple.  But that watch has seen it's last days as a functioning timepiece, and although it might follow him around for the rest of his days as a rusting curio (if he's anything like me), it turns out that it's no longer fit for wearing.

 

Now, I've been thinking for a while that I should replace that with something he can actually wear.  I have been away for a long time without seeing him or his sisters, and will get back to them in the next couple of days for some long-anticipated time together - perfect time for a surprise gift.  I did consider giving him my existing beater/back-up quartz, or even my bizarre dictator-kitsch Saddam Hussein Rodania.  But the former isn't very special, and the latter not very wearable.  So, I thought I'd buy one.

 

To be honest, it's been a shitty year for business, I've not had the cash for many treats (mine or theirs!), and the green shoots of recovery are only just appearing.  Also, he got a tiny birthday present compared to his sisters', without  a hint of complaint.  So, with modest income restored and positive signs appearing for the future, it was time for a little gift that's been overdue to him, and today I went shopping.

 

The brief was pretty simple: I wanted a mechanical watch - his first "proper" watch, that was cheap enough for a young boy to wear regularly (i.e. potentially scratch and break!), but not Chinese.  Enter the ubiquitous ETA.  I wanted a bracelet for practicality, a  simple, manly design that would still be wearable years from now (no novelty bright-coloured Sub imitiations etc), and a price that reflected the generic nature of the movement rather than some inflated sense of brand value.  One obvious answer would have been Swatch's automatic range, which are very cheap.  But I also wanted it to come in a proper box that looked like it was worth keeping, encouraging him to value the maintenance of the whole package for posterity - and perhaps add to it later on.  The Swatch wasn't "proper" enough, somehow - though I did pick up a couple of quartz ones for the girls so they don't feel left out!

 

Where I ended up was this: about $400 from the AD. (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 I have to say it felt pleasingly solid in the hand for that price, and the design, modest-but-real brand and overall presentation seemed just the thing to whet his interest and let him feel this was something worth taking care of - without breaking the bank.  

 

Any sage advice / callous cries of "fool"?  Give it to me straight!  I can't help but wonder  after reading the last couple of pages, if I should have got him a G-Shock and I'm instead imposing my conservative tastes!  But then again he did like his suede brogues...and this, I hope, he won't outgrow.

post #23747 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

About a Cheap Watch

 

Funny, I thought when I finally posted in here about buying a new watch, it would be for me, and something with a little more "TWAT-cred".  But first, this.

 

My son  is fourteen years old.  He's a good boy and I'm proud of him.  He's not especially interested in watches (then again, neither was I until a year ago..damn you, TWAT!)

 

However, he was intrigued by the idea of my father's old Omega, that I repaired last year, and have worn since (and, fatally, shared here...damn you, TWAT!).  A few months ago, I gave him an old quartz watch that I'd had years ago, when I wasn't much older than him.  He liked the idea of being handed down something, however simple.  But that watch has seen it's last days as a functioning timepiece, and although it might follow him around for the rest of his days as a rusting curio (if he's anything like me), it turns out that it's no longer fit for wearing.

 

Now, I've been thinking for a while that I should replace that with something he can actually wear.  I have been away for a long time without seeing him or his sisters, and will get back to them in the next couple of days for some long-anticipated time together - perfect time for a surprise gift.  I did consider giving him my existing beater/back-up quartz, or even my bizarre dictator-kitsch Saddam Hussein Rodania.  But the former isn't very special, and the latter not very wearable.  So, I thought I'd buy one.

 

To be honest, it's been a shitty year for business, I've not had the cash for many treats (mine or theirs!), and the green shoots of recovery are only just appearing.  Also, he got a tiny birthday present compared to his sisters', without  a hint of complaint.  So, with modest income restored and positive signs appearing for the future, it was time for a little gift that's been overdue to him, and today I went shopping.

 

The brief was pretty simple: I wanted a mechanical watch - his first "proper" watch, that was cheap enough for a young boy to wear regularly (i.e. potentially scratch and break!), but not Chinese.  Enter the ubiquitous ETA.  I wanted a bracelet for practicality, a  simple, manly design that would still be wearable years from now (no novelty bright-coloured Sub imitiations etc), and a price that reflected the generic nature of the movement rather than some inflated sense of brand value.  One obvious answer would have been Swatch's automatic range, which are very cheap.  But I also wanted it to come in a proper box that looked like it was worth keeping, encouraging him to value the maintenance of the whole package for posterity - and perhaps add to it later on.  The Swatch wasn't "proper" enough, somehow - though I did pick up a couple of quartz ones for the girls so they don't feel left out!

 

Where I ended up was this: about $400 from the AD. (Click to show)

 

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 I have to say it felt pleasingly solid in the hand for that price, and the design, modest-but-real brand and overall presentation seemed just the thing to whet his interest and let him feel this was something worth taking care of - without breaking the bank.  

 

Any sage advice / callous cries of "fool"?  Give it to me straight!  I can't help but wonder  after reading the last couple of pages, if I should have got him a G-Shock and I'm instead imposing my conservative tastes!  But then again he did like his suede brogues...and this, I hope, he won't outgrow.

 

What an awesome, lovely story, mimo!  No callous cries of fool here - let us know how your son likes the piece!  

 

I think it's an appropriate "starting" piece - certainly worth caring for, without breaking the bank.  Now perhaps a G-Shock is in order for next year! 

post #23748 of 48312
Really a great choice Mimo. My good friend's girlfriend was looking for a watch for him for his graduation, and her and I went on the hunt. We actually picked out the same Tissot! I think it is a great mixture of being relatively inexpensive, versatile (it is sporty and dressy), youthful yet mature, and from an established brand with a solid pedigree. I think Tissot is about as good as it gets in that price range, I am sure that he will be very happy. He can easily swap the bracelet for a leather strap if he so desires as well!

Great choice, and lovely story. Hopefully we will see him on here in a couple years!
post #23749 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post
 
We actually picked out the same Tissot!

Great choice, and lovely story. Hopefully we will see him on here in a couple years!

 

fistbump.gif

 

Visited G-Shock in Soho this afternoon.  Fits pretty well on my eeny weeny wrist.  Didn't get one.  But then again they didn't have a Frogman in stock.  Hmm....

post #23750 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post

fistbump.gif

Visited G-Shock in Soho this afternoon.  Fits pretty well on my eeny weeny wrist.  Didn't get one.  But then again they didn't have a Frogman in stock.  Hmm....

You know, the Frogman... intrigues me. However, I have heard it is absolutely GINORMOUS. Like Invicta Russian Diver big. Not sure if I am man enough to handle that.
post #23751 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

Congrats!  Sounds like a great choice.  I look forward to seeing some wrist shots soon.  

+1. fantastic choice!

---


mimo - awesome story. very heartwarming. its a great looking watch, and more importantly, im sure it will be a meaningful item of his that will always make him think of his dad, fondly. well done, sir. well done indeed.
post #23752 of 48312

 Regarding all this love for G-Shock, I remember the signature of a WIS member that made me sell most of the watches I liked, but didn't love.

 

 "Never put on your wrist something that isn't useful or beautiful to you"- quoting with large approximation.

 

 I have a specific watch for running that shows me the speed, beeps me if I slow the pace and does other things that mechanichal watches can't. But that's a tool to me, not a "watch". It's useful.

 

 Other than that, I try to see that every moment of my life is unique and fleeting, and I try to spend it in the best company possible.  

 

 So if you really like the G-Shock or it's necessary for a purpose- by all means. If not, just wear your beautiful watches without fear of scratches, most likely they will outlast you anyway. 

 

 Just a humble opinion.

post #23753 of 48312
Spot on, Speedy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post



First day of work Monday!

And in regards to the G-Shocks... I have kind of wanted one lately as well. I just need to find one that I like now. Kind of want something completely "out there." Like one of the black analog ones.


This "King of the G-shocks" is suitably preposterous on my 7" wrist. I got it because it's not as common , and I liked the large rectangular shape. The purple and black version (Decepticon?) is cooler still.

That being said the G-Shock shown by Nuke is far more useful and comfortable IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no frills View Post

The GX-56! How large is this watch in terms of how it wears on your wrist?
post #23754 of 48312
All this G-Shock talk reminds me of my first watch, a black Casio digital (late 70's IIRC). Sadly I can't find it on Google. It had a black plastic (rubber?) strap, black pushers and the display didn't light up (one of the pushers activated a small light that shone across the display).

Anyone have better pics of PG's G-Shock?
post #23755 of 48312

Mimo - that is a rock solid choice, my man.  I have owned a couple Tissot autos in the past and they have served me well.  Do let us know how he likes it.

post #23756 of 48312
+1 Mimo.

Well-played. I hope your son gives it lots of wrist time, and he blossoms into a total watch FREAK.



You know, there's a reason that crack dealers give away free samples smile.gif
post #23757 of 48312
Mimo, Tissot is my brand of choice when comes to gifts, excellent quality at a low price point, good choice!
post #23758 of 48312
So, something that I have been thinking about lately. Figured I would bring it up here. Vintage Rolex.

With that lame intro finished, let me get to the meat of it. I was reading the 'dink the other day, and I remember coming across this article:

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/rolex-albino-daytona-ben-clymer

In it, it talks about the "legendary" albino Daytona. Here is a picture for posterity.



In this article, the writer states that in May 2008, the sale of Clapton's Albino Daytona realized the significant sum of $505,000. Five years prior to the 2008 sale, that SAME Daytona sold for $50,109. 1/10 of the price!

So, when I first laid my eyes on this rare beast, my first thought was "that is absolutely gorgeous." But then I took a step back. I was honest with myself. And I can honestly say that there is no way I would pay anything remotely near that amount. I do not find the albino Daytona nearly as aesthetically pleasing as the Paul Newman variety. And I had to ask myself. Taking away the rarity of the Paul Newman Daytona, and the Paul Newman connection--would I really want it as much as a current generation Rolex? Would I really forsake the technology increases and the increase in quality for the original?

I am at something of a crossroads. Do I really love vintage Rolex? Or is it just the allure? And, what is even more complicated... what if the market for vintage Rolex bottoms out? If I paid $12,000 for a Steve McQueen Explorer II, I think I would be a bit miffed if they started selling for 1/10, or even 1/5 of what they are selling for now.

Now, I think there are certain vintage Rolexes that really do appeal to me. I really do love the Steve McQueen Explorer. And the Paul Newman Daytona. The 1675 Pepsi. I have yet to take the plunge into vintage Rolex territory. I have thought about it, but it is difficult for me to think about forking over so much money for something that is at least technologically inferior (I mean not to flame here of course, so please excuse my phraseology) than what is available at retail. I guess I just wanted to spark some discussion more than anything.

As an aside, I definitely think that vintage Rolex, at least aesthetically, is preferable (generally) to the current lineup. And this post is coming from someone who fawns over vintage Rolex. And from one who really wants to pick up several vintage models. This is merely my attempt at spelling out my thought processes!
post #23759 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnguy001 View Post

Spot on, Speedy!


That being said the G-Shock shown by Nuke is far more useful and comfortable IMO.

Thanks buddy! And I am going to have to check some G-Shocks out in person I guess smile.gif.
post #23760 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaplan View Post

All this G-Shock talk reminds me of my first watch, a black Casio digital (late 70's IIRC). Sadly I can't find it on Google. It had a black plastic (rubber?) strap, black pushers and the display didn't light up (one of the pushers activated a small light that shone across the display).

Anyone have better pics of PG's G-Shock?


I'm pretty sure that it's this model:

http://www.gshock.com/watches/Classic/GA100-1A1

(No, I'm not obsessive - I only know that because I was having a look at them in Japan a few weeks back.)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)