Very nice -if you can wear it, do it - no girly watches.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 8:44 am in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 3/17/17 at 6:49am in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Today at 10:41 am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 1097post #16441 of 4831212/30/12 at 10:44ampost #16442 of 4831212/30/12 at 10:45ampost #16443 of 4831212/30/12 at 11:21amQuote:Originally Posted by point1
Well I agree if the watch is similar in price, for example I bought a JLC Master Control recently, I started to look at the IWC Portofino which was less expensive (around 1400 EUR less). But I didn't want to settle for a watch with no in-house movement and I liked the JLC more style wise with it's 39 mm case vs 40 mm of the Portofino etc. But I still want a JLC Duomèmetre à Sphérotourbillon, however I think will have to settle for the Master Control... Anyway watches can be really expensive so sometimes I think you do have to settle.
While I appreciate what goes into a Tourbillon or Minute Repeater, I have never really had a desire to own one. So while I do want certain higher end brands in my collection, maybe I've never felt I've settled because my grail watches are more realistic. Sure if I chose slightly lesser items maybe I would be able to own more watches or own more complicated pieces, but they might not mean as much to me. Everyone is different, and what makes sense to us as a good purchase, or what seems like settling may mean differnet things to each of us. I just don't buy things that I feel would be settling. We all have to make choices that are right for each of us and those choices might be different.Quote:
I've also heard Breguet hands referred to as "Pomme/Apple" hands. I've never heard that the hands had to be blued, but to be honest, most watches I've seen with Breguet/apple hands that were blued.
Edited by Dino944 - 12/30/12 at 2:16pmpost #16444 of 4831212/30/12 at 12:14pmpost #16445 of 4831212/30/12 at 1:56pmpost #16446 of 4831212/30/12 at 2:37pmpost #16447 of 4831212/30/12 at 2:42pmQuote:
The former is more interesting because it forces you to compromise. In addition, the choices can be more useful and applicable to most people.post #16448 of 4831212/30/12 at 2:52pmQuote:
well, then, i have to think about that. my general watch daydreaming does not go in that direction. this requires some thought.post #16449 of 4831212/30/12 at 3:37pmpost #16450 of 4831212/30/12 at 4:16pmpost #16451 of 4831212/30/12 at 4:20pmpost #16452 of 4831212/30/12 at 4:29pmThread Starterpost #16453 of 4831212/30/12 at 5:26pm
In no particular order...
Piaget Altiplano manual wind with subdial for seconds
Patek rectangular Gondolo for something off the beaten path
JLC Reverso (not sure which model I would really want, but it has to be the GT size. I find the XGT cased watches too thick and not as versatile for me).
AP RO Chronograph
Lange Cabaret or Lange 1.post #16454 of 4831212/30/12 at 5:33pm+1 on the Resonance, although with prices up over 50% the past three years this is floating beyond my reach. Not to mention the inevitable Journe servicings required.
I'll also add the new Lange Datograph, which corrected the design flaws which kept me from the now discontinued original.
gdl - I passed on the JLC platinum sun moon a few months back, so let me know if you'd like the contact.post #16455 of 4831212/30/12 at 5:41pmI am going to go with 5 that are sort of attainable for me. For reference, all I have right now is a Dornblueth 99.1 (blue face) and a Sinn U1:
JLC Reverso - dont like the 1931, and like Dino, would need to be a smaller case
Vintage Rolex, something that doesnt have the cyclops date and doesnt have a ton of numbers around the bezel, the SD posted on this page is right up my alley
IWC 3705 - the ceramic fleiger, very hard to find
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine 1 minute ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 3 minutes ago
- › Buday Shoes - Hungarian Shoemaker 3 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 4 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 4 minutes ago
- › JAN-JAN VAN ESSCHE 4 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 4 minutes ago
- › The best value vendors I've found so far 4 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 4 minutes ago
- › J FitzPatrick Appreciation Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...