Very nice -if you can wear it, do it - no girly watches.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 3/28/13 at 6:29am in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Yesterday at 7:51 pm in Classic Menswear
- Anyone had a BAD exp with prestigetime.com? Last post on 2/1/16 at 9:53am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: Yesterday
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 1097post #16441 of 4822912/30/12 at 10:44am
Styles mentioned in this thread:post #16442 of 4822912/30/12 at 10:45ampost #16443 of 4822912/30/12 at 11:21amQuote:Originally Posted by point1
Well I agree if the watch is similar in price, for example I bought a JLC Master Control recently, I started to look at the IWC Portofino which was less expensive (around 1400 EUR less). But I didn't want to settle for a watch with no in-house movement and I liked the JLC more style wise with it's 39 mm case vs 40 mm of the Portofino etc. But I still want a JLC Duomèmetre à Sphérotourbillon, however I think will have to settle for the Master Control... Anyway watches can be really expensive so sometimes I think you do have to settle.
While I appreciate what goes into a Tourbillon or Minute Repeater, I have never really had a desire to own one. So while I do want certain higher end brands in my collection, maybe I've never felt I've settled because my grail watches are more realistic. Sure if I chose slightly lesser items maybe I would be able to own more watches or own more complicated pieces, but they might not mean as much to me. Everyone is different, and what makes sense to us as a good purchase, or what seems like settling may mean differnet things to each of us. I just don't buy things that I feel would be settling. We all have to make choices that are right for each of us and those choices might be different.Quote:
I've also heard Breguet hands referred to as "Pomme/Apple" hands. I've never heard that the hands had to be blued, but to be honest, most watches I've seen with Breguet/apple hands that were blued.
Edited by Dino944 - 12/30/12 at 2:16pmpost #16444 of 4822912/30/12 at 12:14pmpost #16445 of 4822912/30/12 at 1:56pmpost #16446 of 4822912/30/12 at 2:37pmpost #16447 of 4822912/30/12 at 2:42pmQuote:
The former is more interesting because it forces you to compromise. In addition, the choices can be more useful and applicable to most people.post #16448 of 4822912/30/12 at 2:52pmQuote:
well, then, i have to think about that. my general watch daydreaming does not go in that direction. this requires some thought.post #16449 of 4822912/30/12 at 3:37pmpost #16450 of 4822912/30/12 at 4:16pmpost #16451 of 4822912/30/12 at 4:20pmpost #16452 of 4822912/30/12 at 4:29pmThread Starterpost #16453 of 4822912/30/12 at 5:26pm
In no particular order...
Piaget Altiplano manual wind with subdial for seconds
Patek rectangular Gondolo for something off the beaten path
JLC Reverso (not sure which model I would really want, but it has to be the GT size. I find the XGT cased watches too thick and not as versatile for me).
AP RO Chronograph
Lange Cabaret or Lange 1.post #16454 of 4822912/30/12 at 5:33pm+1 on the Resonance, although with prices up over 50% the past three years this is floating beyond my reach. Not to mention the inevitable Journe servicings required.
I'll also add the new Lange Datograph, which corrected the design flaws which kept me from the now discontinued original.
gdl - I passed on the JLC platinum sun moon a few months back, so let me know if you'd like the contact.post #16455 of 4822912/30/12 at 5:41pmI am going to go with 5 that are sort of attainable for me. For reference, all I have right now is a Dornblueth 99.1 (blue face) and a Sinn U1:
JLC Reverso - dont like the 1931, and like Dino, would need to be a smaller case
Vintage Rolex, something that doesnt have the cyclops date and doesnt have a ton of numbers around the bezel, the SD posted on this page is right up my alley
IWC 3705 - the ceramic fleiger, very hard to find
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general 1 minute ago
- › Romantic Europe meets NYC: the ROBERT GELLER thread 1 minute ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 3 minutes ago
- › Yanko - Made In Spain Shoes 4 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 4 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 4 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 5 minutes ago
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Kamakura Shirts - Madison Ave Store 6 minutes ago
- › shoe construction...behind the veil 9 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
- › Comparison of shoe products - Lexol vs Saphir...
- › What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
- › Why am I not getting the mirror shine I want...
- › How do I polish my shoes but preserve the...