or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 132  

post #1966 of 48312
Nice watch collection. All new and shiny. Everything available in the shops for this eager young buyer. The owner is just 20 years old. It's good to establish yourself financially early in life. http://www.network54.com/Forum/12546...-+Long+Post%29
post #1967 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustapha View Post
Nice watch collection. All new and shiny. Everything available in the shops for this eager young buyer. The owner is just 20 years old. It's good to establish yourself financially early in life.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/12546...-+Long+Post%29


post #1968 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniper View Post
Thought I'd have this repaired. My only watch, which I've not worn in years, a hand-me-down from a great uncle I never met.

One hand had fallen off, dome was cracked, strap was a nasty fake-gold expanding bracelet.



Cost about $180 to do, which is probably more than it's worth, but never mind - I like it.

Planning to buy a better strap when I can afford it - This one was only $15.

(Edit: The mottling on the face doesn't look as bad in person)

I like it quite a lot.
post #1969 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post
What is the story behind the California dial? That is, the odd combination of Roman and Arabic numerals, and plain markers. If it's just decorative, that's an odd feature for a "tool watch".
I'll answer my own question (got it from the estimable James Dowling on the military watch forum): It was made as a dial that one can quickly orient under any circumstance. Why it is called 'California' is also simple; in the 80s vintage watch dealers and restorers, particularly Kirk Rich Dial Co of Los Angeles, redialled thousands of Bubblebacks and Oysters with this dial because it was attractive. And then sold them to antique stores, to the non-watch-nerds who ran these stores the name 'California' dial sold better than "Error Proof" or "Roman Arabic".
post #1970 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustapha View Post
Nice watch collection. All new and shiny. Everything available in the shops for this eager young buyer. The owner is just 20 years old. It's good to establish yourself financially early in life. http://www.network54.com/Forum/12546...-+Long+Post%29
Those watches are absolutely huge for his wrist. They are the horological equivalent of wearing your walrus-sized father's suits when you are a mere size 38. Not only are they grotesquely oversized, I've never felt the Royal Oak to be an attractive watch--it may be a Genta design, but it is also quite ugly. In fact, Genta designs all strike me as uniformly unattractive--they're all dated looking in a tacky sort of way. Frankly, most modern watch designs--like modern car designs--are all ugly and unharmonious. There is no aesthetic symmetry. This also goes for women's watches, which are inevitably covered with gems and then come with something like a quartz movement.
post #1971 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustapha View Post
Nice watch collection. All new and shiny. Everything available in the shops for this eager young buyer. The owner is just 20 years old. It's good to establish yourself financially early in life. http://www.network54.com/Forum/12546...-+Long+Post%29
This is the horological equivalent of "What Not to Wear." Absolutely dreadful on him.
post #1972 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister View Post
This is the horological equivalent of "What Not to Wear."

Absolutely dreadful on him.

Agreed. I've never cared for the Royal Oaks anyway -- there's something cheap looking about them -- but this is awful.
post #1973 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher View Post
Agreed. I've never cared for the Royal Oaks anyway -- there's something cheap looking about them -- but this is awful.
Royal Oaks, Panerais, Rolex... They all look really crappy to me. Like Hermes ties for the wrist.
post #1974 of 48312
Thread Starter 
^^^ Coming from the owner of fugly award winner VC Overseas ?

Get outta my thread !!
post #1975 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post
Royal Oaks, Panerais, Rolex... They all look really crappy to me. Like Hermes ties for the wrist.

What is the equivalent of a knit tie for the wrist?
post #1976 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post
What is the equivalent of a knit tie for the wrist?
I don't know. What is really popular on some random watch forum right now?
post #1977 of 48312
Then I am wearing now (and most days) an old knit tie watch - A Minerva made for the TZ forum. This is it, though not mine, and I replaced the worn original strap with a shell strap in more or less the same color. Here is the story from where I stole the picture.
post #1978 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post
I don't know. What is really popular on some random watch forum right now?

A couple years ago, the Hublot Big Bang was the darling of Timezone. It's an awfully hideous and tacky watch. In comparison, you'd find most Panerais positively understated .
post #1979 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey View Post
Then I am wearing now (and most days) an old knit tie watch - A Minerva made for the TZ forum.

I really like that. The simplicity is very appealing.
post #1980 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafoofan View Post
A couple years ago, the Hublot Big Bang was the darling of Timezone. It's an awfully hideous and tacky watch. In comparison, you'd find most Panerais positively understated .

THAT, and the AP ROO.

Plus I think both brands had a bet on how many limited editions they can produce.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)