Very nice -if you can wear it, do it - no girly watches.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 3:35 pm in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on 7/22/16 at 10:03pm in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 1097post #16441 of 4831212/30/12 at 10:44ampost #16442 of 4831212/30/12 at 10:45ampost #16443 of 4831212/30/12 at 11:21amQuote:Originally Posted by point1
Well I agree if the watch is similar in price, for example I bought a JLC Master Control recently, I started to look at the IWC Portofino which was less expensive (around 1400 EUR less). But I didn't want to settle for a watch with no in-house movement and I liked the JLC more style wise with it's 39 mm case vs 40 mm of the Portofino etc. But I still want a JLC Duomèmetre à Sphérotourbillon, however I think will have to settle for the Master Control... Anyway watches can be really expensive so sometimes I think you do have to settle.
While I appreciate what goes into a Tourbillon or Minute Repeater, I have never really had a desire to own one. So while I do want certain higher end brands in my collection, maybe I've never felt I've settled because my grail watches are more realistic. Sure if I chose slightly lesser items maybe I would be able to own more watches or own more complicated pieces, but they might not mean as much to me. Everyone is different, and what makes sense to us as a good purchase, or what seems like settling may mean differnet things to each of us. I just don't buy things that I feel would be settling. We all have to make choices that are right for each of us and those choices might be different.Quote:
I've also heard Breguet hands referred to as "Pomme/Apple" hands. I've never heard that the hands had to be blued, but to be honest, most watches I've seen with Breguet/apple hands that were blued.
Edited by Dino944 - 12/30/12 at 2:16pmpost #16444 of 4831212/30/12 at 12:14pmpost #16445 of 4831212/30/12 at 1:56pmpost #16446 of 4831212/30/12 at 2:37pmpost #16447 of 4831212/30/12 at 2:42pmQuote:
The former is more interesting because it forces you to compromise. In addition, the choices can be more useful and applicable to most people.post #16448 of 4831212/30/12 at 2:52pmQuote:
well, then, i have to think about that. my general watch daydreaming does not go in that direction. this requires some thought.post #16449 of 4831212/30/12 at 3:37pmpost #16450 of 4831212/30/12 at 4:16pmpost #16451 of 4831212/30/12 at 4:20pmpost #16452 of 4831212/30/12 at 4:29pmThread Starterpost #16453 of 4831212/30/12 at 5:26pm
In no particular order...
Piaget Altiplano manual wind with subdial for seconds
Patek rectangular Gondolo for something off the beaten path
JLC Reverso (not sure which model I would really want, but it has to be the GT size. I find the XGT cased watches too thick and not as versatile for me).
AP RO Chronograph
Lange Cabaret or Lange 1.post #16454 of 4831212/30/12 at 5:33pm+1 on the Resonance, although with prices up over 50% the past three years this is floating beyond my reach. Not to mention the inevitable Journe servicings required.
I'll also add the new Lange Datograph, which corrected the design flaws which kept me from the now discontinued original.
gdl - I passed on the JLC platinum sun moon a few months back, so let me know if you'd like the contact.post #16455 of 4831212/30/12 at 5:41pmI am going to go with 5 that are sort of attainable for me. For reference, all I have right now is a Dornblueth 99.1 (blue face) and a Sinn U1:
JLC Reverso - dont like the 1931, and like Dino, would need to be a smaller case
Vintage Rolex, something that doesnt have the cyclops date and doesnt have a ton of numbers around the bezel, the SD posted on this page is right up my alley
IWC 3705 - the ceramic fleiger, very hard to find
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Cars We Drive! 23 seconds ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 1 minute ago
- › The Hong Kong Tailors Thread 1 minute ago
- › Why Hillary will be the next POTUS 2 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 4 minutes ago
- › Cool Shoes, Paraphernalia & Desiderata - Part II 4 minutes ago
- › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread 4 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 6 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 7 minutes ago
- › WTF over-zealous police? 8 minutes ago
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding