This brand has been on my radar for a while! I like the U1, but a little too heavy for my puny wrist! I heard from a buddy that this brand's designer came from IWC; the other one on my radar, what a coincidence!
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 4:04 pm in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Today at 4:00 pm in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 1096post #16426 of 4831212/30/12 at 2:28ampost #16427 of 4831212/30/12 at 2:43ampost #16428 of 4831212/30/12 at 5:03amSomething random I came across on the interwebz - was it you gdl who said you enjoyed Nespresso?
Yes, that dial is made from a flattened Nespresso capsule.
On a completely unrelated note - has anyone seen the Reverso 1931 Rouge IRL? What did you think of it compared with the regular black dial? Is it a darker red or a brighter red?
Edited by apropos - 12/30/12 at 5:58ampost #16429 of 4831212/30/12 at 5:11ampost #16430 of 4831212/30/12 at 5:14amQuote:Originally Posted by Dino944
With somethings yes, with some things no. Maybe a $10 million dollar home would be great, but thats not realistic at least not for me. As for some items, I can't settle, it would be a waste of time and money. I have a buddy that spends a good amount on watches, he often buys a good watch not wanting to spend more than a self imposed amount even though he could afford more (which is fine). But he does it even when he sees one that he truly wants which is maybe a few thousand more. Then he truly lusts for the other model. After a year or two he sells/trades the watch he bought, then buys the one he really wanted. However, by that point in time, he is dealing with the depreciation of the watch he bought and any subsequent price increases on the model he truly wanted. So in the end he has the watch he truly wanted, but it has cost him significantly more than if he just bought it to start. To me, thats not a great way to do things either.
Well I agree if the watch is similar in price, for example I bought a JLC Master Control recently, I started to look at the IWC Portofino which was less expensive (around 1400 EUR less). But I didn't want to settle for a watch with no in-house movement and I liked the JLC more style wise with it's 39 mm case vs 40 mm of the Portofino etc. But I still want a JLC Duomèmetre à Sphérotourbillon, however I think will have to settle for the Master Control... Anyway watches can be really expensive so sometimes I think you do have to settle.post #16431 of 4831212/30/12 at 5:23amQuote:Originally Posted by point1
Well I agree if the watch is similar in price, for example I bought a JLC Master Control recently, I started to look at the IWC Portofino which was less expensive (around 1400 EUR less). But I didn't want to settle for a watch with no in-house movement and I liked the JLC more style wise with it's 39 mm case vs 40 mm of the Portofino etc. But I still want a JLC Duomèmetre à Sphérotourbillon, however I think will have to settle for the Master Control... Anyway watches can be really expensive so sometimes I think you do have to settle.
One may want a repeater, however one may need to be a bit more realistic.
But just because I need to be realistic, doesn't mean that I ever have to settle for anything.
I just chose something else, I never settle for less.
Settle is a term I chose not to use.post #16432 of 4831212/30/12 at 5:28amQuote:Originally Posted by Rambo
I love this watch but its just TOO fucking big! 46mm is massive even in today's jumbo watch world. I really wish IWC would redo it with a 40 or 42mm case. So damn sexy. Its got everything on my watch wish list - roman numerals, moon phase, sub second, and even those little circle thingies on the hands.Quote:
Rambo, the watch wears smaller than its 46mm size because it is fairly thin at 11mm. That said, there's no getting around the fact that it is a big watch. Certainly the largest I own (and probably will ever own). But it is a thing of beautypost #16433 of 4831212/30/12 at 6:46amQuote:
Thats a tough situation especially if its something you really want and believe is a reasonable price. Does the guy have any references about previous transactions?
I've only known 2 guys personally that were not happy with purchases where photos were a bit iffy. One guy the watch wasn't in the condition the seller claimed it was in, and he did ok, seller took it back. Condition can be a tough issue because sometimes a person's idea of 90% could be different than yours if you are very detail oriented.
The other guy I knew should have done more homework...he bought a watch a a price too good to be true and it turned out to be a "Franken-watch"...it was a vintage GMT Master that someone had messed around with and turned into a more valuable vintage orange hand Exp II.
I'm kind of risk averse so if I'm not comfortable I would walk away...but everyone's comfort level is different.post #16434 of 4831212/30/12 at 6:47ampost #16435 of 4831212/30/12 at 6:52ampost #16436 of 4831212/30/12 at 7:17amQuote:
That wold look great in 40mm size. Bonus points if they use the older logo also. The (new) logo seems to go up in size every yearpost #16437 of 4831212/30/12 at 8:15amQuote:
what medtech said. while most breguet hands are blued steel, the shape and design itself belongs to him.post #16438 of 4831212/30/12 at 8:36amQuote:Originally Posted by Belligero
Thanks! How about these?
Leather NATOs are a bit of an acquired taste. They don't suit every watch, but I like them on pilot's watches; in fact, I prefer them for looks and comfort to the nylon variety for airplane-ey models.
I don' t like any type of leather strap on a diver's watch, though. Same deal with a gold case or chronograph function on a diver's model — cognitive dissonance.
That looks amazing, GMT with the red hand is one of my grail watches. I bet a suede strap would look amazing with that as well.post #16439 of 4831212/30/12 at 10:41amQuote:
Likewise. Really comparing cats to kittens.Quote:Originally Posted by Newcomer
So, I am debating selling off my JLC Master Control, and I think I am going to spring for one of the following:
Either the GO PML:
Or, conversely, the JLC MUT Moon:
The other alternative is potentially to keep the JLC Master Control, and then perhaps pick up a Rolex No Date Sub.
All three options have been swimming around my head for the past week or so, and I am at something of an impasse. It makes the most sense to me to sell the JLC MC and pick up the JLC MUT Moon. I would like a MUT Moon, and just do not see the point of owning a MC and a MUT Moon. On the other hand... the GO PML is such a beautiful watch, and it has always pulled at the heartstrings. However, recent wristshots of it have been a bit of a let down, and I wonder if I will always simply wish it was a Lange.
Decisions, decisions. Anyone have any thoughts (Dino, I have a feeling I can pin yours ).
I always liked the GO Panolunar until I got one and couldn't tell the time in low light conditions. Looks very nice, however.post #16440 of 4831212/30/12 at 10:42am
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 3 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 8 minutes ago
- › DLester's "Official Repository of Things That Are Awful Yet I Like... 10 minutes ago
- › Chippewa Service Boots Care Advice 12 minutes ago
- › St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread 13 minutes ago
- › TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other... 20 minutes ago
- › Taylor Stitch - Official Affiliate Thread 23 minutes ago
- › Buttons 'n' Threads Shirt Review 33 minutes ago
- › Equus Leather - Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate Thread 40 minutes ago
- › Things you just don't get 42 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding