Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 9:05 am in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on 10/20/16 at 12:03am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 957post #14342 of 483129/30/12 at 4:54ampost #14343 of 483129/30/12 at 5:59ampost #14344 of 483129/30/12 at 10:02ampost #14345 of 483129/30/12 at 10:03amQuote:Quote:
Right - why would you buy one like that? There's plenty of solid grey market dealers selling legit goods.post #14346 of 483129/30/12 at 10:06ampost #14347 of 483129/30/12 at 10:43am
The word is "sold to the grey dealers with a substantial discount by ADs who need to clean up their inventory but don't want to get in trouble with the manufacturers who keep track of serial numbers". Common practice. Never buy though, I agree with that.post #14348 of 483129/30/12 at 11:57amThread Starterpost #14349 of 483129/30/12 at 1:40pmpost #14350 of 483129/30/12 at 2:07pmQuote:
To coin a phrase, precisely. A gray market watch is basically a pre-owned watch as far as warranty goes with many brands.in some cases it may be better to buy used. Omega used to be especially persnickety in this regard.post #14351 of 483129/30/12 at 2:56pmpost #14352 of 483129/30/12 at 4:47pmpost #14353 of 483129/30/12 at 5:14pm
I have personally seen Omegas with serials removed, so it does happen. And it can complicate things for the buyer.
I would suspect that many other (more expensive) brands turn a blind eye to the issue, and so there's no incentive for the gray market dealer to remove the serial in that case.
It may not be an issue with Omega any more since they are aggressively elevating their brand profile and prices.On the other hand, if they are still concerned about this, I would under no circumstances buy a gray market Omega watch. This would be especially true if I were going to buy one of their watches with proprietary movements such as the jumping hour coaxial planet ocean.
Not sure why everyone is getting so huffy about this issue. You guys sound like Reev when he defends buying fakes.
Edited by Hayward - 9/30/12 at 5:37pmpost #14354 of 483129/30/12 at 6:06pmThread StarterI've had multiple Swatch Group watches, including GO and Omega go through repair or service within the warranty period and never once had the slightest issue with the stamped warranty cards or with them honoring their warranty.post #14355 of 483129/30/12 at 6:21pmWell good for you then! Not all experiences are the same, obviously. I guess you didn't buy them at Costco.
I'm sure most of the grey market sellers offer in house warrantys which mirror manufacturer warrantys closely. After that, the manufacturer treats it just like any post warranty watch for service. Not a big deal, except that the fellow who asked about buying used in the first place specifically mentioned he wants an Omega. I would not buy an Omega from a gray market dealer, because Omega appears to be especially sensitive to the issue. whyntake the risk?I would buy a used one first.
In fact, I'm not sure how we got on the gray market track, as it were. Quick, somebody post a picture of puppies.
Edited by Hayward - 9/30/12 at 6:33pm
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Crusty's "What I wore on this Date in History" - a walk down memory... 20 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here 1 minute ago
- › Wearing A Tailored Jacket And Jeans Thread 3 minutes ago
- › TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other... 4 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 6 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's,... 9 minutes ago
- › Need tips on how to restore these Florsheim Shell Longwings 9 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 10 minutes ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread... 11 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...