yes, they both offer very good value for quality, at two different levels.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandAllen Edmondstagged by Cleav, 3/24/15
- brandCarminatagged by mcblack, 11/12/16
- topicCrockett Jonestagged by Cleav, 3/24/15
- brandCrockett Jones Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/24/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 3/24/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/24/15
- topicJohn Lobbtagged by Cleav, 3/24/15
- brandJohn Lobb Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/24/15
- itemJohn Lobb shoestagged by Cleav, 3/24/15
- brandLoaketagged by Cleav, 3/24/15More
- topicShoestagged by Murlsquirl, 3/14/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Murlsquirl, 3/14/15
Related Forum Threads
- Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II Last post on 12/22/16 at 4:33am in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 11:59 am in Classic Menswear
- Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on 1/9/17 at 6:36pm in Classic Menswear
- WAYWRN: Shoe & Boot Edition Last post on 1/2/17 at 8:22pm in Classic Menswear
- Boots Boots Boots - For Boot Guys Only Last post on Today at 11:15 am in Classic Menswear
Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
Last edited: 4/29/16
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?Last edited: 2/8/16
- How do I polish my shoes but preserve the color of the contrast...Last edited: 2/8/16
- Primer: Refinishing a pair of Crockett & Jones shoes using...Last edited: 2/1/16
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizingLast edited: 1/27/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Quintessential Dress Shoe: Black Cap Toe Oxford - Page 19post #271 of 99611/12/13 at 3:43amThread Starterpost #272 of 99611/12/13 at 3:52ampost #273 of 99611/12/13 at 10:25amWe have a nice added extra for all AS Exclusives - free AS lasted shoe trees and free international shipping all the time. On all other ranges we have free cedar trees and international shipping, always accompanied with Saphir polish.
http://www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk/collections/alfred-sargent-exclusive-collection-price-ascpost #274 of 99611/23/13 at 6:37ampost #275 of 99611/24/13 at 1:38amThread Starterpost #276 of 99612/2/13 at 9:57ampost #277 of 99612/2/13 at 1:28pmThread Starterpost #278 of 99612/5/13 at 1:54amThread StarterPunch Cap Toe, or quarter brogue, is a variant of the traditional cap toe oxford, where there are broguing along the seams, but no medallions on the toes.
I quite like the nice touch of perforation.
My Edward Green Ready to Wear Berkeley Black in 202 last, size UK 6.5E
Purchased from Edwards of Manchester, RRP £550 ext. VAT
Topied at Coombs in the Strand Arcade Sydney
Edited by wurger - 12/5/13 at 4:37ampost #279 of 99612/5/13 at 6:05amwurger,
What is your view on the formality of the punch cap toe versus the traditional straight tip version? Is there a situation where a traditional calfskin straight tip captoe oxford would be appropriate while a punch cap toe oxford would not?
I am closing in on one of these models. It is between an Edward Green captoe (either punch cap toe or the traditional version) and something like the Sid Mashburn version (which is made by Alfred Sargent).post #280 of 99612/5/13 at 6:12amAnyone have any experience with this captoe from Sid Mashburn?
It is apparently made by Alfred Sargent, but I was told that Sid Mashburn shoes are all generally wider than standard English models. After trying on a pair, I agree, but I was wondering if anyone owns these.post #281 of 99612/5/13 at 10:54amQuote:
1. With a dinner suit - definite rule.
2. In a very traditional business environment, e.g. City of London finance house - more of a "fitting in" thing
http://essentialmanliness.com/post/68792392182/gentlemens-essentials-the-black-cap-toe-oxford (Wurger is now a man with shoes of international renown!)post #282 of 99612/5/13 at 11:52am
I believe a dinner suit calls for either opera pumps or a plain toe oxford with no stitch cap at all. I suppose a stitch cap is better than a punch cap, but if you're already not wearing the traditional shoe, I'm not sure how much worse your rule breaking is.post #283 of 99612/5/13 at 12:07pm
A plain cap is acceptable. But you're right that a plain toe oxford, balmoral or wholecut is better. Opera pumps are a step up, although actual dress pumps are only a fixed requirement for white tie. So it's a baseline, a compromise. But not a breaking of the rules as such.
A more common breaking of the rules would be a derby as a dress shoe, which I think is an absolute no: I see open-laced patent shoes all the time marketed as "tuxedo shoes" in the US, and even the UK. And of course, although I've seen advice on this forum to the contrary, patent leather itself is less proper than well-polished calf. Not wrong, just a bit tacky next to the real thing. Like satin lapels instead of grosgrain - common, fine, but there is a better choice if available. Having said that, I have some patent plain toe oxfords inbound for my new black tie shoes as we speak. My beloved vetoed the pumps...
.post #284 of 99612/5/13 at 5:30pmThread Starterpost #285 of 99612/9/13 at 3:01amThread Starter
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › Inexpensive or Reasonably Priced Suits - Advice 2 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 3 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 5 minutes ago
- › ADIDAS Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford QOS 38/48R Black Dinner Jacket 7 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 10 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 11 minutes ago
- › Gun Appreciation Thread 11 minutes ago
- › Lets talk about COFFEE 12 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...