Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 3/28/13 at 6:29am in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Yesterday at 5:46 pm in Classic Menswear
- Anyone had a BAD exp with prestigetime.com? Last post on 2/1/16 at 9:53am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 1035
Styles mentioned in this thread:
however, if i was a real collector, they would both have real representation by me.
JLC represent better value but I like Blancpain's design. As for quality I heard JLC is better.
For breguet, tourbillon is the best but it's $$$$$. I think breguet is better than AP. Sorry but I think most AP are ugly especially the royal oak, looks like casio.
Yes breguet lose to VC, PP, ALS. I actually german watches more than swiss.
insert aghast emoticon here
Its really difficult to find a brand that exceed the finishing standards of Lange. Whether you like the watch or their name on the dial is an entirely different matter. Journe makes a beautiful watch very low production numbers. However the few people I've met that owned them said they were terribly unreliable and had to undergo frequent repairs, which detracted from the ownership experience.
I've owned and sold two Journes (chronometre souverain, octa calendrier), and both of them required a significant factory overhaul. I like the Journe design as a counterweight to the more stark dials of Lange, but can't imagine ever picking one up again.
Edited by medtech_expat - 11/16/12 at 7:00am
I came here to say exactly what has already been said
I'm one of those people who chose JLC over BPV--buying the JLC Master Moon 39 over the Blancpain Villeret--for a number of reasons (in no particular order):
1. Case size. My wife did not like the wrist presence on the BPV at all. Said it looked like an "old man watch." I dunno how much a diff 37 to 39mm makes, but there you have it.
2. As andrewgreg said, JLC represents better value, and overall has a better reputation
3. the boldness of the stripped down minimalism on the JLC, won out over the busyness of the BPV (tho I too love the moon on the BPV)
Sidenote: I too dislike the Royal Oak, but the bracelet is beautiful. Dare I say the bracelet is more beautiful than the watch.
That was the point of my question. I like the design of the explorer dial, generally, but prefer a smaller size. That is why I was considering an Air King, which is smaller but has a similar dial. And also why I asked about finding a 36mm Explorer
Have I mentioned that I don't need another watch? I think I have.
Blancpain makes a good quality product, but its hard to say what their niche is, they are largely overshadowed by other companies including its sister company Breguet. For years they made watches that were nice like the 2100 but it had no real impact or presence. Breguet's dress watches are known for their amazing guilloche, they invented the tourbillon, and most watch people know the Type XX. Among major companies (I mean non-independents ) Lange and Patek are largely considered to have the finest finishing, and Patek has better resale and collectability than most watches. Until about 50 years ago VC was considered the top swiss brand, they are credited with pioneering the use of uniformity of parts/machinery in watches, and have tremendous history as the oldest continuously opperating watch company. AP created the genre of luxury sports watches with the Royal Oak, and are known for using unusual matterials in their watches such as tantalum, alacrite, forged carbon, and although I don't care for the Offshores they helped bring forward the trend of larger watches. Then there is JLC, which has lower starting price point, great quality, and is considered a tremendous value. Blancpain makes a great product, but they seem to be in the background of the watch world (sort of like GP) and not really a name or brand that competes directly with Lange, PP, AP, VC, or Breguet...even if they make watches that are in in the same price range of the other brands. I've looked at BPs before, and although they make a good product, I find that there are offerings from other brands that are higher up on my "Must haves" list.
As for whether Breguet is better than AP, it would depend on what you are comparing. As a general statement, I am not sure I'd agree. As for the RO, its a very polarizing watch. People love it, or hate it. Clearly one can see where you stand. However, saying it looks like a Casio...you start to lose some credibility or you need stronger prescription glasses. If you said it resembled a GP Laureato, Rolex Oysterquartz, IWC SL Jumbo Ingenuire...I'd say yes on some level it does, although the RO was the original and the others followed borrowing various styling elements of the RO. Like it or hate it it created the luxury sports watch market which other companies including PP, VC, GP, IWC, and others have jumped into with their own offering that are similar to the RO.
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- › shoe construction...behind the veil 1 minute ago
- › Stephan Schneider. You'll Always Find Me In The Kitchen At Parties. 1 minute ago
- › Romantic Europe meets NYC: the ROBERT GELLER thread 1 minute ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 3 minutes ago
- › Crockett & Jones MTO Central 3 minutes ago
- › LEMAIRE 4 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 4 minutes ago
- › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata 6 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc... 6 minutes ago
- › Gianfranco Ferre Ties 6 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › Price list for Vass shoes and boots for 2016
- › Paris: Men's Fashion Week, Part 1
- › Advice on care and maintenance of Alden...
- › Help, the back of the inside of my shoes are...
- › Getting rid of a black spot on Wolverine boots
- › Removing a scratch from a pair of shoes
- › How to fix a scratch in Allen Edmond Park...
- › The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as...
- › The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as...