Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 7:51 pm in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Today at 10:43 am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 1035post #15511 of 4831211/15/12 at 8:46pmpost #15512 of 4831211/15/12 at 9:42pmpost #15513 of 4831211/15/12 at 10:21pmpost #15514 of 4831211/15/12 at 10:27pmpost #15515 of 4831211/15/12 at 10:37pmwhile they both make some fantastic offerings, blancpain probably loses out to JLC much of the time, and breguet to ALS, PP, AP..... similar price points in general i think, though i have not checked blancpain prices in a while.
however, if i was a real collector, they would both have real representation by me.post #15516 of 4831211/15/12 at 10:45pmBlancpain is more expensive than. And for some model, with very similar function, blancpain can be 3k more expensive as far as i know.
JLC represent better value but I like Blancpain's design. As for quality I heard JLC is better.
For breguet, tourbillon is the best but it's $$$$$. I think breguet is better than AP. Sorry but I think most AP are ugly especially the royal oak, looks like casio.
Yes breguet lose to VC, PP, ALS. I actually german watches more than swiss.post #15517 of 4831211/15/12 at 10:45pmpost #15518 of 4831211/16/12 at 6:37amQuote:
insert aghast emoticon hereQuote:Originally Posted by Dino944
Its really difficult to find a brand that exceed the finishing standards of Lange. Whether you like the watch or their name on the dial is an entirely different matter. Journe makes a beautiful watch very low production numbers. However the few people I've met that owned them said they were terribly unreliable and had to undergo frequent repairs, which detracted from the ownership experience.
I've owned and sold two Journes (chronometre souverain, octa calendrier), and both of them required a significant factory overhaul. I like the Journe design as a counterweight to the more stark dials of Lange, but can't imagine ever picking one up again.Quote:
Edited by medtech_expat - 11/16/12 at 7:00ampost #15519 of 4831211/16/12 at 6:38ampost #15520 of 4831211/16/12 at 6:41ampost #15521 of 4831211/16/12 at 6:44am
I came here to say exactly what has already been said
I'm one of those people who chose JLC over BPV--buying the JLC Master Moon 39 over the Blancpain Villeret--for a number of reasons (in no particular order):
1. Case size. My wife did not like the wrist presence on the BPV at all. Said it looked like an "old man watch." I dunno how much a diff 37 to 39mm makes, but there you have it.
2. As andrewgreg said, JLC represents better value, and overall has a better reputation
3. the boldness of the stripped down minimalism on the JLC, won out over the busyness of the BPV (tho I too love the moon on the BPV)
Sidenote: I too dislike the Royal Oak, but the bracelet is beautiful. Dare I say the bracelet is more beautiful than the watch.post #15522 of 4831211/16/12 at 7:05ampost #15523 of 4831211/16/12 at 7:21amQuote:The Rolex website shows a 36mm Air King.Originally Posted by dopey
That was the point of my question. I like the design of the explorer dial, generally, but prefer a smaller size. That is why I was considering an Air King, which is smaller but has a similar dial. And also why I asked about finding a 36mm Explorer
Have I mentioned that I don't need another watch? I think I have.post #15524 of 4831211/16/12 at 7:32ampost #15525 of 4831211/16/12 at 8:21am
Blancpain makes a good quality product, but its hard to say what their niche is, they are largely overshadowed by other companies including its sister company Breguet. For years they made watches that were nice like the 2100 but it had no real impact or presence. Breguet's dress watches are known for their amazing guilloche, they invented the tourbillon, and most watch people know the Type XX. Among major companies (I mean non-independents ) Lange and Patek are largely considered to have the finest finishing, and Patek has better resale and collectability than most watches. Until about 50 years ago VC was considered the top swiss brand, they are credited with pioneering the use of uniformity of parts/machinery in watches, and have tremendous history as the oldest continuously opperating watch company. AP created the genre of luxury sports watches with the Royal Oak, and are known for using unusual matterials in their watches such as tantalum, alacrite, forged carbon, and although I don't care for the Offshores they helped bring forward the trend of larger watches. Then there is JLC, which has lower starting price point, great quality, and is considered a tremendous value. Blancpain makes a great product, but they seem to be in the background of the watch world (sort of like GP) and not really a name or brand that competes directly with Lange, PP, AP, VC, or Breguet...even if they make watches that are in in the same price range of the other brands. I've looked at BPs before, and although they make a good product, I find that there are offerings from other brands that are higher up on my "Must haves" list.Quote:
As for whether Breguet is better than AP, it would depend on what you are comparing. As a general statement, I am not sure I'd agree. As for the RO, its a very polarizing watch. People love it, or hate it. Clearly one can see where you stand. However, saying it looks like a Casio...you start to lose some credibility or you need stronger prescription glasses. If you said it resembled a GP Laureato, Rolex Oysterquartz, IWC SL Jumbo Ingenuire...I'd say yes on some level it does, although the RO was the original and the others followed borrowing various styling elements of the RO. Like it or hate it it created the luxury sports watch market which other companies including PP, VC, GP, IWC, and others have jumped into with their own offering that are similar to the RO.
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Trump is #2 in GOP Field 14 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 15 minutes ago
- › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata 17 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's,... 19 minutes ago
- › Proper Cloth - Official Affiliate Thread 19 minutes ago
- › FRIDAY CHALLENGE: 19 October - 29 October: The Sleaze Challenge 20 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 23 minutes ago
- › Why Hillary will be the next POTUS 26 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 26 minutes ago
- › What are you drinking right now? 31 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...