Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 3:42 am in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Yesterday at 2:23 pm in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 822post #12317 of 483126/2/12 at 1:38pm
If you haven't, check out the Antiquorum auction site. There are many fancy pieces, but the low hanging fruit can bear some nice deals. You have to get a little educated regarding what is too much/little to pay and condition. You may contact them to discuss condition, they'll send hi-res scans. Good hunting!post #12318 of 483126/2/12 at 1:48pmQuote:Originally Posted by Edgein
If you haven't, check out the Antiquorum auction site. There are many fancy pieces, but the low hanging fruit can bear some nice deals. You have to get a little educated regarding what is too much/little to pay and condition. You may contact them to discuss condition, they'll send hi-res scans. Good hunting!
That is a terrible site, why did I have to google it.post #12319 of 483126/2/12 at 2:50pmpost #12320 of 483126/2/12 at 3:06pmpost #12321 of 483126/2/12 at 3:25pmpost #12322 of 483126/2/12 at 8:14pmpost #12323 of 483126/3/12 at 5:42amQuote:Quote:
To help you cool your ardor, here are some problems with Antiquorum/Christie's/etc:
1. Very often there are no movement photos provided - important when it comes to vintage watches. What has been replaced? What is original?
2. Auction descriptions are scanty.
3. ...Or sometimes outright misleading. True story: "Servicing recommended" in the movement description can mean anything from needing regulation to a complete disassembly/clean/oil to the watch movement not actually working (!!!!)
4. And even outright wrong at time - there have been franken Omegas and at least 1 outright fake in the last year.
5. In spite of all the above, prices are often high. Sometimes very high. Mostly because most bidders are unaware of the above and assume Antiquorum = guarantee of quality.
6. And to top it all off, buyer premiums are savage.
Edited by apropos - 6/3/12 at 7:25ampost #12324 of 483126/3/12 at 7:04am
True that. The buyer needs to do homework. They are pretty good, at least they used to be, about giving the buyers more details, hi res scans, movement details, etc. Best to know what's going on. Only then should one part with cash. However, it's much better than Ebay, where there are fakes galore. They do check the watches and give a recommendation on condition. I would only buy a III or better. Thanks for the info!post #12325 of 483126/4/12 at 2:27ampost #12326 of 483126/4/12 at 8:16ampost #12327 of 483126/4/12 at 8:18ampost #12328 of 483126/4/12 at 8:52am
The current stable less a Seiko 5 automatic that the woman wears. Crazy how quickly I went from a 1 winder to a 2 winder to a 4 winder and now looks like I may have to go even bigger. Unfortunately, it seems in the world of winders, you don't get a bulk discount!post #12329 of 483126/4/12 at 9:15amThread StarterBut why would you keep all these watches on winder? Half of them don't even have a date. I don't quite get winders for non-complicated watches.
in stitches, you missed a photo op with your own hommage pic of the PAM + espresso I guess !post #12330 of 483126/4/12 at 9:21amI hate resetting the time every time I rotate watches.
I've also broken both the Panerai and IWC pushing/pulling the crown in, so I'm just wary of doing that every couple of days.
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › What are you drinking right now? 23 seconds ago
- › The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread 31 seconds ago
- › FS: NWT Cantarelli Slim Fit Solid Charcoal Gray Suit, size 46EU /... 46 seconds ago
- › OFFICIAL Trump v. Clinton Debate Thread 1 minute ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 1 minute ago
- › Carmina Black Cap Toe-Rain last 9.5 UK size-lowered price 2 minutes ago
- › Cars We Drive! 2 minutes ago
- › UNIQLO +J PREMIUM DOWN WOOL PARKA BLACK BRAND NEW WITH TAGS 8 minutes ago
- › The Home Ownership Thread 9 minutes ago
- › ***THE OFFICIAL Los Angeles Chat Thread*** 9 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...