lange all day. no specific reasons...just aesthetically speaking i fucking love that watch.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 4:22 am in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Yesterday at 4:19 am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 1033post #15481 of 4831211/15/12 at 11:42ampost #15482 of 4831211/15/12 at 11:45am
^ I'd go with the Lange over the VC Patrimony. I own 2 VCs, and they are great watches. However, I find the Patrimony a bit dull looking for a VC, and the Lange's workmanship seems to be a step above most VCs.
As for Parmigiani, I've never really looked at one up close or tried one on. They seem to be nice watches, but I don't have any personal experience with one.
But in the end, its important to try each watch on and see which one really makes you smile. None are bad watches, and at a certain level of quality much of the decision is personal taste.post #15483 of 4831211/15/12 at 11:47amQuote:Quote:Originally Posted by DerekS
currently, the only difference between the 2 is the size and the bracelet. Personally, i wasnt a fan of teh 39mm explorer, because i think it uses the same hands as the 36mm..so they look a little small. I wish the Air King was a 36mm, because id be ALL over that. if it were me, id find a 114720 explorer. perfect watch between those 2 i think. 36mm case, SEL bracelet, upgraded movement from the 14720, and a better bracelet than the air king.Quote:Originally Posted by Dino944
When comparing an Air King and Explorer you have to mention whether you are comparing 2 brand new ones (like the 39mm Ex) or is the Air King you are considering older, ass you also bring up the idea of hunting for an older Explorer. There are changes that took place over the years. I believe some of the older Air Kings, maybe mid to early 80s were not as water resistant as the Explorers of the same time. Also the Explorer movements have been certified chronometers for decades...Air King movments only became certified chronometers recently. In additon the bracelets are different, the Explorer had solid end links (SEL) the Air King didn't, its slightly narrower on Air Kings, and AKs lack the Oysterlock safety latch on the clasp. I owned a 114270 for 10 years and I preferred it to an Air King, due to its size 36 vs 34mm, updated movement that the Air King did not have back until just a few years ago, wider bracelet with SELS, and oyster locking clasp. I always thought the Air King was a bit small at 34mm and with its narrower bracelet...but it might work for you.
I'm not a fan of the dial on the new Explorers or its size. To me the 114270 is the final evolution of the classic Explorer. The new Explorer is fine, just not my taste.
Sold. So now I have my sports and my dress watches selected. Thanks.
. . . and Dino, if I got an Air King, it would be the new one. I would need a specific reason to look at a vintage Rolex and the case size is one of them for the Explorer.post #15484 of 4831211/15/12 at 11:53ampost #15485 of 4831211/15/12 at 11:55ampost #15486 of 4831211/15/12 at 11:55amQuote:
i look forward to seeing your watch purchases here, hopefully soon.post #15487 of 4831211/15/12 at 11:58am
That was the point of my question. I like the design of the explorer dial, generally, but prefer a smaller size. That is why I was considering an Air King, which is smaller but has a similar dial. And also why I asked about finding a 36mm ExplorerQuote:
Have I mentioned that I don't need another watch? I think I have.post #15488 of 4831211/15/12 at 12:06pmpost #15489 of 4831211/15/12 at 12:06pmpost #15490 of 4831211/15/12 at 12:09pm
you have. here, and in person. but you also just said,
"Sold. So now I have my sports and my dress watches selected."Quote:
also this.post #15491 of 4831211/15/12 at 12:22pmQuote:
One more vote for the Patrimony, according to the choices presented. Parmigiani Tonda 1950 looks like a JLC Master Control.
IMHO, the minimalism is executed better by VC, but as others recommend try it on, and I'd make sure to take dinos advice to heart re: finishing
UPDATE: I prefer the caseback on the ALS (and the fact that it is a manual wind), but still prefer the dial on the VC...so...
its a tough callpost #15492 of 4831211/15/12 at 12:29pmpost #15493 of 4831211/15/12 at 12:35pmpost #15494 of 4831211/15/12 at 12:40pmQuote:
see above edit. i am not positive i have the correct backs. but i think the top is the lange saxonia thin, and the bottom is the vc patrimony.
quick research, there are saxonias with rotors and handwinds, the thin, which was listed as the option above, is handwind.post #15495 of 4831211/15/12 at 12:45pm
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 2 seconds ago
- › Crockett & Jones MTO Central 27 seconds ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 1 minute ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 1 minute ago
- › Daily CE Musings of Piob 1 minute ago
- › Official: Superhero, Comic Book, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror, etc...... 2 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL Trump v. Clinton Debate Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's,... 5 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 6 minutes ago
- › BNIB - VASS U Last Oxford Gold Museum - EU 41.5 7 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...