or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 725  

post #10861 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

It looks much better than the one in Pulp Fiction. But I see what you mean.
Moo, that's truly a great vintage watch. Dial is simply perfect

well yes you're right... it's more the vintage aspect, without strap and he carried it in WWII so that was enough to make the association (for me at least happy.gif). Since we're on this topic though, I do have a vintage chrono from the late '40's that was my grandfather's by a company called Olympic. I don't know if it was a precursor of the shit-crap watches I see today called "Olympic" but I have been unable to find even a scrap of info about these watches and my local guy is no help either. Anyone?
post #10862 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Nickels View Post

well yes you're right... it's more the vintage aspect, without strap and he carried it in WWII so that was enough to make the association (for me at least happy.gif). Since we're on this topic though, I do have a vintage chrono from the late '40's that was my grandfather's by a company called Olympic. I don't know if it was a precursor of the shit-crap watches I see today called "Olympic" but I have been unable to find even a scrap of info about these watches and my local guy is no help either. Anyone?

sorry kid, no idea. pic?
post #10863 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon View Post

You have some interesting taste in watches my friend. First a radioactive green strap gold panerai, and now this.


This is the defy xtreme I really like. Steel/titanium, stunning sports watch.

96-0525-4021-21-R642-_21582-002.jpg

Tried on a used but mint one recently, at 46.5mm case was just too big otherwise would have bought it.

Another pic of it:

ze12048-defy-box.jpg

Is this also considered offensive like the last Panerai I posted a pic of?
post #10864 of 48312
Thread Starter 
Well it looks pretty robust, that's for sure.
post #10865 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Donaldson View Post

This is the defy xtreme I really like. Steel/titanium, stunning sports watch. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
96-0525-4021-21-R642-_21582-002.jpg
Tried on a used but mint one recently, at 46.5mm case was just too big otherwise would have bought it.
Another pic of it: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
ze12048-defy-box.jpg
Is this also considered offensive like the last Panerai I posted a pic of?

not my thing design wise, but with the appropriate gear, i see how it could be cool.
post #10866 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Donaldson View Post


Tried on a used but mint one recently, at 46.5mm case was just too big otherwise would have bought it.

imo you'd be thankful years from now you passed on that watch.
post #10867 of 48312
Possible yes, as it's not a watch that can be worn with everything or is to everyone's tastes. It was 50%+ off retail price, for a mint watch that had obviously hardly been warn.

It's similar to certain Franck Muller watches in that in photos it looks a bit over the top but in the flesh really looks stunning.

I think for me 40mm-42mm is the correct size watch.
post #10868 of 48312

Well, that one certainly isn't as bad as some others that came up when I GIS'd it.

 

I do agree with you about watch size...I'd even drop it down to 39 to 42 is really the sweet spot for me too

 

Offensive? Well I dunno if thats the right word...but what about the issue of versatility? Would you want something you could wear with a lot of different things or does that not bother you?

 

The zenith that really gets my mojo going is the new striking tenth that we had the pleasure of seeing quite recently right here!

post #10869 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

Forum groupthink?
Not in my thread !!
the_soup_nazi0041.jpg

Love that guy - fistbump.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Nickels View Post

Moo that is a cool vintage piece... and some of my favorite pieces are those I got from my grandfather as well. Great vintage and a great story behind it but (please don't take offense here...) am I the only one who is reminded of the "watch scene" in Pulp Fiction with Christopher Walken? It even kinda looks like that watch. lol8[1].gif

Nope; you're not alone, although Walken's character's 'only' went back to his dad. Regardless, pretty great history Moo, which makes that watch all the more special.
post #10870 of 48312

sorry had to post... I've seen it countless times but oh well.... lol8[1].gif
post #10871 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Donaldson View Post

Possible yes, as it's not a watch that can be worn with everything or is to everyone's tastes. It was 50%+ off retail price, for a mint watch that had obviously hardly been warn.
It's similar to certain Franck Muller watches in that in photos it looks a bit over the top but in the flesh really looks stunning.
I think for me 40mm-42mm is the correct size watch.

Yes, that one should come with a warning for sure! biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshap View Post

I see no reasons to have a problem with the spacer. A larger case is necessary to make the 1/10 second display legible IMO. As for the 38mm, just buy a vintage A386.

Uh, it's a striking 10th, the 1/10 markings are not on a subdial. confused.gif

And as for a vintage A386... well, good luck finding a non-franken vintage A386 in good condition (a high beat vintage...) for a reasonable price. Remember that unlike vintage Omegas/Rolexes, there isn't a relatively abundant supply of parts out there should something go wrong.

262

(comparo of the new & old 38mms)
Edited by apropos - 2/25/12 at 3:34am
post #10872 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

Moo, that's truly a great vintage watch. Dial is simply perfect

cheers.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Nickels View Post

sorry had to post... I've seen it countless times but oh well.... lol8[1].gif

I lol'd.
post #10873 of 48312

i'm new here & this is my first post. i can't think of a better reason for that = can someone help me by identifying this particular hamilton

and, possibly, where i can source it. i think i need it.

 

1f6b21eb_HammyMoon_1.jpg    thanks

 

 

post #10874 of 48312

I may be wrong, but didn't Rolex use Zenith movements on their Daytona's until the last few years when they switched to their in house movement.  So, there should be a good supply of parts for those chronos.

post #10875 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgein View Post

I may be wrong, but didn't Rolex use Zenith movements on their Daytona's until the last few years when they switched to their in house movement.  So, there should be a good supply of parts for those chronos.

Sort of, but they used Valjoux 72 based movements before that, and the Zenith Daytonas are sought after in their own right, arguably more so than the early Zeniths so it would be odd to cannibalise a Daytona for a Zenith in that sense. Also, cal.400s are significantly modified 3019s, so many parts are not drop in replacements, and some parts needed for the Zenith are absent in the Rolex/Zenith movements. Unlike Omega SA, Rolex SA has good control over NOS parts, and if a Rolex watch is old enough it is simply not supported anymore by them. I imagine it would be a nightmare cross referencing part numbers from the Rolex and Zenith parts catalogues.

I was referring more to more mundane cosmetic bits/bobs, like hands, dials, crown pushers, crowns, etc. And even with respect to spare internal parts there is no repository for Zenith parts that is easily accessible like the ones for vintage Rolex (of which the Zenith Daytonas are a small fraction) or Omega.
Edited by apropos - 2/25/12 at 5:16pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)