As to budget, Im willing to spend. Indies are not that expensive anyway, compared to the big 3 grande comps.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 3/28/13 at 6:29am in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Today at 12:06 pm in Classic Menswear
- Anyone had a BAD exp with prestigetime.com? Last post on 2/1/16 at 9:53am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 1037
Styles mentioned in this thread:post #15542 of 4829411/16/12 at 11:14am
As for independents, it depends who you deal with and what you are spending. Some you are getting a truly custom piece, others in lower price ranges may use modified movements from other companies.
A friend bought a tourbillon from a small independent, spending well into six figures. He was able to ask them to do certain things with the watch, which is nice other things they could not or would not do. Personally, I would never have bought an expensive watch from an independent. I would be concerned about parts and service years from now if the watchmaker/owner of the company dies (he bought from a really small company). In addition, if he ever tires of it and/or wants/needs to sell it, it will be very tough to get his money out of. Obscure brand names have small followings, and often poor resale value. It would be easier to resell a watch from a bigger brand name.
If you want custom work, but don't want to go the route of an independent. VC has a program where you can order a watch custom to your specs. It can be as basic as commissioning an existing watch design but with a differnet dial, or commissioning them too make a completely customized watch to your specs...limited only buy your imagination and wallet. They will not customize an existing watch...you have to order the watch brand new with the agreed upon customization.post #15543 of 4829411/16/12 at 11:15ampost #15544 of 4829411/16/12 at 11:18ampost #15545 of 4829411/16/12 at 11:25amQuote:Originally Posted by Dino944
If you want custom work, but don't want to go the route of an independent. VC has a program where you can order a watch custom to your specs. It can be as basic as commissioning an existing watch design but with a differnet dial, or commissioning them too make a completely customized watch to your specs...limited only buy your imagination and wallet. They will not customize an existing watch...you have to order the watch brand new with the agreed upon customization.
i remember when they came out with that. awesome program.
regarding your first point,
im not big into independents. but if i was insanely wealthy, and into independents, i dont think resale would be a concern. only concern would be if i wanted to have it or not. unfortunately, i am not insanely wealthy at present.post #15546 of 4829411/16/12 at 11:30ampost #15547 of 4829411/16/12 at 11:46amQuote:
If insanely wealthy, then yes not a big deal.
As a lawyer I've seen very wealthy people go from very wealthy to not so wealthy and need $$$ in a hurry. They start selling everything they can sell. A bad business deal + serious illness can change things drastically for people.
But thats a depressing prospect so lets get back to fun and watches!post #15548 of 4829411/16/12 at 12:00pmpost #15549 of 4829411/16/12 at 12:11pmpost #15550 of 4829411/16/12 at 12:35pmQuote:who makes the strap on your calatrava?Originally Posted by bboysdontcryy
My humble collection.
Lazy to upload it on the forum, so it's here --
http://anuntitledaddress.tumblr.com/post/30108613524/part-of-my-humble-watch-collection-from-left-topost #15551 of 4829411/16/12 at 12:45pmpost #15552 of 4829411/16/12 at 12:47pmpost #15553 of 4829411/16/12 at 12:50pmpost #15554 of 4829411/16/12 at 1:19pm
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Articles of Style shop? 1 minute ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 1 minute ago
- › Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos 2 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 3 minutes ago
- › Carlos Santos Shoes - Feedback & Appreciation 4 minutes ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread... 4 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 5 minutes ago
- › Ten Ties, Five Jackets (10/5 thread) 6 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 6 minutes ago
- › Classic Menswear Lounge 6 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
- › Comparison of shoe products - Lexol vs Saphir...