Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 3/28/13 at 6:29am in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Today at 6:19 pm in Classic Menswear
- Anyone had a BAD exp with prestigetime.com? Last post on 2/1/16 at 9:53am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 957
Styles mentioned in this thread:post #14342 of 483019/30/12 at 4:54ampost #14343 of 483019/30/12 at 5:59ampost #14344 of 483019/30/12 at 10:02ampost #14345 of 483019/30/12 at 10:03amQuote:Quote:
Right - why would you buy one like that? There's plenty of solid grey market dealers selling legit goods.post #14346 of 483019/30/12 at 10:06ampost #14347 of 483019/30/12 at 10:43am
The word is "sold to the grey dealers with a substantial discount by ADs who need to clean up their inventory but don't want to get in trouble with the manufacturers who keep track of serial numbers". Common practice. Never buy though, I agree with that.post #14348 of 483019/30/12 at 11:57amThread Starterpost #14349 of 483019/30/12 at 1:40pmpost #14350 of 483019/30/12 at 2:07pmQuote:
To coin a phrase, precisely. A gray market watch is basically a pre-owned watch as far as warranty goes with many brands.in some cases it may be better to buy used. Omega used to be especially persnickety in this regard.post #14351 of 483019/30/12 at 2:56pmpost #14352 of 483019/30/12 at 4:47pmpost #14353 of 483019/30/12 at 5:14pm
I have personally seen Omegas with serials removed, so it does happen. And it can complicate things for the buyer.
I would suspect that many other (more expensive) brands turn a blind eye to the issue, and so there's no incentive for the gray market dealer to remove the serial in that case.
It may not be an issue with Omega any more since they are aggressively elevating their brand profile and prices.On the other hand, if they are still concerned about this, I would under no circumstances buy a gray market Omega watch. This would be especially true if I were going to buy one of their watches with proprietary movements such as the jumping hour coaxial planet ocean.
Not sure why everyone is getting so huffy about this issue. You guys sound like Reev when he defends buying fakes.
Edited by Hayward - 9/30/12 at 5:37pmpost #14354 of 483019/30/12 at 6:06pmThread Starterpost #14355 of 483019/30/12 at 6:21pmWell good for you then! Not all experiences are the same, obviously. I guess you didn't buy them at Costco.
I'm sure most of the grey market sellers offer in house warrantys which mirror manufacturer warrantys closely. After that, the manufacturer treats it just like any post warranty watch for service. Not a big deal, except that the fellow who asked about buying used in the first place specifically mentioned he wants an Omega. I would not buy an Omega from a gray market dealer, because Omega appears to be especially sensitive to the issue. whyntake the risk?I would buy a used one first.
In fact, I'm not sure how we got on the gray market track, as it were. Quick, somebody post a picture of puppies.
Edited by Hayward - 9/30/12 at 6:33pm
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 1 minute ago
- › Articles of Style shop? 2 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) 10 minutes ago
- › Nigel Cabourn 11 minutes ago
- › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general 11 minutes ago
- › Viberg Boots 11 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 11 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 13 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 19 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 29 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Can I get the toe of my leather shoes...
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?