As to budget, Im willing to spend. Indies are not that expensive anyway, compared to the big 3 grande comps.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 1:36 am in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on 7/22/16 at 10:03pm in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 1037post #15541 of 4831211/16/12 at 11:07ampost #15542 of 4831211/16/12 at 11:14am
As for independents, it depends who you deal with and what you are spending. Some you are getting a truly custom piece, others in lower price ranges may use modified movements from other companies.
A friend bought a tourbillon from a small independent, spending well into six figures. He was able to ask them to do certain things with the watch, which is nice other things they could not or would not do. Personally, I would never have bought an expensive watch from an independent. I would be concerned about parts and service years from now if the watchmaker/owner of the company dies (he bought from a really small company). In addition, if he ever tires of it and/or wants/needs to sell it, it will be very tough to get his money out of. Obscure brand names have small followings, and often poor resale value. It would be easier to resell a watch from a bigger brand name.
If you want custom work, but don't want to go the route of an independent. VC has a program where you can order a watch custom to your specs. It can be as basic as commissioning an existing watch design but with a differnet dial, or commissioning them too make a completely customized watch to your specs...limited only buy your imagination and wallet. They will not customize an existing watch...you have to order the watch brand new with the agreed upon customization.post #15543 of 4831211/16/12 at 11:15ampost #15544 of 4831211/16/12 at 11:18ampost #15545 of 4831211/16/12 at 11:25amQuote:Originally Posted by Dino944
If you want custom work, but don't want to go the route of an independent. VC has a program where you can order a watch custom to your specs. It can be as basic as commissioning an existing watch design but with a differnet dial, or commissioning them too make a completely customized watch to your specs...limited only buy your imagination and wallet. They will not customize an existing watch...you have to order the watch brand new with the agreed upon customization.
i remember when they came out with that. awesome program.
regarding your first point,
im not big into independents. but if i was insanely wealthy, and into independents, i dont think resale would be a concern. only concern would be if i wanted to have it or not. unfortunately, i am not insanely wealthy at present.post #15546 of 4831211/16/12 at 11:30ampost #15547 of 4831211/16/12 at 11:46amQuote:
If insanely wealthy, then yes not a big deal.
As a lawyer I've seen very wealthy people go from very wealthy to not so wealthy and need $$$ in a hurry. They start selling everything they can sell. A bad business deal + serious illness can change things drastically for people.
But thats a depressing prospect so lets get back to fun and watches!post #15548 of 4831211/16/12 at 12:00pmpost #15549 of 4831211/16/12 at 12:11pmMy humble collection.
Lazy to upload it on the forum, so it's here --
http://anuntitledaddress.tumblr.com/post/30108613524/part-of-my-humble-watch-collection-from-left-topost #15550 of 4831211/16/12 at 12:35pmQuote:who makes the strap on your calatrava?Originally Posted by bboysdontcryy
My humble collection.
Lazy to upload it on the forum, so it's here --
http://anuntitledaddress.tumblr.com/post/30108613524/part-of-my-humble-watch-collection-from-left-topost #15551 of 4831211/16/12 at 12:45pmpost #15552 of 4831211/16/12 at 12:47pmpost #15553 of 4831211/16/12 at 12:50pmpost #15554 of 4831211/16/12 at 1:19pmpost #15555 of 4831211/17/12 at 6:13am
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos 1 minute ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 6 minutes ago
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 17 minutes ago
- › TOFANI BESPOKE TAILOR NAPOLI 17 minutes ago
- › The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions 18 minutes ago
- › Cars We Drive! 20 minutes ago
- › Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned? 23 minutes ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread... 24 minutes ago
- › Canali Drop 7 38R/ 48R Blazer - Wool Silk Blend 34 minutes ago
- › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata 36 minutes ago
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding