or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 717  

post #10741 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

IMG00584-20120219-1227.jpg

if i may, how many watches are currently in your collection?
Quote:
Originally Posted by akatsuki View Post

So what about the VC Quai de L'ile? I like the sapphire backing but wish it was available with Roman numerals... Also, they should have figured out how to have the non-active numbers for dates be a bit more faded out... But overall an intriguing design.
350

its interesting. isnt it optionable, like MTM/bespoke for a watch? i recall reading about it in watchtime not too long ago.
post #10742 of 48312
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

if i may, how many watches are currently in your collection?

I honestly don't know. The most meaningful ones have been posted in this thread in the last 5 years. Haven't sold any of the ones here - gave one to a friend but otherwise, that's most of my collection.
post #10743 of 48312
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo View Post

14805018.jpg

nice Dawg!! lol8[1].gif
post #10744 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

I honestly don't know. The most meaningful ones have been posted in this thread in the last 5 years. Haven't sold any of the ones here - gave one to a friend but otherwise, that's most of my collection.

cool. looks like i have some back reading to do, lol.
post #10745 of 48312

love this sub gdl!

post #10746 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

It's a Sinn 142 ST, a pretty old and classic Sinn model - "first automatic chronograph in space". B&R used to simply brand existing Sinn models when they started. Progressively they started to get some exclusive models made, and eventually only have their own designs now.

Hi gdl,

 

yea, I knew it was maybe Space One (I know they had at least 2 different space watches).  One of my friends bought a B&R chronograph on a ss bracelet, back when as you mentioned they branded Sinn watches.  It was a really handsome watch.  Hate to say it, but the newer B&Rs just don't do anything for me.
 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

IMG00584-20120219-1227.jpg


Always nice to see a vintage Sub.  Once they develop that patina and the luminous markings turn cream color it just adds to its beauty. 



Quote:
Originally Posted by akatsuki View Post

So what about the VC Quai de L'ile? I like the sapphire backing but wish it was available with Roman numerals... Also, they should have figured out how to have the non-active numbers for dates be a bit more faded out... But overall an intriguing design.
350


Sorry, but its one  VC I just don't care for.  An acquaintance bought one in titanium.  I it too busy and lacking in the traditional beauty I've come to expect from VC. I know in some ways its innovative, and a step toward attracting new buyers, but I don't like the watch at all.  It reminds me of an Accutron Space View, but at a significantly higher cost.  I'd much rather have their Historique American 1921.
 

 

post #10747 of 48312
Yeah. I keep going back and forth on the Quai.
post #10748 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by akatsuki View Post

Yeah. I keep going back and forth on the Quai.


You should see it in person and then make a decision.  For me seeing it in person I found I liked it even less than I did based on photos.  Its a new direction for VC, either you will like it or you won't.  VC has been one of my favorite brands for years (I own 2 of them), but this design is definitely not for me.  Maybe trying it on will help you see determine whether its a good choice for you.
 

 

post #10749 of 48312



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikod View Post

15 year old Yatchmaster
_IGP9612.jpg
_IGP9624.jpg


The blue dial is my favorite version of the Yachty.  Look like it gets plenty of use and enjoyment.
 

 

post #10750 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post



You should see it in person and then make a decision.  For me seeing it in person I found I liked it even less than I did based on photos.  Its a new direction for VC, either you will like it or you won't.  VC has been one of my favorite brands for years (I own 2 of them), but this design is definitely not for me.  Maybe trying it on will help you see determine whether its a good choice for you.

 

Yeah, I will have to do that.

I guess to get some context, do you not like skeletonized watches, or partially done ones? I am thinking of Armin Strom for example:
480
post #10751 of 48312

I did like some of Maurice Lacroix's Masterpiece skeletons awhile back...I really don't know whats going on with the brand now after being sold to some other conglomerate--makes me stay away.

 

I have mentioned before that I do like Vulcains skeletons as well, but there too dont know what to make of the brand at this point in time.

 

For example:

 

mp7128-ss001-000.jpg

 

that, frankly, rocks my socks.

post #10752 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

IMG00584-20120219-1227.jpg




Very nice. Is it the lighting or is that a gilt dial?
post #10753 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshap View Post

Very nice. Is it the lighting or is that a gilt dial?

lighting.
gilt would be meter first and the text would be in gold.
post #10754 of 48312



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by akatsuki View Post


Yeah, I will have to do that.
I guess to get some context, do you not like skeletonized watches, or partially done ones? I am thinking of Armin Strom for example:
480


I actually like skeletonized watches a lot.  Its a rather underappreciated area of watch making, and in the past VC has done some exceptional skeletonized pieces.  This can often be seen in the 2nd hand market where skeletonized VCs, APs, and Pateks often sell for a fraction of their original prices.  I think at some point I might like to pick up a vintage VC skeleton watch as they are quite a bargain relative to their original prices.

 

As for Armin Strom, its a nice watch.  My concern with buying his pieces or that of other smaller less well known companies is that if you tire of the watch and you want to sell or trade it, you could lose a lot of $ and have trouble getting anyone to buy or take it in trade for a reasonable amount.  AP, VC, Patek, and other better known companies have a larger following and will generally retain more of their value.  I'm not suggesting those are the only brands to consider, nor am I saying Armin Strong doesn't make a good watch.  I'm simply playing devils advocate and suggesting if you are someone that trades or sells watches frequently you may be better off considering a more mainstream brand name. 
 

 

post #10755 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post




 


I actually like skeletonized watches a lot.  Its a rather underappreciated area of watch making, and in the past VC has done some exceptional skeletonized pieces.  This can often be seen in the 2nd hand market where skeletonized VCs, APs, and Pateks often sell for a fraction of their original prices.  I think at some point I might like to pick up a vintage VC skeleton watch as they are quite a bargain relative to their original prices.

As for Armin Strom, its a nice watch.  My concern with buying his pieces or that of other smaller less well known companies is that if you tire of the watch and you want to sell or trade it, you could lose a lot of $ and have trouble getting anyone to buy or take it in trade for a reasonable amount.  AP, VC, Patek, and other better known companies have a larger following and will generally retain more of their value.  I'm not suggesting those are the only brands to consider, nor am I saying Armin Strong doesn't make a good watch.  I'm simply playing devils advocate and suggesting if you are someone that trades or sells watches frequently you may be better off considering a more mainstream brand name. 

 

I always say I am going to flip watches, but in the end they just end up sitting in a drawer or being passed on to relatives, etc.

For example, I have been looking at dress watches for what feels like a year now, and still haven't found one that I like as much as this RL right now:
357

and so I keep going back and forth since the brand name is meaningless. Do I get a Lange 1815 or Richard Lange? Maybe a VC Patrimony or the Quai... Hell, maybe a JLC Chrono or Master Tourb. But realistically I just like the RL more, so I am sitting there deciding whether to pull the trigger on a watch that will probably be worth half what I paid for it, and one that I probably won't be able to find used ever since I can't imagine they are selling that well.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)