or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 822  

post #12316 of 48312

Panerai DNA for me today.

6bf7c992.jpg

post #12317 of 48312

If you haven't, check out the Antiquorum auction site.  There are many fancy pieces, but the low hanging fruit can bear some nice deals.  You have to get a little educated regarding what is too much/little to pay and condition.  You may contact them to discuss condition, they'll send hi-res scans.  Good hunting!

post #12318 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgein View Post

If you haven't, check out the Antiquorum auction site.  There are many fancy pieces, but the low hanging fruit can bear some nice deals.  You have to get a little educated regarding what is too much/little to pay and condition.  You may contact them to discuss condition, they'll send hi-res scans.  Good hunting!

That is a terrible site, why did I have to google it.
post #12319 of 48312

Look at the current auction catalogue.  The rest is noise.

post #12320 of 48312
Irony may have occurred in my post, there's a couple pieces in the current catalogue that I want and knowing myself, I shouldn't look at sites like that, as I will go broke in 5 minutes
post #12321 of 48312

That's the beauty of auctions, you can bid low and if you get it, you stole it.  Otherwise, there's always another bus, watch, car, pair of shoes...

post #12322 of 48312
lotsa SFers seem to hace panerais. cool.
post #12323 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Find Finn View Post

Irony may have occurred in my post, there's a couple pieces in the current catalogue that I want and knowing myself, I shouldn't look at sites like that, as I will go broke in 5 minutes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgein View Post

That's the beauty of auctions, you can bid low and if you get it, you stole it.  Otherwise, there's always another bus, watch, car, pair of shoes...

To help you cool your ardor, here are some problems with Antiquorum/Christie's/etc:

1. Very often there are no movement photos provided - important when it comes to vintage watches. What has been replaced? What is original?
2. Auction descriptions are scanty.
3. ...Or sometimes outright misleading. True story: "Servicing recommended" in the movement description can mean anything from needing regulation to a complete disassembly/clean/oil to the watch movement not actually working (!!!!)
4. And even outright wrong at time - there have been franken Omegas and at least 1 outright fake in the last year.
5. In spite of all the above, prices are often high. Sometimes very high. Mostly because most bidders are unaware of the above and assume Antiquorum = guarantee of quality.
6. And to top it all off, buyer premiums are savage.
Edited by apropos - 6/3/12 at 7:25am
post #12324 of 48312

True that.  The buyer needs to do homework.  They are pretty good, at least they used to be, about giving the buyers more details, hi res scans, movement details, etc.  Best to know what's going on.  Only then should one part with cash.  However, it's much better than Ebay, where there are fakes galore.  They do check the watches and give a recommendation on condition.  I would only buy a III or better.  Thanks for the info!

post #12325 of 48312
e7cbfdd4.jpg

20a9f7a3.jpg
post #12326 of 48312
very nice, can we get a close up, nice and clear? smile.gif
post #12327 of 48312
i saw GDLs famous panerai in person. with an espesso to boot! bigstar[1].gif

also, i saw GDL, that was pretty cool too. wink.gif
post #12328 of 48312
DSC_0120.jpg

The current stable less a Seiko 5 automatic that the woman wears. Crazy how quickly I went from a 1 winder to a 2 winder to a 4 winder and now looks like I may have to go even bigger. Unfortunately, it seems in the world of winders, you don't get a bulk discount!
post #12329 of 48312
Thread Starter 
But why would you keep all these watches on winder? Half of them don't even have a date. confused.gif I don't quite get winders for non-complicated watches.

in stitches, you missed a photo op with your own hommage pic of the PAM + espresso I guess !
post #12330 of 48312
I hate resetting the time every time I rotate watches.

I've also broken both the Panerai and IWC pushing/pulling the crown in, so I'm just wary of doing that every couple of days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

But why would you keep all these watches on winder? Half of them don't even have a date. confused.gif I don't quite get winders for non-complicated watches.
in stitches, you missed a photo op with your own hommage pic of the PAM + espresso I guess !
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)