or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › The Apple Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Apple Discussion Thread - Page 136

post #2026 of 3275
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcman311 View Post

Of all the crazy things Ive accomplished in life, I cant believe I did this. Mother in laws iphone 6. Dropped in toilet, hasnt worked in 8 months. It was just sitting around so I thought I could take it apart and try to fix it. Its alive!.
What exactly did you do to fix it?
post #2027 of 3275
Cleaned all connectors with isopropryl alcohol and ultrasonic cleaned the logic board. Got all the screws back in and it wasnt working. Cleaned the screen connectors some more and let it sit for an hour and is working again. Not the greatest but its updating now and working fine. Probably will just be used for a kids movie/game device

Greenfrog, I thought you'd give me crap about just buying a new one to up your APL stock. No need to worry though my mother in law bought a new one right after she realized this one was basically toast smile.gif
post #2028 of 3275
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg View Post

Any thoughts on the 27" iMac? Looking for a general purpose computer for the house. Photoshop/internet/email/word processing. Trying to decide whether to buy vs build.

They are pretty fucking sick. Beautiful displays and capable enough.

If you just want general purpose and are willing to spend the money, it is hard to beat. There are some windows all-in-ones that look pretty solid too, but I don't think any have displays that rival the 27" imac. I use a 2160x1440 27" on my desktop at home and I love it (though I prefer two smaller monitors at work)...and the new 5K imac is even higher resolution and has better ui-scaling than windows.

I'm cheap and I'm a nerd, so I stick with a self-built desktop...but it also sits in my bedroom where most people don't see it. If I were going to be putting it in a more visible space in the home, the minimal excess size if the imac is hard to beat compared to something you could build yourself.

Sure, you lose some upgrade and repair opportunities...but for general purpose use, you should easily get 4+ years of use out of the new imac. After 4 years on a self-built system, you are basically talking about replacing everything important (mobo/cpu/gpu/ram/HDDs)...the only sad part about the imac is that you are forced to get rid of an awesome display when you upgrade.
post #2029 of 3275
Thanks @otc. Been out of the game for a LONG time with regard to building my own, so I'll have to do some looking to see what's out there vs. the huge boxes that were the norm ~10 years ago. I'm willing to pay a bit more for the look/convenience/lack of clutter.

Had kind of assumed that I'd be able to use the display as a second monitor once the internals became outdated, but I should probably check to confirm that.
post #2030 of 3275
Sounds like you can do it (I didn't expect it) although it isn't always a simple process.

Sounds easy enough to do from one mac to another. If you want to connect a PC or other device to it, you will need adapters, and to get the resolutions on the 27" imac, you probably need expensive "active" adapters.

Also, it sounds like the imac still needs to be functional. You need an apple keyboard to be able to press cmd-f2, which I assume means the imac can't be dead....you can't just use the monitor without the rest of the computer running.
post #2031 of 3275
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg View Post

Thanks @otc. Been out of the game for a LONG time with regard to building my own, so I'll have to do some looking to see what's out there vs. the huge boxes that were the norm ~10 years ago. I'm willing to pay a bit more for the look/convenience/lack of clutter.

Had kind of assumed that I'd be able to use the display as a second monitor once the internals became outdated, but I should probably check to confirm that.

I agree with oct as well. I used to build my own PCs since I was 5. At some point, the pain in the butt aspect of upgrading/replacing parts and then selling them off or trashing became too annoying. For the last 10 years or so, I've just been using a MacBook Pro (currently on the current 13" Retina) with a VM or Boot Camp as needed. I'm fine without a larger monitor as my work doesn't really need it, but I guess I could always connect it to my TV.

It sounds like you want a solid desktop, and the iMac is great for that. You can also check out their refurbished section - as good as new if you get what you're looking for.
post #2032 of 3275
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

Sounds like you can do it (I didn't expect it) although it isn't always a simple process.

Sounds easy enough to do from one mac to another. If you want to connect a PC or other device to it, you will need adapters, and to get the resolutions on the 27" imac, you probably need expensive "active" adapters.

Also, it sounds like the imac still needs to be functional. You need an apple keyboard to be able to press cmd-f2, which I assume means the imac can't be dead....you can't just use the monitor without the rest of the computer running.

This might be of help:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204592
post #2033 of 3275
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post

This might be of help:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204592

"Note: iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) and later iMac models can't be used as Target Display Mode displays."

Nevermind.

Damn...seems like a waste of a panel.
post #2034 of 3275
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post


Damn...seems like a waste of a panel.

Agreed! Pretty annoying. My main concern is something crapping out and then the whole thing is a fancy door stop.
post #2035 of 3275
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg View Post

Agreed! Pretty annoying. My main concern is something crapping out and then the whole thing is a fancy door stop.

Devil's advocate - have you considered a Mac mini (or if needed a Mac Pro or a PC) + 4k TV/monitor? I know it's not an elegant solution, but it's a solution where you're not screwed when the computer is that fancy door stop.

I occasionally use my MacBook Pro with my 4k TV and it works well. Sure, there's a cable going out of my laptop and the refresh is only 30 Hz, but I'm not playing games off the laptop.
post #2036 of 3275
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post

Devil's advocate - have you considered a Mac mini (or if needed a Mac Pro or a PC) + 4k TV/monitor? I know it's not an elegant solution, but it's a solution where you're not screwed when the computer is that fancy door stop.

I occasionally use my MacBook Pro with my 4k TV and it works well. Sure, there's a cable going out of my laptop and the refresh is only 30 Hz, but I'm not playing games off the laptop.

It's a good thought but I suspect the Pro is overkill, and as for the mini - I'd want at least the mid tier version and would add the fusion drive, which brings it to $900. It doesn't come with a keyboard or mouse, so when I add those + a really nice monitor, I'm in iMac territory for what seems like a significantly less capable machine. I don't do anything too resource intensive, but my current laptop can get pretty bogged down with Photoshop and Lightroom. It's probably iMac or build my own for me.
post #2037 of 3275
I kinda wish the Pro were bigger so that the software keyboard was full sized in landscape mode.
post #2038 of 3275
I think I'm getting a mini iPad 4 this Christmas. Looks like the perfect size for reading. The iPad PRO does look huge..

We already have an iPad Air at home but I think it'd still be too big to hold in one hand to read.
post #2039 of 3275
Just for shits and giggles a Bill Burr riff on Steve Jobs.


post #2040 of 3275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tried and True View Post

Just for shits and giggles a Bill Burr riff on Steve Jobs.

Bill Burr is terrible at even being Bill Burr. He's going to rehash the same jokes for when Musk and Gates die, which for the sake of my ears and brain is after Burr.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › The Apple Discussion Thread