Recent Images In This Thread
- brandCartiertagged by Murlsquirl, 2/28/15
- itemIWC Portuguese Automatic Steel Blue Mens Watch IW500107tagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryJewelry Watchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
- brandLeatherfoottagged by GauchoSF, 7/29/13
- itemNEVER WORN ROLEX SUBMARINER MENS WATCH 116619LBtagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandRolextagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryWatchestagged by SYSTEM, 7/15/11
Related Forum Threads
- Top 5 sports watches under $1000 - a contest! Last post on 10/31/14 at 10:51am in Classic Menswear
- Men's watch at the $5K mark? Last post on 4/5/14 at 6:55pm in Classic Menswear
- Sub-$150 daily beater watch Last post on 3/28/13 at 6:29am in Classic Menswear
- Poor man's watch thread Last post on Yesterday at 7:51 pm in Classic Menswear
- Anyone had a BAD exp with prestigetime.com? Last post on 2/1/16 at 9:53am in Classic Menswear
The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as Voted by Styleforum!
Last edited: 2/2/16
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?Last edited: Yesterday
- The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as voted by Styleforum!Last edited: 2/2/16
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...) - Page 671post #10051 of 482051/23/12 at 7:46pm
Styles mentioned in this thread:post #10052 of 482051/23/12 at 10:23pmQuote:
Love all those watches in the running. I recently traded my 14060M for a 'transitional' 5513 Sub. The next watch in my cross hairs is a 38 mm El Primero.post #10053 of 482051/24/12 at 7:22amQuote:
At least in the past most of IWC's chronographs and some of their simpler watches like the old Spitfires used Modified ETA/Valjoux movements. If you spent more money, for one that has a split second chronograph, or a perpetual calendar chronograph then they made a lot more modificications and changes to the movement. Basiacally years ago, even watches like their DaVinci Perpetual Calendar Chronograph were based on a Valjoux movement, but at that price range numerous changes were made and it woud be drastically different from a less expensive watch housing a Valjoux movement (even in their own line up). There is nothing wrong with a Valjoux or ETA base, provided its within a certain price range. IWC makes a great product, but many of their movements are not inhouse which is fine with me, but to be honest I have tired of many of their designs (but then again design is very subjective).
P.S. A fairly good reference for what base movements are in which watches is the Wristwatch Annual which you can get online through B&N or Amazon.
Edited by Dino944 - 1/24/12 at 7:40ampost #10054 of 482051/24/12 at 7:35amQuote:Originally Posted by ismelllikepoop
yea, but iwc does a lot of finishing and is a highly modified movement. The bell and ross is pretty much a nice case with a generic off the shelf eta. Just a personal thing but b+r irks me with their "vintage" and heritage line when the company was started in the 90's. at least iwc has a history with providing ww1 pilots watches.
To be honest, IWC really only does a lot of modifying on their pricier watches containing Valjoux or ETA based movements. If you are getting the basic pilot chrono or some of their other less expensive watches, there is very little in terms of modifying. There is some refinishing, but the movement is much more similar to the ETA/Valjoux movements found in other less expensive watches. There is nothing wrong with that, it helps keep prices a bit lower on some watches, you just have to know what you are buying. Years ago the Flieger Chronograph which also became the Spitfire Chrono were around $5,000-5,500 could be bought brand new with heavy discounts for around $3,200-3400. You can't expect lots of mods when thats the bottom line. But still it was a solid watch, nice case and bracelet, and would give someone many years of good use and enjoyment for not huge money.
post #10055 of 482051/24/12 at 8:15ampost #10056 of 482051/24/12 at 8:34ampost #10057 of 482051/24/12 at 8:50ampost #10058 of 482051/24/12 at 9:09ampost #10059 of 482051/24/12 at 9:16ampost #10060 of 482051/24/12 at 9:21ampost #10061 of 482051/24/12 at 9:40ampost #10062 of 482051/24/12 at 9:44ampost #10063 of 482051/24/12 at 9:45ampost #10064 of 482051/24/12 at 10:21am
- The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Breitling, JLC etc...)
- Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › When is the Next Ralph Lauren Sale? 47 seconds ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 1 minute ago
- › Very weird experience with B. Nelson... What is your experience... 1 minute ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 2 minutes ago
- › Tailor4Less ( avoid at all costs ) 2 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 3 minutes ago
- › is it ok to wear short sleeve shirts? 3 minutes ago
- › Engineered Garments SS 16 5 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 5 minutes ago
- › Things you just don't get 5 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
- › Comparison of shoe products - Lexol vs Saphir...
- › What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
- › Why am I not getting the mirror shine I want...
- › How do I polish my shoes but preserve the...
- › What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › Price list for Vass shoes and boots for 2016
- › Paris: Men's Fashion Week, Part 1
- › Advice on care and maintenance of Alden...