I don't know of a model (outside of maybe one of the numerous limited editions) that uses a plastic crystal but still offers a sapphire display back, but then again I am no Speedmaster expert, and I prefer a sapphire front crystal in any event.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 12:12 pm in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Today at 11:21 am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 1383post #20731 of 483125/6/13 at 11:15ampost #20732 of 483125/6/13 at 11:26ampost #20733 of 483125/6/13 at 11:28amQuote:post #20734 of 483125/6/13 at 11:51amQuote:Originally Posted by no frills
I have been a certified watch nut since circa 1991. Since then I have managed to shatter a sum total of exactly zero sapphire crystals. But I have scratched plenty of plastic crystals. So I am with you on scrtach resistance trumping shatter resistance. I'm not at all sure how "easily scratchable" plus "easily fixable" nets out to a positive in a contemporary sports watch, but people like what they like. One thing Speedmaster shoppers are not lacking is choice.post #20735 of 483125/6/13 at 12:01pmpost #20736 of 483125/6/13 at 12:19pmQuote:post #20737 of 483125/6/13 at 12:40pmpost #20738 of 483125/6/13 at 12:40pmQuote:
You don't sound like an idiot to me. But I have seen plenty of plastic crystal Speedy's over the years and never understood the rhapsodizing about their special "warmth" as compared with their sapphire counterparts. In fact, it is pretty much only within the context of the Speeedmaster that I have heard the virtues of plastic crystalsI not only extolled but romanticized. I suspect if these virtues were more widely held, they would be more widely represented among contemporary watches.
I own a number of plastic crystal vintage pieces, and a number of sapphire contemporary pieces. They do look different - as one would expect given the different materials. I've never really wished that my vintage pieces were sapphire or that my contemporary pieces were plastic. I absolutely agree that seeing for yourself, wherever possible, is the smartest course of action.post #20739 of 483125/6/13 at 12:54pmpost #20740 of 483125/6/13 at 2:04pmQuote:Originally Posted by Newcomer
The new in-house offerings are exceptional, considering all that you get. Although I have not handled them in the flesh, the pictures I have seen are quite impressive.
Now, for the caveat. First, FC's PR department really needs to step its game up. Either you are a mall watch, or you are a manufacture. I think they are trying to straddle both markets, and that really causes their image to suffer. It would be like if Nomos suddenly started selling open heart Quartz watches at your local Kay. It just does not look good.
Second, FC's offerings truly lack an identity. Further, they tend to "borrow" their identity from other, more established manufactures.
For example, the moonphase above looks slightly reminiscent of this GP:
I wish that FC worked a little bit on developing themselves and their own identity.
With all that said, in their price range, you really cannot get much better for your money.
I would second that they need to define the direction of the brand better. I'd also say that they need to offer some smaller cases. I quickly gravitated to the brand early on because of the more modest case sizes. That moonphase I'd buy in a heartbeat if it wasn't 42MM. For the record I own 2 of their earlier ('08) offerings and think they are a superb value for the $.
As far as them borrowing design elements that's fine by me. They aren't homages that entirely rip off other designs but they take classic elements and incorporate them into watches that I can afford. I can't buy a Breguet but I have 2 FCs!Quote:
I'd say try WUS, just bought a used FC for my girl to wear a few weeks ago. They are hard to find as they aren't a well known but the upside is they're attractively priced when they do come up.
Edited by MZhammer - 5/6/13 at 2:15pmpost #20741 of 483125/6/13 at 2:38pmQuote:
Oops - you could be right...Quote:
Many thanks - think we're on the same page here, so very helpful.post #20742 of 483125/6/13 at 3:12pmTheses FC's are sweet. Will have to store these in the memory bankQuote:Originally Posted by apropos
Very nice, I like this very very much - congratulations!
I will admit I know next to nothing about this line of Zenith watches, but that actually looks like a fake. Something about it screams... fake.
Agreed. Not sure if anyone here noticed their new moonphase - a steal at ~$3,500!! No, that is not a typo!!post #20743 of 483125/6/13 at 6:48pmChecking out other options,
Opinions of Fortis watches? Quality? Movement?
Considering Flieger Chronograph (1400$ new) or Flieger b-42s (one with an ivory dial and normal black ones, not chronographs)
The Flieger seems to have mineral glass and not the sapphire. Guessing this can be put in for an extra 30-50 bucks?post #20744 of 483125/7/13 at 12:23amMovements on Fortis non-chronometer are valjoux 7750, maybe with some slight modifications. I think there are nicer watches for the money, but if you have seen them in person and really like them - go for it. I'd still recommend Oris, Hamilton, Stowa and maybe Tutima in that price range.post #20745 of 483125/7/13 at 2:59am
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 1 minute ago
- › OAMC - Over All Master Cloth - Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 2 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 4 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 5 minutes ago
- › SF, San Francisco, Bay Area STYLEFORUM MEETUP - Hosted by... 6 minutes ago
- › Grey and navy 7 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 7 minutes ago
- › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general 8 minutes ago
- › Please check if this is Real Air Max 1 or not ? 9 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding