or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 998  

post #14956 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post


Thanks for the info on Stitchy's collection. I didn't know he also has a Reverso.
IWC makes a great product, but I'd definitely take an AP Royal Oak chronograph over a Davinci chronograph. It's not even a close competition.
As for pricing, you may want to do a bit more homework. There are 2 Royal Oak chronographs, the out going 39mm, ref 26300st and the new 41mm 26320st. Which are you trying to price? The one in your photo is the outgoing 39mm (the dials are a bit different on the 39 & 41mm). Unless AP had had a very recent price increase the list price of the 39mm is $22,800 and the list price of the 41mm is $23,900. You may want to verify list prices, so you have an accurate idea of the discount you are actually getting. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Thanks Dino. It has been hard choosing that's for sure coming up in this price range really makes almost all watches look like a beauty. But the dream was AP, AP i'm getting! That I didn't know about the price, will check that out. I'm off to the store very soon, still morning here shog[1].gif

 

I almost couldn't sleep...

post #14957 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

awesome links! drool.gif
would love an ALS someday. for my money, i think they make the most beautifully decorated movements out there.

Yeah, ALS just seem so much more attainable than Patek (well, this is all very relative...), which would probably lead me in that direction. But somehow Patek's designs are just so much more harmonious than ALS. ALS has that Germanic charm, but Patek looks so clean and perfectly proportioned.
post #14958 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post

Yeah, ALS just seem so much more attainable than Patek (well, this is all very relative...), which would probably lead me in that direction. But somehow Patek's designs are just so much more harmonious than ALS. ALS has that Germanic charm, but Patek looks so clean and perfectly proportioned.

Phillipe Dufour has said that ALS finishing is higher quality than PP currently. But I agree that some of their designs are just a bit disproportionate. That being said, if a 1 or a 1815 showed up on my wrist, I would not be complaining.
post #14959 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by akatsuki View Post

Phillipe Dufour has said that ALS finishing is higher quality than PP currently. But I agree that some of their designs are just a bit disproportionate. That being said, if a 1 or a 1815 showed up on my wrist, I would not be complaining.

Absolutely not! And I think I vastly prefer ALS's level of finishing. But somehow Patek makes such proportionately beautiful dials and cases (I think ALS is lacking in their case design, comparatively, especially when one looks at VC), they almost make it look easy.

Not knocking ALS at all, I think they are my favorite brand, and I love their charm. But when one spends so much on a watch, I think it is important to scrutinize every detail.
post #14960 of 48312

Stitchy I bought the AP, at the office now will share few pics when i'm home biggrin.gif

post #14961 of 48312
If you keep it simple, Lange is wonderfully effective. Maybe like Legal Seafood in that respect. The Saxonia (manual or automatic) is my current thought for a real dress gold watch-- not that I need one.
post #14962 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton View Post

Stitchy I bought the AP, at the office now will share few pics when i'm home biggrin.gif


icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif MAZAL TOV!
post #14963 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concordia View Post

If you keep it simple, Lange is wonderfully effective. Maybe like Legal Seafood in that respect. The Saxonia (manual or automatic) is my current thought for a real dress gold watch-- not that I need one.

I keep going back and forth on this - Saxonia or Calatrava 5119J
post #14964 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post

Yeah, ALS just seem so much more attainable than Patek (well, this is all very relative...), which would probably lead me in that direction. But somehow Patek's designs are just so much more harmonious than ALS. ALS has that Germanic charm, but Patek looks so clean and perfectly proportioned.

well, my grail ALS is certainly more attainable than a patek, but at over 100k, i would not exactly call it attainable for me. frown.gif

zeitwerk-striking-dial-1920.jpg
lange-zeitwerk-striking-time-watch-3.jpg


i hear what you are saying. i think though that that lack of "harmony" is intentional on the ALSs, that is their look. anyhow, they are both unbelievable watches, but i were only to own one, id go patek.
post #14965 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton View Post

Thanks Dino. It has been hard choosing that's for sure coming up in this price range really makes almost all watches look like a beauty. But the dream was AP, AP i'm getting! That I didn't know about the price, will check that out. I'm off to the store very soon, still morning here shog%5B1%5D.gif

 

I almost couldn't sleep...

Good luck with the AP shopping.  I should have stated the prices I gave were the last prices I was aware of in the US, as of a few weeks ago.  If you are outside the US, maybe your prices are different. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post


Absolutely not! And I think I vastly prefer ALS's level of finishing. But somehow Patek makes such proportionately beautiful dials and cases (I think ALS is lacking in their case design, comparatively, especially when one looks at VC), they almost make it look easy.
Not knocking ALS at all, I think they are my favorite brand, and I love their charm. But when one spends so much on a watch, I think it is important to scrutinize every detail.

For years, ALS has had a reputation for having a much higher level of finishing than Patek, and still being quite wearable (unlike F.P Journes which have a reputation for poor reliability and constantly being sent for repairs).  Personally, the only ALS that speaks to me is the Lange 1.  To me, it really has a unique dial layout, and was the first brand to use the Grand Date (I know it was developed by JLC).  Also, the case on that was a great size at 38.5mm, large enough to remain current even with the trend for larger watches (although, they have come out with a larger size for those who insist on larger is better).  Its a watch that just looks perfect on the wrist.  Sadly, I've never really warmed up to the 1815, and I love the movement but not the dial on the Datograph.  As for Patek, I find them very hit or miss.  Some of their complicated pieces are really beautiful, but many of their simpler pieces (even some of the lesser complications such as the  annual calendar watches), I find very stodgy and boring when it comes to their designs...and in many circumstances grossly overpriced.   

post #14966 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton View Post

Stitchy I bought the AP, at the office now will share few pics when i'm home biggrin.gif

Congrats Hampton!  Which model did you go with?  Did you figure out a deal using the correct pricing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akatsuki View Post


I keep going back and forth on this - Saxonia or Calatrava 5119J

I'd personally skip ref. 5119.  The lugs on it are too small,  very weak, and easily damaged.  I'd never buy that one.  Our local PP AD showed me one that came back after the owner accidentally hit it against a doorway.  Broke the freakin lug right off!  All they could do is solder it, and it will never be as strong.  I'd only buy a Patek where the lug was an intregral part of the case rather than added on like on a 5119...but thats just my 2 cents.

post #14967 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

I'd personally skip ref. 5119.  The lugs on it are too small,  very weak, and easily damaged.  I'd never buy that one.  Our local PP AD showed me one that came back after the owner accidentally hit it against a doorway.  Broke the freakin lug right off!  All they could do is solder it, and it will never be as strong.  I'd only buy a Patek where the lug was an intregral part of the case rather than added on like on a 5119...but thats just my 2 cents.

but it is a beautifully simple and elegant watch.

also, while some of the simpler models are a bit boring, at least in pictures, in person they are always better, i would be more than happy to have one of these annual calendars.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
patek_image.1680971.jpg
2957-Patek.jpg

sidebar - the ALS watch box with the winder, in one of the links before, was unreal.
post #14968 of 48312

Thank you all for the help. Very happy with it. Get ready to be bored out with this watch in this tread, 24H posting of my baby :)

 

700

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

700

 

700

 

700

 

post #14969 of 48312
bounce2.gif looks wonderful!! bounce2.gif

wear it in good health smile.gif
post #14970 of 48312

Thanks you stitchy and for all your help :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)