Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger... Last post on Today at 7:35 am in Classic Menswear
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 7/18/16 at 4:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Yesterday at 8:47 pm in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 675post #10111 of 483121/25/12 at 12:26pmLast night my wife and I were sitting on the couch and she asks me, "Is Invicta a good watch?" I asked her why and she indicated that they are on sale on Gilt or Rue La La for $200 and wanted to know why they were so expensive. I then realized that she will not be going with me when I puchase my JLC. On the other hand, she didn't mind that I bought her a cashmere/black fox cape for Christmas this year.post #10112 of 483121/25/12 at 12:47pmThread Starterpost #10113 of 483121/25/12 at 12:50pmpost #10114 of 483121/25/12 at 12:51pm
What watch is this? I cant post a picture since im new, so heres the link.post #10115 of 483121/25/12 at 1:01pm
A few quick photos of another Cartier I have, a Pasha 950 Chronograph. It is part of a limited series of 500 pieces. The case is stainless steel, the bezel is platinum, and unlike most Pasha's it has a dark dial. The movement is based on an F.Piguet 1185, the same base movement used in VC's Overseas Chronograph, AP's Royal Oak 40 mm Chronograph.
Edited by Dino944 - 1/25/12 at 1:12pmpost #10116 of 483121/25/12 at 1:41pmpost #10117 of 483121/25/12 at 2:40pmQuote:Originally Posted by Cylon
Edit: Actually, don't think its accurate to state women prefer quartz to mechanical, but rather women don't see much of a reason to pay a premium for a mechanical timepiece (though there are exceptions). At the end of the day, its one form of jewelery or another, so they could pour that difference into some pearls, sapphire earrings, diamond tennis bracelet, etc. We men, all we have is watches so we tend to be a bit more demanding.
I always thought it was because women's watches are smaller and they can't make automatics that small.post #10118 of 483121/25/12 at 2:44pmMy new Longines La Grande Classique Presence. Swapped the shiny crocodile embossed band with the slightly heftier matte alligator embossed band. It fits because the case isn't ultra thin (which is one reason I bought it, it can be dressed up, but looks fine dressed down). Not the clearest photo, but good enough to get a feel for it...
Edited by sf_esq - 1/25/12 at 5:24pmpost #10119 of 483121/25/12 at 2:46pmQuote:Originally Posted by Cylon
Great idea on the birth year!
I have tried the Speedmaster on, yes. I thought it would be too big for my tastes, but I liked it a lot. Those signature inwardly curving lugs are really nice on the wrist. As with the sub, I havent decided if I want to go for hesalite/sapphire crystal. I even got a chance to try the new Co-axial Chrono Speedmaster the other week. It's beautiful. I like the cleanliness of the 2-register dial, the ingenuity of still having the functionality of a 3-register one to boot, and the date window. What I wasn't so crazy about was the case height--16mm. The rotor was cool to look at but seemed clunky to me--don't know why that's the case but it just did.
Haven't tried the explorer yet, but I have tried the Zenith Striking Tenth. Not sure if I can pull off those lugs. Might go back to try it on if its still at my local AD. What's really interesting to me is the fact that I usually HATE the date window at 4oclock (re: the new Zenith El Primero 38mm), but for some reason I actually like it on this watch.
I really like the new Omega. But I find them way too much thick for me now. Like the new PO chronograph is a really nice hefty piece. But its like I'm wearing a hockey puck on my wrist. Some people are really against the new Explorer. But the new size is perfect and the new bracelet is pretty neat. But hey good luck on w/e you decide on. Most AD down here still have the old Exp to compare it to.post #10120 of 483121/25/12 at 3:09pmQuote:Originally Posted by Warren G.
I really like the new Omega. But I find them way too much thick for me now. Like the new PO chronograph is a really nice hefty piece. But its like I'm wearing a hockey puck on my wrist. Some people are really against the new Explorer. But the new size is perfect and the new bracelet is pretty neat. But hey good luck on w/e you decide on. Most AD down here still have the old Exp to compare it to.
+100 on the new Omega models. Even the smaller Planet Ocean is gigantic. I do like the 38.5mm Aquaterra though...post #10121 of 483121/25/12 at 3:39pmpost #10122 of 483121/25/12 at 5:08pmQuote:Originally Posted by Cuttingboard
Last night my wife and I were sitting on the couch and she asks me, "Is Invicta a good watch?" I asked her why and she indicated that they are on sale on Gilt or Rue La La for $200 and wanted to know why they were so expensive. I then realized that she will not be going with me when I puchase my JLC. On the other hand, she didn't mind that I bought her a cashmere/black fox cape for Christmas this year.
Maybe she was looking at this one: http://stores.nextag.com/store/4908844/product/974503474/Stainless-Steel-Pro-Diverpost #10123 of 483121/25/12 at 5:15pmpost #10124 of 483121/25/12 at 5:23pm
Smaller case sizes can definitely be a limiting factor in terms of using an automatic movement in a ladies watch. Although, there have been a few ladies watches that are automatics such as the Rolex ladies Datejust, a ladies IWC Pilot watch that was made in the 1990s, and I believe there have been a Blancpain or two that were automatics. Patek, GO, JLC, Cartier and a few others have offered a handful of manual wind ladies watches although most of their ladies selections are quartz. The bulk of ladies watches are quartz both as a result of case size and the fact that most women probably do not want to be bothered winding a watch everyday, and as others suggested the movement doesn't matter as much to most women as it does to men (although my wife is the exception and won't consider a quartz watch).post #10125 of 483121/25/12 at 5:27pmQuote:Originally Posted by sf_esq
My new Longines La Grande Classique Presence. Swapped the shiny crocodile embossed band with the slightly heftier matte alligator embossed band. It fits because the case isn't ultra thin (which is one reason I bought it, it can be dressed up, but looks fine dressed down). Not the clearest photo, but good enough to get a feel for it...
Congrats on your new watch. Nice clean looking dial. Enjoy it and wear it in good health!
This thread is locked
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Fantasy Football 2016 sign up! Ends 8/21 24 seconds ago
- › things that are making you happy 55 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 6 minutes ago
- › FREEMANS SPORTING CLUB - OFFICIAL AFFILIATE THREAD 6 minutes ago
- › Crockett & Jones MTO Central 6 minutes ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 8 minutes ago
- › NFL 2016-17 Thread 9 minutes ago
- › John Lobb Barrow Boot 9.5 UK 11 minutes ago
- › Viberg Boots 15 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 18 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding