It is pretty absurd. Worth reading the threak on it. It is... extensive.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 3/28/13 at 6:29am in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Yesterday at 7:51 pm in Classic Menswear
- Anyone had a BAD exp with prestigetime.com? Last post on 2/1/16 at 9:53am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: Yesterday
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 1174
Styles mentioned in this thread:post #17597 of 482352/1/13 at 8:54amQuote:
Meh, it pretty clearly states everything in the listing. It's a converted pocket watch; as to it's authenticity from what the listing claims to be original I can't speak to, but the listing makes it perfectly clear what it claims to be original and what it does not. Seems to me to be enough to make an informed decision.post #17598 of 482352/1/13 at 8:58amI got this for my wife. It's a beautiful grey dial. No diamonds. Automatic. Much less than 5K with the right connectionsQuote:Originally Posted by Moloch38
Glad you guys brought up the discussion on ladies watches. I'm also looking at an anniversary watch for the wife. I've looked at some of the smaller Rolex and Cartier Ballon Blue, but I've been drawn to the Omega mother of pearl Deville. She has a very small wrist and will want something without diamonds for daily wear. I don't want to of quartz, but I have been liking some of the MoP options. any suggestions around the $5k range?
I know a very few handful of guys that wear B&R and Sinn watches down range and a Omega SMP and Rolex or two. I love that Sinn GMT. GMT is a huge function to have here that leaves me wearing my Suunto more often than not, but after multiple deployments my Marathon GSAR has been the best, especially with the tritium tubes. If it had a GMT hand it would be perfect (which is why I covet that Sinn!). They have always serviced my GSAR for free and replaced the bezel and crystal after it got jacked up during some high adventure last deployment, class act!
If I could pick an all around watch I'd like the Omega SMP Apollo 15 40th Ann watch with the Red/White/Blue stripes on the outside of the dial. The SMP has always been a favorite and I'm a sucker for the patriotic color scheme.post #17599 of 482352/1/13 at 9:04amAgree with you Dino. I can't say the guy's a scammer, but it seems like he's betting someone will see "IWC" and pull the trigger. Again, his description has the information so can't really blame him if the buyer isn't careful.
But I agree, this watch is a franken-monster.. The Portofino/Portuguese styled dial with the Big Pilot crown? No thanksQuote:Originally Posted by Dino944
Sure its for a search engine and yes the description says, movement from this, case from that, dial from whatever, etc. However, calling it an IWC wristwatch it creates the idea, probably among novices, that someone is buying an IWC watch.
IMHO its a "Franken-watch" piece of junk. I'm only interested in watches that are original and produced by real watch companies, but if someone wants to buy it I wish them luck.post #17600 of 482352/1/13 at 9:19ampost #17601 of 482352/1/13 at 9:24ampost #17602 of 482352/1/13 at 9:25ampost #17603 of 482352/1/13 at 9:26ampost #17604 of 482352/1/13 at 9:27amQuote:
I think a smaller watch is nice when it's a simple two or three hand design; more dressy and subtle. I think it has to be a white face if it's smaller though. And personally, I prefer a brown strap, especially with the rose gold. But then who the hell am I? :)post #17605 of 482352/1/13 at 9:29amQuote:
No screwed chatons, dopey.
AFAIK screwed chatons are standard on cal 57/58, and I've been told that one should expect them on good pocket watches of that vintage. Full disclosure - I know little about pocket watches, so could be completely wrong.
I think idiots who recase pocket watches and sell them as wristwatches without full and upfront disclosure should be skinned, which is I guess poetic justice in a sense (and my warped mind at work of course).post #17606 of 482352/1/13 at 9:33ampost #17607 of 482352/1/13 at 10:10ampost #17608 of 482352/1/13 at 10:41ampost #17609 of 482352/1/13 at 11:00ampost #17610 of 482352/1/13 at 11:04amQuote:Originally Posted by bawlin
What's everyone's thoughts on the 39mm Explorer 1? Also, what sort of perception do people have of Rolexes and people who wear them? I think at 39mm, the Explorer 1 is subtle enough to get a pass and mitigate any negative perceptions, no?
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The Ex 1 in the photo is actually the prior 36mm 114270. I prefer it to the 39mm model, but both are nice. Both are simple tasteful steel watches that are not going to attract any unwanted/negative attention. I think as long as you stay away from an all gold Rolex, which most people find very flashy...the majority of people don't care what watch you wear.
As for the perceptions of Rolex, its a very good, reliable and robust watch. It has very good resale value, and can take whatever you can dish out. Its not the same quality as say a Patek, Lange, AP, or VC...but a Rolex costs significantly less. As for perception of people wearing Rolex, I've met Rolex owners that I liked and some I didn't, but I could also say that about people that wear Patek, Journe, VC, AP, Omega and a bunch of other brands.
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Cars We Drive! 22 seconds ago
- › Australian Members 1 minute ago
- › Poor man's watch thread 1 minute ago
- › How do I tell which Zegna Tux I bought? 2 minutes ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 4 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's... 6 minutes ago
- › NBA 2015-2016 Season Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Official: Superhero, Comic Book, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror, etc...... 8 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 9 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 9 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
- › Comparison of shoe products - Lexol vs Saphir...
- › What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
- › Why am I not getting the mirror shine I want...
- › How do I polish my shoes but preserve the...