Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part Three Last post on Today at 6:42 am in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 3/28/13 at 6:29am in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Yesterday at 3:40 pm in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 1320
Styles mentioned in this thread:post #19787 of 483134/12/13 at 7:00pmQuote:Originally Posted by kungapa
So I won the auction for this one:
It was a real, life regular auction - not the ebay-style - at Anitquorum. I'm heading to pick it up in a few days. The seller listed it as cal 7751, but it seems VERY likely it is a Valjoux 88 instead.
All these three watches are Valjoux 88 and seem to be rather similar:
As is this (same seller, different site):
Congratulations on the win! The case size is 35mm? Do you know the height of the piece? Chrono movements tend to be thicker, skewing the case size / height ratio for others but there are some very, very elegantly laid out dial designs for triple date chronographs out there in the 35/36mm case size range. This one appeals to me.
Congrats again!post #19788 of 483134/12/13 at 7:03pmQuote:
A bit late here but congrats, Newcomer!
Speaking of straps and sweating it is rapidly warming up in my neck of the woods in NYC so I will see how long the leather straps last or if the steel bracelets end up getting more wrist time.post #19789 of 483134/12/13 at 9:53pmQuote:Originally Posted by Hayward
No, I wouldn't.
Let's make one thing clear. There is a difference between an artist and and artisan. An artist is trying to make a statement with his work that transcends its medium. The artisan is about technical craftsmanship within his chosen medium. There is a qualitative difference. That the medium commands a high price does not transform an artisan into an artist.
Needless to say artisan ship can itself become a medium for artistry. I have a collection of Japanese woodblock prints. This is a medium that basically started out as advertising for kabuki plays and whorehouses. The overwhelming majority of woodblock prints are still within the area of artisanal decorative illustration - they are no more profound than a netsuke, an article of haute couture, or a comic book, but they can be appreciated for beauty. However, Toshi Yoshida and other workers in the medium have used it to create actual art as well.
Secondly an artisanal object should still be dedicated to its basic function. This is not so much a judgment upon the artisan as it is the person who in this case wears the watch. The reality is that you are talking about haute horology. I might enjoy seeing it in a gallery or trade show. I might buy it as part of a larger collection, only to sell or trade it off later. But wrist time is likely out of the question. Let's not forget this is a forum about wearing stuff. And personally I couldn't wear a watch like that!
Art is art, any and all mediums; I like your stab at spin! You would make a OK politician! But I wasn't born yesterday,so spin only works on the ill-informedAlso, only a affluent collector would buy this F.egg of yours, not for the time keeping, but mere show and knowing its exclusivity (bragging rights)!post #19790 of 483134/12/13 at 10:38pmpost #19791 of 483134/12/13 at 10:50pmpost #19792 of 483134/12/13 at 11:11pmpost #19793 of 483134/13/13 at 12:43amQuote:
OK, LOL, Well, I cant explain that! What passes for art these days can be rather shocking, I suppose ( that's1 of the funniest things I have ever heard)!post #19794 of 483134/13/13 at 12:44ampost #19795 of 483134/13/13 at 5:19ampost #19796 of 483134/13/13 at 5:21ampost #19797 of 483134/13/13 at 5:27ampost #19798 of 483134/13/13 at 10:13ampost #19799 of 483134/13/13 at 7:45pm
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 16 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 22 seconds ago
- › NFL 2015-16 Thread 1 minute ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing,... 2 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 3 minutes ago
- › Alligator / Crocodile Shoes 8 minutes ago
- › White Dinner Jacket/Tuxedo Jacket for Houston wedding 8 minutes ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 9 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 9 minutes ago
- › Cars We Drive! 9 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Exclusive Indochino Sale! 2 Suits for 800$...
- › Can I get the toe of my leather shoes...
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?