Very nice -if you can wear it, do it - no girly watches.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 3/28/13 at 6:29am in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Today at 8:28 am in Classic Menswear
- Anyone had a BAD exp with prestigetime.com? Last post on 2/1/16 at 9:53am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 1097
Styles mentioned in this thread:
Well I agree if the watch is similar in price, for example I bought a JLC Master Control recently, I started to look at the IWC Portofino which was less expensive (around 1400 EUR less). But I didn't want to settle for a watch with no in-house movement and I liked the JLC more style wise with it's 39 mm case vs 40 mm of the Portofino etc. But I still want a JLC Duomèmetre à Sphérotourbillon, however I think will have to settle for the Master Control... Anyway watches can be really expensive so sometimes I think you do have to settle.
While I appreciate what goes into a Tourbillon or Minute Repeater, I have never really had a desire to own one. So while I do want certain higher end brands in my collection, maybe I've never felt I've settled because my grail watches are more realistic. Sure if I chose slightly lesser items maybe I would be able to own more watches or own more complicated pieces, but they might not mean as much to me. Everyone is different, and what makes sense to us as a good purchase, or what seems like settling may mean differnet things to each of us. I just don't buy things that I feel would be settling. We all have to make choices that are right for each of us and those choices might be different.
I've also heard Breguet hands referred to as "Pomme/Apple" hands. I've never heard that the hands had to be blued, but to be honest, most watches I've seen with Breguet/apple hands that were blued.
Edited by Dino944 - 12/30/12 at 2:16pm
The former is more interesting because it forces you to compromise. In addition, the choices can be more useful and applicable to most people.
well, then, i have to think about that. my general watch daydreaming does not go in that direction. this requires some thought.
In no particular order...
Piaget Altiplano manual wind with subdial for seconds
Patek rectangular Gondolo for something off the beaten path
JLC Reverso (not sure which model I would really want, but it has to be the GT size. I find the XGT cased watches too thick and not as versatile for me).
AP RO Chronograph
Lange Cabaret or Lange 1.
I'll also add the new Lange Datograph, which corrected the design flaws which kept me from the now discontinued original.
gdl - I passed on the JLC platinum sun moon a few months back, so let me know if you'd like the contact.
JLC Reverso - dont like the 1931, and like Dino, would need to be a smaller case
Vintage Rolex, something that doesnt have the cyclops date and doesnt have a ton of numbers around the bezel, the SD posted on this page is right up my alley
IWC 3705 - the ceramic fleiger, very hard to find
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 1 minute ago
- › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata 1 minute ago
- › ***....Falcon Garments - Official Affiliate Thread....*** MTM/MTO... 8 minutes ago
- › White Dinner Jacket/Tuxedo Jacket for Houston wedding 10 minutes ago
- › The Fake Hate Crimes Thread 12 minutes ago
- › The Official Wine Thread 13 minutes ago
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 18 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Toronto Thread 21 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 21 minutes ago
- › General Bike Thread (Desiderata, questions, porn) 23 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › Price list for Vass shoes and boots for 2016
- › Paris: Men's Fashion Week, Part 1
- › Advice on care and maintenance of Alden...
- › Help, the back of the inside of my shoes are...
- › Getting rid of a black spot on Wolverine boots
- › Removing a scratch from a pair of shoes
- › How to fix a scratch in Allen Edmond Park...
- › The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as...
- › The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as...