or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › The Apple Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Apple Discussion Thread - Page 131

post #1951 of 3275

Fuckers.

 

lefty

post #1952 of 3275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelstiltskin View Post

The other issue is that the grandfathered AT&T plans have slower data rates than the current plans.  I vaguely recall getting a letter in 2013 that detailed the change

Wasn't that ruled illegal? Verizon was up to the same shenanigans
post #1953 of 3275
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post


Wasn't that ruled illegal? Verizon was up to the same shenanigans

 

I think Verizon got busted for more egregious fuckery .  I never gave it much thought because my previous phone did everything slow. The only thing cutting edge about it was the camera

 

highres-nokiapureview808jpg_1330345938.jpg

post #1954 of 3275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelstiltskin View Post

The other issue is that the grandfathered AT&T plans have slower data rates than the current plans.  I vaguely recall getting a letter in 2013 that detailed the change

That's the throttling. Not illegal as far as I know (your contract on that original plan expired many many years ago and you have signed new contracts since that include it).

But it only happens after you hit the throttling limit. On a 4g phone, that limit is 5gb per line. Up until 5GB, your speeds are equal to every other plan. After 5GB, they may be slowed down subject to tower congestion until the end of the monthly billing cycle.

In the past, there was a period where they didn't know how to throttle based on congestion so they just did it to everyone who hit the limit, but right now it will only happen at busy times in busy areas.

Verizon does it to 3g users, but not 4g after some nasty feedback from the FCC.
post #1955 of 3275
But do keep in mind...there is nothing really requiring these people to keep you grandfathered in AFAIK. They purely do it because if they made you switch plans, you might also decide to switch carriers. Keep you locked in to your grandfathered plan and you will never leave.

If they start losing money on the deal, they are just going to tell you "No More Unlimited" when you try to renew. But right now, they have a bunch of unlimited customers who are using tiny amounts of data and are paying more just for the off chance that they might suddenly use a bunch of data. I know that back before we switched to a shared data plan, my 3gb plan was $5 less than my dad's unlimited plan. I went over 3gb twice (costing me $20). I would be surprised if he went over a single time. So for at least 48 months, he paid an extra $240 just to avoid the prospect of having to pay an overage, which only cost me $20 over the same period.

And they 100% will get rid of plans they don't like. There is tons of evidence from the early smart phone days where people tried to carry over unlimited plans to the iphone 3G (either unlimited for the original non-3G iphone, or unlimited from other smart phones or feature-phones). They eventually said "No. 3G costs more and if you get a 3G device, you are going to pay extra." and stopped allowing people to keep their plans if they switched phones. By the time 4G LTE iphones rolled out, you couldn't even sign up for a new unlimited plan...they easily could have said "Hey, you can stay unlimited on your old 3G phone, but if you want 4G, you need a new plan".
post #1956 of 3275

I picked up a subsidized 6 in Jan and am locked to my two year plan (to apple's credit the replaced the phone for a clicking screen - no questions asked), but my wife is looking at a 6s and I was surprised to see that she has to buy it outright or get into some kind of lease or payment plan.

 

Much to research I guess.

 

lefty

post #1957 of 3275
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

But do keep in mind...there is nothing really requiring these people to keep you grandfathered in AFAIK. They purely do it because if they made you switch plans, you might also decide to switch carriers. Keep you locked in to your grandfathered plan and you will never leave.

If they start losing money on the deal, they are just going to tell you "No More Unlimited" when you try to renew. But right now, they have a bunch of unlimited customers who are using tiny amounts of data and are paying more just for the off chance that they might suddenly use a bunch of data. I know that back before we switched to a shared data plan, my 3gb plan was $5 less than my dad's unlimited plan. I went over 3gb twice (costing me $20). I would be surprised if he went over a single time. So for at least 48 months, he paid an extra $240 just to avoid the prospect of having to pay an overage, which only cost me $20 over the same period.

And they 100% will get rid of plans they don't like. There is tons of evidence from the early smart phone days where people tried to carry over unlimited plans to the iphone 3G (either unlimited for the original non-3G iphone, or unlimited from other smart phones or feature-phones). They eventually said "No. 3G costs more and if you get a 3G device, you are going to pay extra." and stopped allowing people to keep their plans if they switched phones. By the time 4G LTE iphones rolled out, you couldn't even sign up for a new unlimited plan...they easily could have said "Hey, you can stay unlimited on your old 3G phone, but if you want 4G, you need a new plan".

 

The way around that was to buy a phone outright from the manufacturer/Amazon which is how I made sure my unlimited plan stayed unlimited.  The last new phone I got when I was on AT&T was a blackberry bold

post #1958 of 3275
What data plans do you guys have? Your numbers are way different from mine. I get unlimited data for $20/month from AT&T. 2GB/month from them is $30. Unlimited is way better.
post #1959 of 3275
I'm on t mobiles unlimited plan for $70 a month. I use 10-20 gigs a month streaming the news during my commute and it's been nothing but awesomeness so far.

Never get throttled either.
post #1960 of 3275
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorsod View Post

What data plans do you guys have? Your numbers are way different from mine. I get unlimited data for $20/month from AT&T. 2GB/month from them is $30. Unlimited is way better.

Well yeah, if you only pay $20, unlimited is way better.

Although that $30 plan they currently offer can be shared across multiple phones...so with a family plan, you can come out ahead (and on the current plans, *everyone* gets unlimited calling and texting...how much do you currently pay per line for that and how many minutes/texts do you get?)
post #1961 of 3275
Hey guys,

I've been using PCs my whole life and although I've had an iPhone for a couple years, I've decided to dive deeper into the rabbit hole with a refurbished 13" rMBP. As the switch from Windows to Mac OS is quite overwhelming, do you guys have any beginner tips/tricks/links that will help speed up my learning curve? Will my laptop and phone now work seamlessly together? Do people buy covers/sleeves/screen protectors? Will artsy girls now come up and talk to me in coffee shops?

Thanks in advance
post #1962 of 3275
Kindle or iPad?

I;m thinking Kindle since I'm mainly looking for an e-reader, but of the two which is better for basically reading everything from PDF files, novels, textbooks to the newspaper? I want to be able to bookmark and highlight passages. I mention the PDF file because I was actually thinking about reading prospectus when studying/researching where a highlight function may be very helpful (lol).

I'm also in the middle of cleaning out the room and just realize an e-reader may make my life so much easier.
post #1963 of 3275
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettoasty View Post

Kindle or iPad?

I;m thinking Kindle since I'm mainly looking for an e-reader, but of the two which is better for basically reading everything from PDF files, novels, textbooks to the newspaper? I want to be able to bookmark and highlight passages. I mention the PDF file because I was actually thinking about reading prospectus when studying/researching where a highlight function may be very helpful (lol).

I'm also in the middle of cleaning out the room and just realize an e-reader may make my life so much easier.


I have both, and TBH I mainly read of the iPad (using the Kindle app). The iPad is more versatile and I can use it to listen to music etc at the same time. The only time when the kindle gets preference is on holiday when I am reading outside as the ipad doesn't handle glare very well.

 

I very rarely buy a paper book theses days except for art related ones

post #1964 of 3275
My eyes wear out much more quickly when reading an iPad compared to a kindle.
post #1965 of 3275
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiemcp View Post

the ipad doesn't handle glare very well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grundletaint View Post

My eyes wear out much more quickly when reading an iPad compared to a kindle.
QFT
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › The Apple Discussion Thread