Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by Cleav, 3/24/15
- brandCarminatagged by mcblack, 11/12/16
- topicCrockett Jonestagged by Cleav, 3/24/15
- brandCrockett Jones Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/24/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 3/24/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/24/15
- topicJohn Lobbtagged by Cleav, 3/24/15
- brandJohn Lobb Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/24/15
- itemJohn Lobb shoestagged by Cleav, 3/24/15
- brandLoaketagged by Cleav, 3/24/15More
- topicShoestagged by Murlsquirl, 3/14/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Murlsquirl, 3/14/15
Related Forum Threads
- Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II Last post on Today at 7:51 am in Classic Menswear
- Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Yesterday at 9:01 am in Classic Menswear
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/2/17 at 8:22pm in Classic Menswear
- Boots Boots Boots - For Boot Guys Only Last post on Today at 12:40 pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 6:31 pm in Classic Menswear
Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
Last edited: 4/29/16
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?Last edited: 2/8/16
- How do I polish my shoes but preserve the color of the contrast...Last edited: 2/8/16
- Primer: Refinishing a pair of Crockett & Jones shoes using...Last edited: 2/1/16
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizingLast edited: 1/27/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Quintessential Dress Shoe: Black Cap Toe Oxford - Page 6post #77 of 10289/18/13 at 9:02pmpost #78 of 10289/19/13 at 2:38am
barky - no - the Italian polish as I understand it is more of a glossy mirror finish.
Re. price - I know there was a recent across-the-board increase, but I don't recall the new base price. I believe the sub- Euro 400 shoes may be a thing of the past. As always, best to check with the source when in doubt.
I am sure that the Vass staff are wonderful to deal with - I have never heard anything less than stellar accounts. I have dealt with re-sellers for two primary reasons: ease of payment (Vass doesn't take credit cards, and standing in line in a bank at lunchtime for a wire transfer makes me feel like Fred Flintstone) and registered, trackable postal shipping (shipment by courier for me almost always results in maximum duties, taxes and bonus brokerage fees on top of all that).post #79 of 10289/19/13 at 2:41amThread StarterCrockett & Jones
In 1879 Crockett & Jones was founded by Charles Jones and James Crockett in Northampton. They were able to establish Crockett & Jones with a grant from Thomas White Trust that encouraged entrepreneurs at the time.
Jonathan Jones, the current Managing Director, joined the company in 1977. At that time, a decision was taken to re-focus the business. From then onwards they would concentrate on producing men’s high quality Goodyear Welted footwear and developing export sales in Europe, USA and Japan. A new marketing division was put in place under Jonathan’s management and the UK and International collections were re-defined. Crockett & Jones continue to export about 70% of its production, now into its 5th generation family business with 3 ranges, Hand Grade Collection, Main Collection and Shell Cordovan Collection.
In recent times the demand for Crockett & Jones footwear has escalated significantly, due to the quality of its shoes and international marketing. In the latest James Bond film, “Skyfall”, played by Daniel Craig wears Crockett & Jones shoes. A wait time of up to 10 weeks for most of its styles from online retailers are unheard of for other RTW shoemakers in the same price range.
My Crockett & Jones Hand Grade Audley Black in 337 last, size UK 6.5E
Purchased from Pediwear, RRP £387.50 ext. VAT
Topied at Coombs in the Strand Arcade Sydney
Back to Group Photos
Edited by wurger - 9/27/13 at 3:39pmpost #80 of 10289/19/13 at 2:42amThread Starterpost #81 of 10289/19/13 at 3:23amThread Starterpost #82 of 10289/19/13 at 7:33pmpost #83 of 10289/20/13 at 5:24amThread StarterAlfred Sargent
Alfred Sargent has been making quality shoes from the same premises in Rushden, Northamptonshire since 1899 and still remains a family business with the fourth generational upholding its traditional skills and craftsmanship. It produces shoes for quite a few private-label merchandises like Herring and J Crew. They used to sit between C&J, Tricker’s and Loake as another good budget shoemaker, which is a pretty crowded market space and combined with other factors had led to serious financial troubles for the company a few years ago. With the help of investors they revamped their whole manufacturing process in 2010 to move upmarket, improved the quality of leather/finishing and redesigned most lasts and styles, possibility from their experience of producing G&G shoes.
Alfred Sargent currently produces two lines: the AS Exclusive range and the AS Handgrade. The Exclusive line, which is ready-to-wear and covers casual to country styles and dress shoes, is more moderately priced. Their fiddleback waist and high heel stacks combined with a curvier last makes them a visual stand out with high quality in the non-top tier shoemakers at £400 range.
My Alfred Sargent Exclusive Armfield Black in 109 last, size UK 6.5F
Purchased from Pediwear, RRP £327.50 ext. VAT
Topied at Coombs in the Strand Arcade Sydney
Back to Group Photospost #84 of 10289/20/13 at 7:11ampost #85 of 10289/20/13 at 7:17amThread Starterpost #86 of 10289/20/13 at 7:22ampost #87 of 10289/20/13 at 7:22amQuote:Originally Posted by Balfour
Thread continues to deliver.
By no means in the top tier, but my 'Herring by AS' oxford captoes have great bang for their buck at an even lower price point (£275 including VAT at 20%). Certainly more impressive that Loake 1880s (another shoe I am fond of in the beater category).
Is that the 1966 range? The Drake is a beautiful shoe but they don't make it in black. Bakers oak tanned fiddle back soles!post #88 of 10289/20/13 at 7:24amQuote:
No - I think 1966s are comparable to the exclusives. It is definitely in the budget category rather than middle tier, but punches above its weight.post #89 of 10289/20/13 at 7:27ampost #90 of 10289/20/13 at 7:50amThread Starter
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
- › Mazzarelli Fit - Their Standard Shirts? 39 seconds ago
- › Engineered Garments Flight Jacket (size M) 8 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 9 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget – Carmina, John Lobb, Enzo Bonafè, Carlos Santos,... 12 minutes ago
- › Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread 16 minutes ago
- › Ongoing Bespoke Projects 17 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 17 minutes ago
- › Uniqlo x Lemaire (size S) 21 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 22 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 39 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...