or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › The Apple Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Apple Discussion Thread - Page 199

post #2971 of 3276
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post

I got the leather case in black. The saddle brown looked great, but I'm not that baller. First time I've had a case in 17 years of owning a cell phone. Initial thoughts are that it is unobtrusive. The leather isn't great quality but seems to get the job done.

Also I've had zero issues using the adapter with my Shure headphones. It's tiny enough to fit in the case which the headphones came with. Not sure what all the fuss is about. Doubt I'll get Bluetooth headphones until something matches the sound quality of the Shures. The adapter is a perfectly viable solution day to day.

Honestly, return the black and get the saddle brown. It's a sweet color combo with the black iPhone. But beyond that, the saddle brown wears beautifully and develops an amazing patina.
post #2972 of 3276
I have an appletv 4, apparently it's quite a bit nicer than previous generations. I have apple stuff so it all plays nicely, I hated the chrome dongle. Can also connect my Bluetooth apple keyboard to it when I need to type from couch instead of selecting one letter at a time
post #2973 of 3276
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post

I think my point was that it's not really a bunch of dongles - it's one that can be left on the headphones. Charging might be annoying in some situations. That's essentially the only dongle you'd need and go to monoprice and pick up a spliter for cheap.

I'm glad Apple is pushing. Change always affects and scares people, but you need it for progress.


Well I think his point was that if you choose to leave them on your headphones and own multiple headphones, that means you need to have multiple dongles. If you keep the dongle separate that's fine, but it's one more thing to have to hassle with or misplace.

Plus dongles are ugly and I don't think asking users to have to buy a 2nd ugly dongle to act like a spliter is even remotely an elegant solution. Keep in mind that this is Apple. A company that typically prides itself in providing the user a holistic experience that is well designed and elegant.

One elephant in the room that not many seem to pick up on is the fact that the old iPhone had a great DAC built into it. Taking for granted that the adapter they are including for normal headphones may also include an above average DAC, where does that leave lightning headphones? They will each have to have their own DAC's built in and it's just one more technical layer that manufacturers will have to get right to provide you decent sound. How many headset manufacturers will have the expertise to design well made DAC's in their lighting headphones?
post #2974 of 3276
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

Honestly, return the black and get the saddle brown. It's a sweet color combo with the black iPhone. But beyond that, the saddle brown wears beautifully and develops an amazing patina.

Yeah it looks great. Matte black and the brown pair amazingly. They come together and give the phone an upscale and somewhat retro feel.

I'm looking forward to seeing if it ages well. I've seen some good examples of this happening with the case online. Still I don't believe Apple used high grade leather or anything. So I wouldn't get carried away with expectations on that end.
post #2975 of 3276
Quote:
Originally Posted by the shah View Post

 Can also connect my Bluetooth apple keyboard to it when I need to type from couch instead of selecting one letter at a time

Uh, I have an iphone for that.

 

Those silly little silver remotes get lost all the time (the have an uncanny ability to slide between cushions and find the deepest depth of a couch)  I use my phone most of the time to control the apple tv.  Of course, I have a couple of older gen apple tvs

post #2976 of 3276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Mouse View Post

Yeah it looks great. Matte black and the brown pair amazingly. They come together and give the phone an upscale and somewhat retro feel.

I'm looking forward to seeing if it ages well. I've seen some good examples of this happening with the case online. Still I don't believe Apple used high grade leather or anything. So I wouldn't get carried away with expectations on that end.

Agreed. The only reason why I didn't opt for it on my 7 is the exposed bottom of the phone. I know for sure my Jet Black 7 would end up scratching like a mofo there.
post #2977 of 3276
I guess I might have blinders on a bit. The Shures are my only travel headphones and the Sennheisers are my home headphones.

Let me live in piece for a day with the black case tongue.gif.
post #2978 of 3276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelstiltskin View Post

I know this is the Apple thread but I'm still going to ask: Roku 3 or Apple TV 4?  

I have both. If you watch 4K content keep in mind the Apple TV doesn't support 4K. The apple ui is slicker and airplay is convenient but i still like the Roku more. The headphone jack on the remote is handy if you want to watch stuff without disturbing someone else in the room.
post #2979 of 3276
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaTionS View Post

I have both. If you watch 4K content keep in mind the Apple TV doesn't support 4K. The apple ui is slicker and airplay is convenient but i still like the Roku more. The headphone jack on the remote is handy if you want to watch stuff without disturbing someone else in the room.

Yeah that was another deal breaker. My TV is 4K, but not baller 70" - just 43" (my place is tiny). However, 4K is fully noticeable. The TV itself can support it, but Apple TV can't.

Also, regarding the DAC issue - (this is just my opinion) - I doubt people are listening to music on Senns or Grados or Beyers from their phones - which would all need an adapter themselves anyway (1/4" to 3.5mm). I use my Shures to shut out annoying kids the parents can't control on airplanes, not to be in a concert hall.

I could end up being wrong, but it's doing the job and the adapter is 9 bucks - who has multiple iPhone headphones (it comes with a pair in the box) that they would need one for?
Edited by ramuman - 10/7/16 at 2:37pm
post #2980 of 3276
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

Agreed. The only reason why I didn't opt for it on my 7 is the exposed bottom of the phone. I know for sure my Jet Black 7 would end up scratching like a mofo there.

Well that was your mistake. wink.gif
post #2981 of 3276
I'm sure I'm going to regret saying this but I haven't noticed the jet black being particularly scratch prone and I'm going completely caseless and have dropped it a few times.
post #2982 of 3276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Mouse View Post

Astonishing level of attention to detail.


How does their version of this one 🔥look like?

post #2983 of 3276
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace13x View Post

How does their version of this one 🔥look like?

explosive-start-for-samsung-galaxy-note-7-more-phones-catch-fire-while-charging-507793-4.jpg
post #2984 of 3276
Quote:
Originally Posted by the shah View Post


explosive-start-for-samsung-galaxy-note-7-more-phones-catch-fire-while-charging-507793-4.jpg

 

Astonishing level of attention to detail.

post #2985 of 3276
lol
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › The Apple Discussion Thread