or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 835  

post #12511 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by peezie View Post

No, because generally "custom" watches are euphemisms for "customized fakes." Especially from those locales.foo.gif

Probably Bamford, which is based in HK and does a lot of custom Rolex work.
post #12512 of 48312
Or maybe he was talking about Seiko / Bill Yao mods.
post #12513 of 48312
Picked up the 42mm Planet Ocean you guys helped recommend. Like new in box. Also grabbed a like new Seamaster Pro 36mm to give to my sister for Christmas. Better pics coming later.

2a653596.jpg
post #12514 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnguy001 View Post

New one for me:

Would like to see some more shots of the co-ax caseback in the wild...

468

468
post #12515 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by PartagasIV View Post

Picked up the 42mm Planet Ocean you guys helped recommend. Like new in box. Also grabbed a like new Seamaster Pro 36mm to give to my sister for Christmas. Better pics coming later.
2a653596.jpg

Great looking watch and doesn't look too big on you.
Edited by Cant kill da Rooster - 6/26/12 at 3:11pm
post #12516 of 48312
Congrats!!
post #12517 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by centrix View Post

The watch pictured is not a top gun iwc but it is a ceramic iwc nonetheless. I disliked top gun as a
Movie and so I refused to buy the top gun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post

I'm sorry but personally I would not pay thousands of dollars for something which is marketed the same way the secret decoder ring out of a cereal box is, no matter how well made it is. A fine watch should stand on its own and not have to rely on a blatant pop culture connection to be considered a proper product.
Are you guys under the impression that this watch was made in some sort of tribute to the Tom Cruise movie? I assumed, both on what I consider common sense and also on a lack of any marketing using the movie and/or the stars (that I've seen at least), that this watch was made more in connection with the Navy Fighter Weapons School, which of course was the inspiration for the movie (in nickname, logo, etc.). It is no different than having Navy SEALS, PORSCHE Design, etc. on a watch IMO. Am I way off base here? Maybe at some release party there were posters of Val Kilmer everywhere and I'm just nuts.

Crazy rambling aside...

Sorry for the crappy cell phone shot...trying a burgundy strap:

85538c29.jpg

What do you think? That or the OE navy?
post #12518 of 48312
post #12519 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMan View Post

Are you guys under the impression that this watch was made in some sort of tribute to the Tom Cruise movie? I assumed, both on what I consider common sense and also on a lack of any marketing using the movie and/or the stars (that I've seen at least), that this watch was made more in connection with the Navy Fighter Weapons School, which of course was the inspiration for the movie (in nickname, logo, etc.). It is no different than having Navy SEALS, PORSCHE Design, etc. on a watch IMO. Am I way off base here? Maybe at some release party there were posters of Val Kilmer everywhere and I'm just nuts.
Crazy rambling aside...
Sorry for the crappy cell phone shot...trying a burgundy strap:
85538c29.jpg
What do you think? That or the OE navy?

I prefer the brown strap; it compliments the blue hands and numerals well. A good looking watch whichever colour strap you choose.

Is the burgundy one an IWC strap or after market?
Edited by Prince of Paisley - 6/26/12 at 8:14pm
post #12520 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster View Post

I think Navy would work. Check out the Stowa site for an example.
PS beautiful watch.
Thank you! The navy comes on the watch from IWC but it almost looks black:
P1000898-1.jpg

That's a nice Stowa! Good representation of the navy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley View Post

I prefer the brown strap; it compliments the blue hands and numerals well. A good looking watch whichever colour strap you choose.
Is the burgunday one an IWC strap or after market?
That particular strap is an OEM IWC. I ordered it for my 3717 Pilot's Chrono and when it came it was 20mm instead of 21mm so I stuck it on the 3714 and it worked. I've heard great things about IWC replacement straps from "The Watch Boys" though.
post #12521 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMan View Post

I've heard great things about IWC replacement straps from "The Watch Boys" though.

same here. I'm going get a honey and dark brown Alligator for my Port automatic pretty soon.

The Santoni strap that comes with the IWC Portofino 8 day is really amazing. You can order it separately, but the price is really really steep.

L1030214.jpg

_DSC1525.jpg

IWCSantoni2.jpg

500125DragonEdition201216May122.jpg

6336107525_b959e382e5_b.jpg

Looks good on the Lange as well icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

_DSC1725.jpg
Edited by Warren G. - 6/26/12 at 8:12pm
post #12522 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by TauKappaEpsilon View Post

350x380px-LL-aae26ec6_beachsub.jpeg

Nice watch. Not sure about the pose though
post #12523 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post


Nice watch. Not sure about the pose though

What wrong with the pose?  I was sitting on the beach when I took the picture.

post #12524 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren G. View Post

The Santoni strap that comes with the IWC Portofino 8 day is really amazing. You can order it separately, but the price is really really steep.
[snip]
Looks good on the Lange as well icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Good info and GREAT taste in pieces! Nice collection, sir!
post #12525 of 48312
Those Santoni straps are nice!

This is new to me, spectacular piece icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

DSC_3746.jpg
Edited by NonServiam - 6/27/12 at 7:35am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)