yes, they both offer very good value for quality, at two different levels.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by Cleav, 3/24/15
- topicCrockett Jonestagged by Cleav, 3/24/15
- brandCrockett Jones Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/24/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 3/24/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/24/15
- topicJohn Lobbtagged by Cleav, 3/24/15
- brandJohn Lobb Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/24/15
- itemJohn Lobb shoestagged by Cleav, 3/24/15
- brandLoaketagged by Cleav, 3/24/15
- topicShoestagged by Murlsquirl, 3/14/15More
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Murlsquirl, 3/14/15
Related Forum Threads
- Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II Last post on 5/22/16 at 6:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on 5/19/16 at 7:25pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Yesterday at 10:21 pm in Classic Menswear
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 4/17/16 at 2:48pm in Classic Menswear
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Yesterday at 9:47 pm in Classic Menswear
Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
Last edited: 4/29/16
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?Last edited: 2/8/16
- How do I polish my shoes but preserve the color of the contrast...Last edited: 2/8/16
- Primer: Refinishing a pair of Crockett & Jones shoes using...Last edited: 2/1/16
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizingLast edited: 1/27/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Quintessential Dress Shoe: Black Cap Toe Oxford - Page 19post #271 of 93211/12/13 at 3:43amThread Starterpost #272 of 93211/12/13 at 3:52ampost #273 of 93211/12/13 at 10:25amWe have a nice added extra for all AS Exclusives - free AS lasted shoe trees and free international shipping all the time. On all other ranges we have free cedar trees and international shipping, always accompanied with Saphir polish.
http://www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk/collections/alfred-sargent-exclusive-collection-price-ascpost #274 of 93211/23/13 at 6:37ampost #275 of 93211/24/13 at 1:38amThread Starterpost #276 of 93212/2/13 at 9:57ampost #277 of 93212/2/13 at 1:28pmThread Starterpost #278 of 93212/5/13 at 1:54amThread StarterPunch Cap Toe, or quarter brogue, is a variant of the traditional cap toe oxford, where there are broguing along the seams, but no medallions on the toes.
I quite like the nice touch of perforation.
My Edward Green Ready to Wear Berkeley Black in 202 last, size UK 6.5E
Purchased from Edwards of Manchester, RRP £550 ext. VAT
Topied at Coombs in the Strand Arcade Sydney
Edited by wurger - 12/5/13 at 4:37ampost #279 of 93212/5/13 at 6:05amwurger,
What is your view on the formality of the punch cap toe versus the traditional straight tip version? Is there a situation where a traditional calfskin straight tip captoe oxford would be appropriate while a punch cap toe oxford would not?
I am closing in on one of these models. It is between an Edward Green captoe (either punch cap toe or the traditional version) and something like the Sid Mashburn version (which is made by Alfred Sargent).post #280 of 93212/5/13 at 6:12amAnyone have any experience with this captoe from Sid Mashburn?
It is apparently made by Alfred Sargent, but I was told that Sid Mashburn shoes are all generally wider than standard English models. After trying on a pair, I agree, but I was wondering if anyone owns these.post #281 of 93212/5/13 at 10:54amQuote:
1. With a dinner suit - definite rule.
2. In a very traditional business environment, e.g. City of London finance house - more of a "fitting in" thing
http://essentialmanliness.com/post/68792392182/gentlemens-essentials-the-black-cap-toe-oxford (Wurger is now a man with shoes of international renown!)post #282 of 93212/5/13 at 11:52am
I believe a dinner suit calls for either opera pumps or a plain toe oxford with no stitch cap at all. I suppose a stitch cap is better than a punch cap, but if you're already not wearing the traditional shoe, I'm not sure how much worse your rule breaking is.post #283 of 93212/5/13 at 12:07pm
A plain cap is acceptable. But you're right that a plain toe oxford, balmoral or wholecut is better. Opera pumps are a step up, although actual dress pumps are only a fixed requirement for white tie. So it's a baseline, a compromise. But not a breaking of the rules as such.
A more common breaking of the rules would be a derby as a dress shoe, which I think is an absolute no: I see open-laced patent shoes all the time marketed as "tuxedo shoes" in the US, and even the UK. And of course, although I've seen advice on this forum to the contrary, patent leather itself is less proper than well-polished calf. Not wrong, just a bit tacky next to the real thing. Like satin lapels instead of grosgrain - common, fine, but there is a better choice if available. Having said that, I have some patent plain toe oxfords inbound for my new black tie shoes as we speak. My beloved vetoed the pumps...
.post #284 of 93212/5/13 at 5:30pmThread Starterpost #285 of 93212/9/13 at 3:01amThread Starter
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
- › Dress codes in Paris? 7 minutes ago
- › Made to measure hoodies - any companies that specialize in them? 13 minutes ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 16 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 19 minutes ago
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 30 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 35 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's,... 36 minutes ago
- › NBA 2015-2016 Season Thread 40 minutes ago
- › John Lobb Appreciation Thread 45 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 51 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding
- › What to Wear to (Almost) Any Wedding
- › Ron Rider's comprehensive Shoe Care Guide
- › Allen Edmonds fit & sizing help