or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 946  

post #14176 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by atila View Post


This is a shot in the dark, but what the hell...
I saw a Patek with this similar styling a few years ago (before I really became a WIS) in a display at a Torneau... I didn't handle it, simply admired it for a minute.
It looked similar to this in terms of the most basic points - black leather band, white dial, black hands and markers...
The rest I don't remember, but seeing this watch reminded me of that watch, which looked similar to it but perhaps a bit more simple.
Any ideas? I know, I didn't give much detail, but...

Not really a lot of info.  How long ago did you see it? Was it new or pre-owned?  How complicated?  My father previously owned a Patek 5015 in yg.  It had black hands, a white porcelain dial, and subdials for small seconds, moonphase, and power reserve.  I also liked the officer's case with gold hinged back, which could be opened to a saphire display back to show the movement.  It could also have been PAtek 5054 which was almost the same except for different bezel, Roman Numerals, and they added a date around the moonphase.  Those might be two of my best guesses.  Many of Pateks complicated pieces use gold hands rather than black.  There have also been some very basic time only Patek's with hob nail bezels that had black hands and often a hob nail bezel.  Good luck.

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton View Post

Just saw this looks good for a clothing brand.

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 One of the few clothing brands using nice movements is Ralph Lauren.  Many of his watches use JLC movements.  But for what they cost, I'd rather have a JLC watch.

post #14177 of 48312
Just added this beauty to my collection....
photo_zps5c734126.jpg
photocopy_zps04d8d909.jpg

Here's his younger brother on a braided Nato...
photocopy2_zpsca5e61fb.jpg
post #14178 of 48312
buryjajy.jpg

First post in this thread as I've (hopefully) got something worthy of posting from a recent black tie event I went to.

Bought this watch a few months ago for my 21st birthday as its a Rolex Cellini from 1991! Much prefer vintage rolex's to any of the current offerings, just a shame I don't get enough events to get wear it!
post #14179 of 48312
jeta2u6u.jpg


First post in this thread as I've (hopefully) got something worthy of posting from a recent black tie event I went to.

Bought this watch a few months ago for my 21st birthday as its a Rolex Cellini from 1991! Much prefer vintage rolex's to any of the current offerings, just a shame I don't get enough events to get wear it!
post #14180 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keal19 View Post

buryjajy.jpg
First post in this thread as I've (hopefully) got something worthy of posting from a recent black tie event I went to.
Bought this watch a few months ago for my 21st birthday as its a Rolex Cellini from 1991! Much prefer vintage rolex's to any of the current offerings, just a shame I don't get enough events to get wear it!

Nice.
I would get a black band.
post #14181 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton View Post

Just saw this looks good for a clothing brand.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

i like the lugs a lot. pretty good all around. who makes it for them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

 One of the few clothing brands using nice movements is Ralph Lauren.  Many of his watches use JLC movements.  But for what they cost, I'd rather have a JLC watch.

yup, yup and yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keal19 View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
buryjajy.jpg
First post in this thread as I've (hopefully) got something worthy of posting from a recent black tie event I went to.
Bought this watch a few months ago for my 21st birthday as its a Rolex Cellini from 1991! Much prefer vintage rolex's to any of the current offerings, just a shame I don't get enough events to get wear it!

very classy. and you dont need a function to wear it. any day will do, in my book. smile.gif
post #14182 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy View Post

Just added this beauty to my collection....
photo_zps5c734126.jpg
photocopy_zps04d8d909.jpg

 

 Nice find!  Very cool vintage Omega...although I'm not a fan of the strap.  Some of their designs from the 70s are a lot of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keal19 View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

buryjajy.jpg

 


First post in this thread as I've (hopefully) got something worthy of posting from a recent black tie event I went to.
Bought this watch a few months ago for my 21st birthday as its a Rolex Cellini from 1991! Much prefer vintage rolex's to any of the current offerings, just a shame I don't get enough events to get wear it!

 Congrats on your Cellini.  They are often overlooked in favor of their Oyster cased siblings, but they are a nice choice.  Enjoy it and find occasions to wear it to.  Don't just save it for black tie events.

post #14183 of 48312
I do believe that the vintage Dynamics come with that type of strap. It was integral to the design. I think it's very cool. The Cellini is very cool too.
post #14184 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post
i like the lugs a lot. pretty good all around. who makes it for them?

Actually I have no idea, it only says it's made in Switzerland but not by who. Good price if it's a quality watch.

http://www.marianorubinacci.net/eshop/product.php?id=262&lang=2&linea=7

post #14185 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton View Post

Actually I have no idea, it only says it's made in Switzerland but not by who. Good price if it's a quality watch.
http://www.marianorubinacci.net/eshop/product.php?id=262&lang=2&linea=7

that price actually makes me nervous. makes me think it is likely a very mediocre at best watch that is overpriced. frown.gif
post #14186 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post


that price actually makes me nervous. makes me think it is likely a very mediocre at best watch that is overpriced. frown.gif

Really? You think the price is to high?

post #14187 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

that price actually makes me nervous. makes me think it is likely a very mediocre at best watch that is overpriced. frown.gif

it is. movt looks like a very basic unmodfied 7750. however, the rubi description states its a 49 jewel...which i find odd. standard 7750 has 23 jewels, and a rolex sub has 31 jewels. i cant name any watch offhand at the moment with a 49 jewel movement. oh well. if anyone is in love with them, wait a few years and youll see em on ebay for a couple hundred.
post #14188 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keal19 View Post

First post in this thread as I've (hopefully) got something worthy of posting from a recent black tie event I went to.
Bought this watch a few months ago for my 21st birthday as its a Rolex Cellini from 1991! Much prefer vintage rolex's to any of the current offerings, just a shame I don't get enough events to get wear it!

id like to hear your opinion on the cellini....ive been wanting one for awhile but im not realy familiar with the line...nobody in nashville has one for me to man handle.
post #14189 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton View Post

Really? You think the price is to high?

i think that for what movement i imagine is in the watch, it is likely overpriced. but, if one has the cash, and is only concerned with looks, why not? there is far worse out there, for more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post

it is. movt looks like a very basic unmodfied 7750. however, the rubi description states its a 49 jewel...which i find odd. standard 7750 has 23 jewels, and a rolex sub has 31 jewels. i cant name any watch offhand at the moment with a 49 jewel movement. oh well. if anyone is in love with them, wait a few years and youll see em on ebay for a couple hundred.

+1 to the jewel count. i also noticed that and was taken aback. there some langes i think with jewel counts that high, maybe it was GO, but defo german. and some other swiss high multi complication models, but for a watch like that, 49 is very odd.

confused.gif
post #14190 of 48312

When you guys talk about jewel count what do you mean?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)