Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Yesterday at 11:42 pm in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on 9/23/16 at 10:32am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 1157post #17341 of 483121/27/13 at 5:21ampost #17342 of 483121/27/13 at 6:19amQuote:Originally Posted by ant702
"Envy," not a chance, most of the watches on this thread are obtainable! Most Americans have the" want it now attitude," be patient, work over-time, manage your money! This is for real: My best friend is a millionaire, we both make close to the same amount of money! How did he do it;. he's a cheap bastard! "dont give snobs any enjoyment, they love to hear how enviuos you are "
First, I'm not American; second, irony.post #17343 of 483121/27/13 at 6:21ampost #17344 of 483121/27/13 at 6:22ampost #17345 of 483121/27/13 at 6:25amQuote:
Congrats on your 116520! Looks great. It will be interesting to see if Rolex finally caves and gives those who have posted for a few years about wanting a 42mm sized Daytona what they want. The problem comes in that, like most companies they probably won't want to spend money to revise the movement, and when you stick a chronograph movement in a case thats larger than what the movement was originally intended for, the subdials give that away because they usually look too close to the center of the dial and the outer areas near the subdials look to empty. With an engraved bezel they can' t really cheat and throw a tychometer or pulsometer around the outer edge of the dial.
Edited by Dino944 - 1/27/13 at 7:03ampost #17346 of 483121/27/13 at 6:27ampost #17347 of 483121/27/13 at 7:43ampost #17348 of 483121/27/13 at 8:42ampost #17349 of 483121/27/13 at 9:07amQuote:
Good point, ant. The crown is not the easiest to grasp, but I have found it to be better to work with than the TF that it replaced.
I had a devil of a time with that one, but it was overall a smaller watch than the Roadster (34X28 mm or thereabouts) and I'm sure that was the main reason why.
Since you mention it, I also remember having a conversation with a salesman at a Bailey Banks and Biddle several years ago, and he was saying that he thought the crown would dig into the wrist too much to be comfortable, but I haven't had any issues of that sort. In terms of it being oversized, I honestly found it appealing, again perhaps more from an aesthetic point of view rather than pure functionality.
To me, the way the date magnifier is shaped, and how it "rolls towards the crown" (there's got to be a better way to say that) -- I don't know, it kind of lends the piece a certain coherence that I always found appealing.
And as for the bracelet, I actually like quite a bit. It's sort of the reverse of my Daytona, having the smaller center link brushed, and the outsides polished. More importantly, and I suppose just by simple good fortune... it fits me very well...ever so slightly snug; and that's a blessing since there's no fine adjustment to speak of.
Edited by Keith T - 1/27/13 at 9:21ampost #17350 of 483121/27/13 at 9:19ampost #17351 of 483121/27/13 at 10:15amQuote:
Congrats on the Daytona! That is the beauty of this hobby. There are so many watches out there, unfortunately we can't own or like them all.
Speaking of the GMT, what are you guys wearing today?post #17352 of 483121/27/13 at 10:16amQuote:
Suhweet! Glad to see more Daytonas showing up in this thread lately!
Keith T, happy to oblige. I was "feeling a bit blue" (and green) today, so I took this pic.
To paraphrase these timeless words of wisdom: "When a (watch) walks in with an itty bitty (case) and that round thing (?) in your face, you get SPRUNG!"post #17353 of 483121/27/13 at 10:34ampost #17354 of 483121/27/13 at 10:44ampost #17355 of 483121/27/13 at 10:46am
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Things you just don't get 26 seconds ago
- › ALFRED SARGENT Appreciation: Handgrade, Exclusive, etc. 2 minutes ago
- › Sell/Trade Eidos Napoli Field Jacket 42/52 Wool Herringbone 2 minutes ago
- › A Fine Pair Of Shoes: Official Affiliate thread 4 minutes ago
- › Eidos Napoli 4 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Strand boot in brown calf, 8.5EE 4 minutes ago
- › Gitman Vintage Bros. Charcoal Chambray Oxford shirt - Medium 4 minutes ago
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 5 minutes ago
- › Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread 12 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 12 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...