Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Yesterday at 1:56 pm in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Today at 8:58 am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 1529post #22921 of 483127/10/13 at 9:05pmpost #22922 of 483127/10/13 at 9:08pmI'm thinking of buying my dad a watch for his birthday and after doing some minor research online, have narrowed the search down to an AP Royal Oak and a PP Calatrava. I'm somewhat stuck in a predicament, as I can't seem to choose between the two (I know next to nothing about watches but have heard that PP and AP make quality products). Any advice/suggestions regarding which would be more suitable for a 55-year old Asian male would be greatly appreciated.
Option 2:post #22923 of 483127/10/13 at 10:07pmpost #22924 of 483127/10/13 at 10:10pmpost #22925 of 483127/10/13 at 10:25pmpost #22926 of 483127/10/13 at 11:54pmpost #22927 of 483127/11/13 at 12:45ampost #22928 of 483127/11/13 at 12:54ampost #22929 of 483127/11/13 at 4:38ampost #22930 of 483127/11/13 at 6:45am
these guesses are awesome. i expected it to be a dead give-away, but these answers are amazing. never realized how many potential answers there could be.
all will be told at high noon today. or thereabouts.
nice IWC, elisiX!post #22931 of 483127/11/13 at 6:57amQuote:Originally Posted by swaggerisaliability
I'm thinking of buying my dad a watch for his birthday and after doing some minor research online, have narrowed the search down to an AP Royal Oak and a PP Calatrava. I'm somewhat stuck in a predicament, as I can't seem to choose between the two (I know next to nothing about watches but have heard that PP and AP make quality products). Any advice/suggestions regarding which would be more suitable for a 55-year old Asian male would be greatly appreciated.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Both are great brands. I think you need to consider your dad's lifestyle. A RO Chronograph is a chunkier sport watch, the Calatrava a relatively thin dressy piece. Does he go to lots of dress events, or is he more of a sports watch kind of guy? The Patek uses its own movement, which is very nicely finished, however I would never choose that particular watch case. There are other Calatrava case styles that are more sturdy, where the lugs are more integrated and a solid part of the case. The case you have shown, the lugs are just soldered on, and I've seen the same watch come back to an AD (so it can go to a because an owner accidentally hit the watch against a door frame and he broke the lug off from the case). I'm sure they just soldered it back on (either at the AD or if it went back to a Patek service center), but still that would annoy me to have a case with lugs so delicate that they can be broken off so easily. In fact, the salesman said for that reason alone, he usually tries to persuade people to choose a different model of Calatrava.
Also, the RO that you have shown a photo of, I believe is out of production. You can find pre-owned models without any difficulty, but the new model that replaced it is a bit larger and chunkier at 41mm. The movement in the RO Chronograph is beautifully finished to AP's standards, but they do not make it completely in house themselves. It is based on the F.Piguet 1185, which is also used by Vacheron Constantin, Breguet, and a few others. Still its generally used only by a few top watch brands. Not sure if you are considering new, pre-owned, only gold, or also steel. If you are considering a RO and it does not have to be a chronograph, perhaps consider their iconic RO 15202. They are available in steel or rose gold if you want a new one, or also yellow gold if you choose pre-owned. They use movement 2121 which is famous for being at one point the thinnest automatic movement, and for also being the only movement ever used by "The Big Three" (Patek, AP, and Vacheron). Its a very versatile piece, sporty enough to wear casually, but dressy enough to wear with a suit.
Both companies have made and continue to make great watches. There are many options depending on if you choose new or pre-owned. You just have to figure out what will be best for your dad. Good luck and let us know what you decide.post #22932 of 483127/11/13 at 7:12amQuote:Originally Posted by scottcw
Love this new watch...
I'm with you, Nomos movement, very similar cases, Bauhaus-like design (same style subdial even)... I'll give you that the second hand is very stylish but all in all I'll take the Nomos any day.post #22933 of 483127/11/13 at 7:39ampost #22934 of 483127/11/13 at 7:42amQuote:
Boom! So excited! Less than two hours before the grand reveal!post #22935 of 483127/11/13 at 8:07am
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Yuketen Footwear 28 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 2 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 2 minutes ago
- › The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget – Carmina, John Lobb, Enzo Bonafè, Carlos Santos,... 4 minutes ago
- › Brooks Brothers Replacement? 8 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 11 minutes ago
- › Is this a real kiton men suit 17 minutes ago
- › Danner Stumptown Collection 19 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 22 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...