Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part Three Last post on Today at 8:27 am in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 3/28/13 at 6:29am in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Today at 3:11 am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 752post #11266 of 483133/29/12 at 7:25pm
Styles mentioned in this thread:post #11267 of 483133/29/12 at 7:36pmQuote:Originally Posted by Cylon
Newcomer is fond of saying its the best moonphase in that price range. I certainly think so, but it really IS hard to beat its elegance from a $$$ standpoint. Sure PP, ALS have killer dress watches w complications, but they cost so much more--and thanks again Newcomer for your fine compliments (though he has threatened me w violence for it)
First, I definitely do agree with your first statement, I do think it is the best moonphase in that price range--with the GO PML and the BP Villeret Moonphase rounding out my top three in the 10K range. And the threats of violence still standpost #11268 of 483133/29/12 at 9:02pmpost #11269 of 483133/30/12 at 1:44ampost #11270 of 483133/30/12 at 4:58ampost #11271 of 483133/30/12 at 7:50amQuote:
I don't doubt it; few C-shapes have dauphine hands either, though it's unclear whether that was a post-production swap or something Omega did late in the run of this watch. I suspect the man I bought it from (or the man he bought it from) was not a serious collector and modified it as he saw fit. Nevertheless, I think it's a good-looking watch and I enjoy wearing it.post #11272 of 483133/30/12 at 8:13ampost #11273 of 483133/30/12 at 2:26pmQuote:Originally Posted by Cylon
Thanks a lot for your kind words everybody. Best thing to wake up to
The official title is JLC Master Ultra Thin Moon 39. Still a bit hard to find at an AD (at least here in the US) I am sure you will get better luck in Singapore HK etc.
As oisin says I have a few pics in my gallery, but I will fiddle around with my camera this weekend. I'm not much of a photographer but I will do my best. Anything in particular you're looking for bhall41?
I've had it for 5 months now. It's a very elegant understated timepiece, but I'm sure the pics show that. Only 2 people have ever asked me about it. One, my cousin who is interested in watches; and two, a coworker who used to sit near me in our old building and saw watches on my screen all day--"oh is that what you finally decided on?" Otherwise it flies completely under the radar. if you want a watch that really stands out, then this is not the watch for you.
I was looking for just such a timeless/elegant piece to fit the bill as it was for my wedding (sorry for sounding like a broken record I think I've said most of this before), but I've also come to learn its "limitations". Not sporty and not really an every day watch (imo). Should be worn with a suit. Others say that your watch strap doesnt need to match your shoes, but it does bug me. So "brown" days, it sits in the drawer. In time, as my collection grows I'd like to reserve it for more special occasions. But at the same time, I've never regretted my decision to purchase it for the sake of another timepiece. Newcomer is fond of saying its the best moonphase in that price range. I certainly think so, but it really IS hard to beat its elegance from a $$$ standpoint. Sure PP, ALS have killer dress watches w complications, but they cost so much more--and thanks again Newcomer for your fine compliments (though he has threatened me w violence for it)
bhall41, your new zenith would be a perfect partner to it!
the speedy pro on the bund strap above is also awesome!
have you ever thought about putting a brown croco strap on it? I think it would look awesome. I was actually disappointed it comes with a black strap. But I wear brown much much more than black. I agree, strap should match(ish) shoes/belts. Interesting you find it a more suit watch. I certainly wouldn't call it sporty, but it seems like it would have some versatility (like it could work for business casual+).post #11274 of 483133/31/12 at 5:00am
Quote:Originally Posted by bhall41
Yes I agree that my El Primero (when it eventually arives) would pair with the JLC MUT Moon very nicely! I note your experience of your JLC being very much a dress watch, to be worn with a suit. That might be relevant to my next purchasing decision, as I also have the GO Panomatic Lunar in my sights. I wonder whether the the GO is a little bit more versatile than the JLC? Anyhow, I am mainly thinking aloud at this stage - probably won't make a purchasing decision for at least another 12 monthths.
Do you have any more wrist shots of your JLC? How big is your wrist?
Also really loving the Tudor Black Bay. Might have to purchase one of those in the future.
Quote:Originally Posted by Cuttingboard
Cylon - Did you find the Master Ultra Thin Moon at an AD in Tysons? I thought I was the only one who matched my watch band with my belt and shoes!! My office just went business casual so I'm trying to decide whether I want to buy a sportier watch or not? I still wear a sport coat sans tie when the temp is 60 degrees or below.
Quote:Originally Posted by oisin
have you ever thought about putting a brown croco strap on it? I think it would look awesome. I was actually disappointed it comes with a black strap. But I wear brown much much more than black. I agree, strap should match(ish) shoes/belts. Interesting you find it a more suit watch. I certainly wouldn't call it sporty, but it seems like it would have some versatility (like it could work for business casual+).
bhall41: I'm thinking the El Primero can handle mid cognac, burgundy, dark brown (which I think is stock right?) really well plus all sorts of NATO, Bund, Raptor, Azodi etc fun straps to boot. The JLC MUT can handle black (stock), grey, navy. That's a really great range to cover with just 2 watches. You are really only missing a light honey brown. I remember gdl recommended a honey brown with the MUT, and oisin just now w brown (im assuming dark). I'll tell you my wife got me a midbrown/cognac strap for my bday and I returned it because I wasn't 100% about it--the black just looked better. I'm still thinking a dark brown would look good too, just havent gotten around to it.
As for the business casual question oisin raised, it may just come down to personal preference. I'd (want to) play around with a chunkier watch for business casual (GO senator observer/pano? ) but I don't know why. I think it may have to do with the "ultra thinness" of the case coupled with the minimalism of the dial that lends itself to a really refined look. Could just be me though. I won't lie, I wear it with casual clothes but I still stand by what I say.
Cuttingboard: I did! I was actually about to pull the trigger on the GO senator at Finks in Tyson's 1, went over to Tysons 2 on a whim and there it was at Lillequist & Beckstead. In the store for 3 days. Bought it on the spot after a bit of a haggle of course If your office is going business casual..JLC Master series is still a good choice, but if youre looking for some pure scalability then you cant beat the submarinerpost #11275 of 483134/1/12 at 5:53ampost #11276 of 483134/1/12 at 2:50pmQuote:Originally Posted by dukerules
Just wanted to introduce myself. I've been lurking for years, but finally decided to register, and maybe post a bit. I'm a big watch guy, but also enjoy my denim, shell cordovan, boots and such.
I'll start off with one of my favorites, and a workhorse in my collection:
Sup bropost #11277 of 483134/1/12 at 2:55pmpost #11278 of 483134/1/12 at 3:21pmpost #11279 of 483134/1/12 at 4:15pm
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › NBA 2015-2016 Season Thread 6 seconds ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 46 seconds ago
- › St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › Cars We Drive! 1 minute ago
- › Official: Superhero, Comic Book, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror, etc...... 2 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 2 minutes ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 2 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 3 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 3 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › What products do I use and how to I care for...
- › Exclusive Indochino Sale! 2 Suits for 800$...
- › Can I get the toe of my leather shoes...
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.