or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 715  

post #10711 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidboy View Post


I'd tend to agree, but somehow (and I know its gimmicky as shit and all) the new miramar chrono pilot watch has caught my attention
269


 

I prefer the classic colors, gimmicky watches get old really quickly and reselling them is a bad financial move.  

post #10712 of 48312
.
Edited by rikod - 6/6/12 at 6:50pm
post #10713 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandboi8204 View Post


The seller has indicated that it is the original black matte dial with old-style hour markers, but the lume is something I'm definitely considering. I wonder how much I'll miss it as my every day watch. I currently have a Date that doesn't have much lume, so maybe it will be fine... Aesthetically, the 16800 face looks a bit more crowded to me than the 16610. How do you feel about the looks of each respective watch? Also, what's the lifetime on the 16610 lume? 15 years?


The lume on a 16800 is is tritium.  It was a radioactive material (small enough quanitity that its safe) and as it degrades over time it doesn't glow at night.  However, on a vintage diving watch it develops an attactive patina as the markers and hands turn a nice cream color.  You do not want to have the dial or hands replaced or re-lumed as it devalues the watch.  It would not bother me to have a classic vintage watch that isn't luminous at night.  I think the dial with its larger hour markers has a slighly sportier look than the 16610.  The 16610, at least by around the year 2000 would have switched from tritium to some form of luminova.  As luminova isn't radioactive and does not degrade, I don't think it loses its luminosity.  It actually recharges as exposed to light. The main complaint when Rolex initially switched was that the luminova only lasted maybe 5-7 hours and then didn't seem very bright.  Many people missed tritium because it seemed so much brighter at least when new.
 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by lbtemple View Post

Today's watch:

 

IMG_0192.jpg


A very handsome watch.  Its one of the few IWCs that I really like.  I'm tired of their pilot watches. 
 

 

post #10714 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttingboard View Post

I was looking at the new spitfire chrono but I can't get past the hideousness that's the triple date window!!

+1.. can anyone explain the logic (if there is any) behind this design feature?
post #10715 of 48312
14805018.jpg
post #10716 of 48312



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo View Post

14805018.jpg


 +1

 

Yes, that about as logical as a date window with 3 dates can get.  I don't care for the look at all !!!  All I can say is I really don't like the direction IWC has gone with its Pilots watches.  About 10-15 years ago I wanted one.  Now, there isn't a Pilot watch in their collection that is of any interest to me. 

post #10717 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post



 



 +1

 

Yes, that about as logical as a date window with 3 dates can get.  I don't care for the look at all !!!  All I can say is I really don't like the direction IWC has gone with its Pilots watches.  About 10-15 years ago I wanted one.  Now, there isn't a Pilot watch in their collection that is of any interest to me. 


That's the reason I am keeping mine:

 

IMG_0166.jpg

 

post #10718 of 48312

An offbeat question - anyone know of a good way to resell some lesser-known German brands? I have a Dornblueth and a Thomas Ninchritz that I would like to get rid off, but none of the watch dealers that I have spoken with have any appreciation for these brands.

 

TimeZone remains an option, but everyone suspects a new member selling an expensive watch to be a scammer. Any other options?

post #10719 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbtemple View Post


That's the reason I am keeping mine:

 

IMG_0166.jpg

 


That is n-i-c-e. Is that a 38mm?
 

 

post #10720 of 48312
Thread Starter 
IMG00573-20120218-1345.jpg
post #10721 of 48312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley View Post


That is n-i-c-e. Is that a 38mm?
 

 

 

It is 42mm.

post #10722 of 48312

Eustace - What Dornblueth are you selling?

post #10723 of 48312
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley View Post

An offbeat question - anyone know of a good way to resell some lesser-known German brands? I have a Dornblueth and a Thomas Ninchritz that I would like to get rid off, but none of the watch dealers that I have spoken with have any appreciation for these brands.

TimeZone remains an option, but everyone suspects a new member selling an expensive watch to be a scammer. Any other options?

TZ or watchprosite - prepare some references of people (hopefully regulars on TZ, WN or thePurists) who have dealt with you. You can always offer an in-person transaction in NYC for those who are concerned. Last solution is to have someone (a friend) who is long-time member of these sites sell it on your behalf.
post #10724 of 48312
.
Edited by rikod - 6/6/12 at 6:57pm
post #10725 of 48312
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikod View Post

10 year old Pam 74 Chronograph w Zenith El Primero Movement
_IGP9558-1.jpg
_IGP9543-1.jpg


That's a great watch!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)