No worries, I think we just put dissenters on a giant piece of ice, and set them adrift. Just kidding.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 2:43 pm in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Yesterday at 10:00 am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 1490post #22336 of 483126/26/13 at 8:53ampost #22337 of 483126/26/13 at 8:53amQuote:
You know it's a MAN's watch!
I agree with your take on new Daytona vs used RO. As for this, I kind of think you're both right: I don't think the Daytona looks right anywhere but on a bracelet - for me. But I'd love to see a rose gold number on a croc strap on my lady. And so would she, unfortunately...must..work..harder....post #22338 of 483126/26/13 at 9:03amQuote:Originally Posted by no frills
Yeah - Oliver always posts some great pics via PuristS. But that's the least you should expect if the PuristS mods get privileged access to Patek pieces!
The finishing in my more complicated Pateks are otherworldly - but then they are also more complicated, with more nooks and crannies in which to employ the use of depth, different coloring, etc. This would be both on the dial side (3970s just have more subdials and detail than, say, a Calatrava or Nautilus 5711) or for movements (the manual winding CH 27-70 with its lack of rotor also lends itself to more to lovely viewing, and it has far more parts than, say, a cal 215 for a 5119 or a cal 324 for a 5711). So it's hard to compare.
I'd say that the complicated Pateks provide more of an opportunity to show off detailed, magnificent finishing. Unsure if Patek really scrimps on finishing for the "base" models, but there's only so much you can do on a relatively simple, flat Calatrava dial. What's good about Oliver's post (and the pictures you shared here) is that it compares the 5550 and the 5140, which should be more or less similar - except Patek just provides more detailing and better finishing for the 5550 (and prices it accordingly!).
These are, as always, excellent points. I will have the missus try different pieces on and see what she likes. Otherwise, Brooklyn Decker's choice ain't so bad.
Stitchy - that WG meteorite is really lovely. I will also have to have her check it out. She's a fan of "quirky" non-traditional dials and that might do the trick for her.
I agree largely on your description of the Patek differences, in that I don't think its so much a quality difference, I think there is just so much more they can do on a more complicated piece.
Very nice photo of of Ms. Decker and her... watch!post #22339 of 483126/26/13 at 9:12amQuote:
ohhh Dino....i agree completely on this. Theres something special about those hand wind daytonas. Id sell my soul for one if i hadnt already sold it for a bottle of scotch when i was 23.post #22340 of 483126/26/13 at 9:17amQuote:
i have tried it on in person a few times. the picture does not do it justice. amazing texture and visual interest to the dial. also looks great on a honey croc strap.post #22341 of 483126/26/13 at 9:19amQuote:
it looks awesome on a honey croc!! the dial is a tad darker in person than i thought. And man is it heavy.post #22342 of 483126/26/13 at 9:21ampost #22343 of 483126/26/13 at 9:36amQuote:
yes, i couldnt find an internet pic that really got the true dial color. its darker, more "splintered" and more textured irl. it is heavy. and amazing.
im cool with that.post #22344 of 483126/26/13 at 9:39ampost #22345 of 483126/26/13 at 9:57ampost #22346 of 483126/26/13 at 9:58amQuote:
Coincidentally, a friend of mine has one and is thinking of selling it. Oh, snap!
Here's a pic of the WG meteorite Daytona on a bracelet. Looks HOT.post #22347 of 483126/26/13 at 10:05ampost #22348 of 483126/26/13 at 10:20amQuote:Originally Posted by no frills
Coincidentally, a friend of mine has one and is thinking of selling it. Oh, snap!
Here's a pic of the WG meteorite Daytona on a bracelet. Looks HOT. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)post #22349 of 483126/26/13 at 10:21amQuote:
I've never been a fan of the WG with meteorite dial on a strap. I think I find just too much texture happening. The texture of the dial, the raised numerals (I usually prefer sticks or arabic numerals on chronographs to go with the tachymeter, when so equipped), the texturing of the strap, stitching etc. However, as pictured above on the WG bracelet the dial works really well with the overall design and I like it.
If going with a version on a strap, I'd probably see if I could find one with a dial that had the "Panda" design or if you prefer a solid color, one that has Arabic numerals. I would probably advise against the chocolate dial or the dark mother of pearl. I've known people that owned both and sold them shortly after realizing in real life, those dials are really tough to read.
Enjoy the search and good luck.post #22350 of 483126/26/13 at 10:34am
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Skoaktiebolaget – Carmina, John Lobb, Enzo Bonafè, Carlos Santos,... 1 minute ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 3 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 5 minutes ago
- › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 5 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 6 minutes ago
- › Taylor Stitch - Official Affiliate Thread 8 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 8 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 12 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 15 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 16 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...