or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 133  

post #1981 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post
Then I am wearing now (and most days) an old knit tie watch - A Minerva made for the TZ forum. This is it, though not mine, and I replaced the worn original strap with a shell strap in more or less the same color. Here is the story from where I stole the picture.
That is a very nice watch. Often, when forums produce something in a limited edition, they do not do a very good job, but this is great.
post #1982 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi View Post
Often, when forums produce something in a limited edition, they do not do a very good job...
O RLY?

The Semenov holder looked pretty nice.
post #1983 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post
Then I am wearing now (and most days) an old knit tie watch - A Minerva made for the TZ forum.

This is it, though not mine, and I replaced the worn original strap with a shell strap in more or less the same color.


Here is the story from where I stole the picture.

I like. I also like the idea of a shell strap on this one, as long as it doesn't have that big "U" pattern of stitching often seen on older shell straps (which I think belongs on less dressy watches).
post #1984 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher View Post
I like. I also like the idea of a shell strap on this one, as long as it doesn't have that big "U" pattern of stitching often seen on older shell straps (which I think belongs on less dressy watches).
Thanks. I don't know what you mean by "U" pattern of stitching. The stitching on my strap is almost identical to the original Minerva OEM strap, except the stitches on the shell strap are white and there are some minor differences in the way the keepers and buckle-end are stitched. (For completeness, I bought mine at the Alden shop in NY and it is stamped Horween Shell Cordovan (not Alden); I wish it was unlined, since the point of shell was to avoid the rot that afflicts leather straps worn in the summer, but it is not.)
post #1985 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
The simplicity is very appealing.

I concur!



post #1986 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post
I don't know what you mean by "U" pattern of stitching.

A lot of older shell straps were unlined, and the pin ends were simply closed by folding over a flap and sewing it there in a U-shaped pattern. It can be seen in this current eBay auction. I like it for some watches, but not for really simple, dressy ones.
post #1987 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomasso View Post
I concur!




Ooooh...pretty.
post #1988 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher View Post
A lot of older shell straps were unlined, and the pin ends were simply closed by folding over a flap and sewing it there in a U-shaped pattern. It can be seen in this current eBay auction. I like it for some watches, but not for really simple, dressy ones.

Got it. I agree that it looks pretty unattractive for a non-sport watch. It think it would look pretty good with an aviator dial, though.
post #1989 of 48312
nice watch right there...
post #1990 of 48312
I've never gotten the appeal of the Dufour watches. They are completely hand-made yes, but so were a lot of other watches; or rather, some modern watches are also completely hand-made, say George Daniels.
post #1991 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing View Post
I've never gotten the appeal of the Dufour watches. They are completely hand-made yes, but so were a lot of other watches; or rather, some modern watches are also completely hand-made, say George Daniels.
Aren't Patek, Vacheron and Breguet all completely hand-made?
post #1992 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJman View Post
Aren't Patek, Vacheron and Breguet all completely hand-made?
Only a Kiton-fan would believe that. The special part of Dufour is that he makes everything himself, I believe, from the screws to the dial. Very traditional.
post #1993 of 48312
Very few watches are 100% handmade. It's all machined made and the only "handmade" aspects include assembly, finishing, and regulation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJman View Post
Aren't Patek, Vacheron and Breguet all completely hand-made?
post #1994 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coho View Post
Very few watches are 100% handmade. It's all machined made and the only "handmade" aspects include assembly, finishing, and regulation.
The Swiss and the Americans were the big proponents of what would be considered machine-made. They effectively killed off the British watch industry, who still insisted upon finishing and making movements individually. I think there's still a bit of snobbery regarding that today.
post #1995 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing View Post
The Swiss and the Americans were the big proponents of what would be considered machine-made. They effectively killed off the British watch industry, who still insisted upon finishing and making EVERYTHING individually.

It is the British way!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)