Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 3/28/13 at 6:29am in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Today at 6:19 pm in Classic Menswear
- Anyone had a BAD exp with prestigetime.com? Last post on 2/1/16 at 9:53am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 1346post #20176 of 483014/24/13 at 1:55pm
Styles mentioned in this thread:post #20177 of 483014/24/13 at 2:00pmpost #20178 of 483014/24/13 at 2:16pmQuote:Originally Posted by Newcomer
That is the beautiful thing about this thread, is that everyone communicates honestly and tries (mainly speaking of myself) to communicate intelligently. This thread is like the hidden gem of SF.
You know, I was just thinking the same thing when I saw it this morning. I think that this is a step in the very right direction for GP. From what I remember reading, it is clocking in at ~40mm, and 11mm thick. I love the aesthetics of the 1966 line, but I feel that GP can be a bit oversized at times. It is nice to see them issue such a beautiful, classically designed chronograph.
I kind of feel sorry for GP. I feel like they are kind of the black sheep of the top tier. I feel like GP would do better if they dropped down a half a tier, or issued some more steel offerings. I am sure this thing is going to be priced fairly extravagantly, and I just think I would go for PP, AL&S, or VC at the price range I am sure they will be asking.Quote:
A pretty underrated brand indeed.
In fact, beside the MontBlanc Rieussec, they make one of my favorite chronograph of all time. Cream dial, domed crystal, great size
I had a chance to buy this a few months ago. I'm still kicking myself for not pulling the trigger. It is a relevantly rare watch, you just don't see them for sale.post #20179 of 483014/24/13 at 2:32pmpost #20180 of 483014/24/13 at 3:18pmpost #20181 of 483014/24/13 at 3:27pmpost #20182 of 483014/24/13 at 3:35pmpost #20183 of 483014/24/13 at 4:05pmpost #20184 of 483014/24/13 at 5:48pmpost #20185 of 483014/24/13 at 5:56pmQuote:Originally Posted by mimo
Hahaha....point well made. But seriously, for that money I still haven't got past the platinum Datograph mentioned several posts back. Come to think of it, the platinum Day-Dates are $45-55 too, which is just as crazy.
I guess if you spend as much on advertising and sponsorship as Rolex do (and I don't think it's my imagination that they've really ramped this up over the last couple of years), you have to get your money back somehow. There's not really any reason in cost terms for the new Daytona to be any more expensive than any of the gold editions - the material cost differences as a percentage are marginal. But then again there's no reason for a platinum Patek to be $20k more than the gold one either.
I think people have to remember the price of the Platinum Daytona relative to a Platinum Datograph or Patek is due to the sheer volume of platinum you get with a Daytona and the difficulty in working with it. With the Lange and Patek there is less Platinum, but far more hand workmanship. I've heard amounts varying from 5-10 tons of ore are required to produce 1 ounce of pure Platinum. In addition, Also as for comparing it to gold, gold is relatively soft and very easy to work with compared to platinum...so what it takes to make a gold case or bracelet is far less labor intensive than to make them from platinum.
Gold is significantly easier to work with.Quote:Originally Posted by in stitches
1.) platinum is 95% pure precious metal and 18k gold is only 75% pure precious metal. that alone is a 20% bump.
2.) platinum is a very hard metal and much more difficult to work with.
i read an article with an interview with someone at VC when they were doing their all platinum special editions, and i forget the exact numbers, but the amount of dials that were no good that had to be scrapped/refined for every successful dial was very significant. the same is pretty much true for cases and buckles.
the amount of "throw" aways (obviously they are not thrown away, but they must be reprocessed) and the amount of time taken to craft the platinum models is far greater than the gold models.
now, im not saying that there is not some "prestige" thrown into the price bump to platinum over gold, but there is good reason why the price for a platinum watch will always be far more than a gold watch of the same model.
Spot on explanation!post #20186 of 483014/24/13 at 6:05pmQuote:Originally Posted by Newcomer
I guess what I was trying to say, is they are competing with the big guns in that price bracket. I mean some of these prices are verging on unconscionable.
This has been a fun day in TWAT [The Watch Appreciation Thread--I just realized what an unfortunate acronym this is].
That acronym is freakin hilarious! I wonder what the mods would say if they realized what the acronym is for the current name of this thread?
That being said...there is probably never a bad day if you're in ....The Watch Appreciation Thread.post #20187 of 483014/24/13 at 6:10pmQuote:Originally Posted by Dino944
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)I think people have to remember the price of the Platinum Daytona relative to a Platinum Datograph or Patek is due to the sheer volume of platinum you get with a Daytona and the difficulty in working with it. With the Lange and Patek there is less Platinum, but far more hand workmanship. I've heard amounts varying from 5-10 tons of ore are required to produce 1 ounce of pure Platinum. In addition, Also as for comparing it to gold, gold is relatively soft and very easy to work with compared to platinum...so what it takes to make a gold case or bracelet is far less labor intensive than to make them from platinum.Gold is significantly easier to work with.
Spot on explanation!
thanks, and right back atcha.post #20188 of 483014/24/13 at 6:15pmI find that posting actual pictures engenders more discussion. Here is the Tudor Chrono Heritage that I mentioned earlier. I am really digging it. Not a big fan of the Black Bay, the snowflake (lollipop?) hands ruin it for me. The Heritage on the other hand
Edit: I am having a hard time finding the blue vintage Heuer that I was thinking of earlier (it isnt the Monaco). However, I do think this one which I randomly found on the internet is beautiful. I hope it isnt fake.post #20189 of 483014/24/13 at 6:30pm
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread 13 seconds ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 2 minutes ago
- › New T-Shirt design 2 minutes ago
- › Ten Ties, Five Jackets (10/5 thread) 3 minutes ago
- › Balmoral Boot Porn 4 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 5 minutes ago
- › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general 10 minutes ago
- › Official Customs, Duties, and International Shipping Questions and... 14 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) 14 minutes ago
- › *** Official Norwegian Rain Bergen by T Michael Thread ******** -... 19 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Can I get the toe of my leather shoes...
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?