Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 3/28/13 at 6:29am in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Yesterday at 6:19 pm in Classic Menswear
- Anyone had a BAD exp with prestigetime.com? Last post on 2/1/16 at 9:53am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 862post #12916 of 483048/3/12 at 7:26pm
Styles mentioned in this thread:post #12917 of 483048/3/12 at 8:02pmpost #12918 of 483048/3/12 at 8:06pmpost #12919 of 483048/3/12 at 8:29pmpost #12920 of 483048/3/12 at 8:51pmpost #12921 of 483048/3/12 at 11:39pmpost #12922 of 483048/4/12 at 5:26ampost #12923 of 483048/4/12 at 8:49ampost #12924 of 483048/4/12 at 8:50ampost #12925 of 483048/4/12 at 11:42ampost #12926 of 483048/4/12 at 12:38pmpost #12927 of 483048/4/12 at 8:21pmpost #12928 of 483048/4/12 at 10:25pmQuote:Originally Posted by oisin
anyone with thoughts on a vintage dress watch for $2000 or under (preferably a decent bit under) and where is a good place to shop for such a thing without fear of being ripped off? I'm itching for something dressy I can wear to formal events where my speedmaster isn't appropriate, but it would not make a lot of sense right now for me to pony up for the JLC MUTM 39 or maybe a reverso that I want. Vintage Omegas seem pretty pricey these days (though within my range). I also really love the Universal Geneve watches I keep seeing referenced on Hodinkee (esp. something with a calendar and moonphase). Or something pretty plain in stainless steel or white gold. Another option would be something like a Nomos, but I think I'd prefer something with a bit more ... something. Provenance or horological significance or uniqueness. Other thoughts about what I should be looking out for on timezone or somewhere else?
There is a shop in the french quarter of New Orleans called "Quarter Past Time." My wife and I stopped in last year while we were in south Louisiana for our anniversary. They had a wonderful selection of cleaned, serviced, but not refinished pieces. I had a really good experience, and after the fact the only negative review I could find was that the owner was an . As my anniversary present, my wife bought for me a 1957 Longines which has very quickly become my favorite watch. (Pic below). I won't say how much she payed, but it was well within the budget you're looking for. They also had plenty of vintage Omegas, Hamilton, Heuer (predecessor to Tag Heuer)... pretty much name it in a great variety of price ranges. If you want, I can PM you the phone number and/or email for the owner. I certainly intend to go back.Quote:Originally Posted by oisin
not so much. maybe a vintage hamilton could be cool, though i don't know why i think of them more as tool watch than dress watch. i haven't thought much about longines. there are a lot of gaps in my watch knowledge.
thanks, i haven't looked there at all. and i think you are right about gold. obviously that's just not going to happen given the price gold is these days.
When I was looking at the shop mentioned above, I found myself really gravitating towards the different Longines. There were plenty of Omegas, but they all had that same Omega character. The Longines stood out as elegant and separate. To that end...
p.s. That Raymond Weil Kappelan posted is the sort of small, simple, elegance I've been digging these days. Rock on.post #12929 of 483048/4/12 at 11:27pm
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
Currently, there are 1554 Active Users (396 Members and 1158 Guests)
- › Classic Menswear Lounge 23 seconds ago
- › Massdrop - Official Affiliate Thread 24 seconds ago
- › is it ok to wear short sleeve shirts? 25 seconds ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread... 39 seconds ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 54 seconds ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 1 minute ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 1 minute ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 1 minute ago
- › Crockett & Jones MTO Central 1 minute ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 2 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Can I get the toe of my leather shoes...
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?