Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 3/28/13 at 6:29am in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Today at 2:22 pm in Classic Menswear
- Anyone had a BAD exp with prestigetime.com? Last post on 2/1/16 at 9:53am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 963
Styles mentioned in this thread:
I really like this. Can you please tell me the model number of it?
no reason not to!!
funny story, a dude tried selling us that watch last week. we turned him down. it was fake. to date, best fake i have ever seen. model and serial number behind the band between lugs, and inside the bezel, he had opened it up and it had the red wheels on the movement, and engraved rolex verbage....very legit looking. but fake nonetheless. we got a warning call a few hours later from another place that bought it, and got stuck holding the bag for 2K.
The replicas these days are getting pretty amazing. Years ago serial and model numbers were a good indicator of a replica. These days some sellers of high end replicas allow people to pick the serial #s they would like on the watch. Engravings have gotten better and factories tear apart cases to make a 1:1 replication. AR coatings and lume application can be done for the right price to match the genuine.
Some people create a franken replica using genuine movements and dials. You just have to know the right person... I've seen replicas that are 99% close to the genuine and have fooled many Authorized Dealers. The funny thing is 95% of the people I know who make replicas very close to genuine are doing it to learn more about the watch and frown upon people who try to pass off replicas as the real deal. They are the ones who can spot a fake from a few pictures and quickly warn others. Most of them are the ones who report auctions to eBay... because they can tell the differences and modifications better than anyone else.
rolex is pretty hush hush. patek for example, will send you archived replacement papers for a watch, if you give them certain info, case, ref and movement #s, and even that takes time. rolex doesnt share jack afaik. except maybe turning down a watch for repair after being sent in. but that doesnt help for snap decisions.
there are lists people have made telling you what serial #s are from what years. so if you were a super expert you might see a serial # on a good fake, and know that some specific specs, like bracelet links, or numeral specs... dont match the year the watch purports to be made..... but for the most part, you just need a lot of hands on experience, and need to be able to tell by feel that.
Rolex keeps a list of all stolen Rolex that have been reported to them. They also confiscate watches that come in for service reported stolen. I have heard of people bringing watches to Rolex service centers to verify authenticity before buying.
As for Archive papers at least the ones I've seen were NOT original replacement papers. They were docs that state a particular watch is authentic.
I wouldn't rely on those lists of serial numbers to determine authenticity. I've seen errors in them, and even a former Rolex service center employee and he told me not to rely on lists. He said sometimes cases are made & stamped with a serial, them stored on shelves and they are completed out of sequence
The key thing is familiarity with the brand models and buying from reputable sources.
I don't think I'm unfair to Sinn. I hold them to the same standard I hold all watch
companys to. As we all know there can be varying degrees of finish& quality of ETA movements. Sinn makes handsome watches, but they are largely recased movements. Watches with recased movements have kept me from buying several other watches. ETA makes a solid product but I prefer watches with in house movement or movement from finer makers (F Piguet,JLC etc).
Tudor has recently produced some great looking watches... I wish Rolex would borrow some design features from them on their own watches!
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- › ***....Falcon Garments - Official Affiliate Thread....*** MTM/MTO... 1 minute ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 2 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's... 2 minutes ago
- › shoe construction...behind the veil 3 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 3 minutes ago
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 3 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 3 minutes ago
- › NBA 2015-2016 Season Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 3 minutes ago
- › The Official Carmina Sizing Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › Price list for Vass shoes and boots for 2016
- › Paris: Men's Fashion Week, Part 1
- › Advice on care and maintenance of Alden...
- › Help, the back of the inside of my shoes are...
- › Getting rid of a black spot on Wolverine boots
- › Removing a scratch from a pair of shoes
- › How to fix a scratch in Allen Edmond Park...
- › The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as...
- › The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as...