Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 3/28/13 at 6:29am in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Today at 6:19 pm in Classic Menswear
- Anyone had a BAD exp with prestigetime.com? Last post on 2/1/16 at 9:53am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 1157post #17341 of 483011/27/13 at 5:21am
Styles mentioned in this thread:post #17342 of 483011/27/13 at 6:19amQuote:Originally Posted by ant702
"Envy," not a chance, most of the watches on this thread are obtainable! Most Americans have the" want it now attitude," be patient, work over-time, manage your money! This is for real: My best friend is a millionaire, we both make close to the same amount of money! How did he do it;. he's a cheap bastard! "dont give snobs any enjoyment, they love to hear how enviuos you are "
First, I'm not American; second, irony.post #17343 of 483011/27/13 at 6:21ampost #17344 of 483011/27/13 at 6:22ampost #17345 of 483011/27/13 at 6:25amQuote:
Congrats on your 116520! Looks great. It will be interesting to see if Rolex finally caves and gives those who have posted for a few years about wanting a 42mm sized Daytona what they want. The problem comes in that, like most companies they probably won't want to spend money to revise the movement, and when you stick a chronograph movement in a case thats larger than what the movement was originally intended for, the subdials give that away because they usually look too close to the center of the dial and the outer areas near the subdials look to empty. With an engraved bezel they can' t really cheat and throw a tychometer or pulsometer around the outer edge of the dial.
Edited by Dino944 - 1/27/13 at 7:03ampost #17346 of 483011/27/13 at 6:27ampost #17347 of 483011/27/13 at 7:43ampost #17348 of 483011/27/13 at 8:42ampost #17349 of 483011/27/13 at 9:07amQuote:
Good point, ant. The crown is not the easiest to grasp, but I have found it to be better to work with than the TF that it replaced.
I had a devil of a time with that one, but it was overall a smaller watch than the Roadster (34X28 mm or thereabouts) and I'm sure that was the main reason why.
Since you mention it, I also remember having a conversation with a salesman at a Bailey Banks and Biddle several years ago, and he was saying that he thought the crown would dig into the wrist too much to be comfortable, but I haven't had any issues of that sort. In terms of it being oversized, I honestly found it appealing, again perhaps more from an aesthetic point of view rather than pure functionality.
To me, the way the date magnifier is shaped, and how it "rolls towards the crown" (there's got to be a better way to say that) -- I don't know, it kind of lends the piece a certain coherence that I always found appealing.
And as for the bracelet, I actually like quite a bit. It's sort of the reverse of my Daytona, having the smaller center link brushed, and the outsides polished. More importantly, and I suppose just by simple good fortune... it fits me very well...ever so slightly snug; and that's a blessing since there's no fine adjustment to speak of.
Edited by Keith T - 1/27/13 at 9:21ampost #17350 of 483011/27/13 at 9:19ampost #17351 of 483011/27/13 at 10:15amQuote:
Congrats on the Daytona! That is the beauty of this hobby. There are so many watches out there, unfortunately we can't own or like them all.
Speaking of the GMT, what are you guys wearing today?post #17352 of 483011/27/13 at 10:16amQuote:
Suhweet! Glad to see more Daytonas showing up in this thread lately!
Keith T, happy to oblige. I was "feeling a bit blue" (and green) today, so I took this pic.
To paraphrase these timeless words of wisdom: "When a (watch) walks in with an itty bitty (case) and that round thing (?) in your face, you get SPRUNG!"post #17353 of 483011/27/13 at 10:34ampost #17354 of 483011/27/13 at 10:44ampost #17355 of 483011/27/13 at 10:46am
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › H.N. White - Handmade English Ties - Official Affiliate Thread 1 minute ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 4 minutes ago
- › Paul Smith London IT48R/US38R Double-Breasted Camel Cashmere (50%)... 6 minutes ago
- › Classic Menswear Lounge 7 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 9 minutes ago
- › Supreme x Schott NYC Perfecto Double Rider 13 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 14 minutes ago
- › LOAKE APPRECIATION & SHOE P0RN THREAD 15 minutes ago
- › NIGEL CABOURN Everest Parka survival yellow anarctic arctic Ventile 25 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 29 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Can I get the toe of my leather shoes...
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?