or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › NFL 2016-17 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NFL 2016-17 Thread - Page 208

post #3106 of 4980
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post

Hopefully even people who dislike the Patriots can admit that Goodell is an unprincipled hack and a bigger douche than Brady.

How is he a hack? Inconsistent for certain - oh answered my own question. He screwed up the Ray Rice issue and when he himself handles an issue, pretty sure he asks a magic 8 ball for the punishment. In this case, the report also alludes their prior history.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser View Post

People still talk about Spygate, don't they? Deflategate would have been forgotten if the Seahawks had won the Super Bowl. I wonder what the Patriots' punishment would have been in that circumstance? I'd like to think that the league would have been consistent, but it probably would have been much less.

The report alludes to it, but when it's all said and done, no one really cares about, particularly when Tom and Bill are eligible for the HoF as the first couple.
post #3107 of 4980
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post

but using that logic it is okay to cheat as long as it wasn't the factor that tipped the win in your favor.


No, that's not correct. You may be misunderstanding my point.

The analysis of "Super Bowl > suspension, fine + draft pick loss" only makes sense if if you assume that "Super Bowl" is what you get in that trade-off. If you believe that the actual benefit of under-inflating the balls (or whatever) is negligible or at least uncertain, it's a very different calculus. Then it's a question of whether "Doing some stupid bullshit that may not give you any real advantage just because it feeds into your neurosis" > suspension/fine/draft pick.

In a former gig I used to deal with insider trading cases a lot. With people who would risk loss of career, public humiliation, possible prison term, etc. for some big pay-off you could at least see some rational analysis (even if it were based on a misvaluing of variables such as the risk of getting caught) that could lead someone to engage in the behavior. But I also saw lots of people basically destroy their lives through attempts at small-scale cheating that even if successful wouldn't significantly improve their lives.
post #3108 of 4980

More infuriating than Tom Brady: The Pentagon paid a total of $5.4 million to NFL teams to run salute the troops ads.  

 

I always thought teams did this for the PR. 

post #3109 of 4980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser View Post

People still talk about Spygate, don't they? Deflategate would have been forgotten if the Seahawks had won the Super Bowl. I wonder what the Patriots' punishment would have been in that circumstance? I'd like to think that the league would have been consistent, but it probably would have been much less.

"People" will always "talk" about stuff. 10 years after his retirement, no one will give a shit. When he comes up for the Hall, no one will give a shit. I think you seriously underestimate just how stupid and how little attention span the sports media has and how a few good PR officers can totally change a narrative. Also, both times all people can say is "maybe they skirted around the edges of the rules" or "I swear to God I hope the other 31 teams aren't so stupid they never thought of that" (regarding Spygate).

Also, I think you are incorrect about the SB loss. They lost in 07 and "people still talk about Spygate, don't they?" (I don't mean that to be a dick).
post #3110 of 4980
Quote:
Originally Posted by edinatlanta View Post


Also, I think you are incorrect about the SB loss. They lost in 07 and "people still talk about Spygate, don't they?" (I don't mean that to be a dick).

I think one difference is that Spygate broke after week 1 of the 2007 season, so the NFL had plenty of time to consider a punishment without even thinking ahead to the Superbowl or anything like that, whereas with DeflateGate the investigation wasn't even close to being finished by the time the Superbowl occurred. Not sure if that mattered, but it is a distinction worth pointing out.
post #3111 of 4980
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post


No, that's not correct. You may be misunderstanding my point.

The analysis of "Super Bowl > suspension, fine + draft pick loss" only makes sense if if you assume that "Super Bowl" is what you get in that trade-off. If you believe that the actual benefit of under-inflating the balls (or whatever) is negligible or at least uncertain, it's a very different calculus. Then it's a question of whether "Doing some stupid bullshit that may not give you any real advantage just because it feeds into your neurosis" > suspension/fine/draft pick.

In a former gig I used to deal with insider trading cases a lot. With people who would risk loss of career, public humiliation, possible prison term, etc. for some big pay-off you could at least see some rational analysis (even if it were based on a misvaluing of variables such as the risk of getting caught) that could lead someone to engage in the behavior. But I also saw lots of people basically destroy their lives through attempts at small-scale cheating that even if successful wouldn't significantly improve their lives.

 

Yeah, i understand your point. I also hate the fact that the team has to be punished for the actions of only one member of the team (not including the staff, also assuming the team wasn't in on this) but it had to be done.

post #3112 of 4980
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post

when he himself handles an issue, pretty sure he asks a magic 8 ball for the punishment.

Haha. Well played.
post #3113 of 4980
post #3114 of 4980
Wow, there really is a GoFundMe for Bob Kraft's fine??
post #3115 of 4980
Just incase Kraft needs more money.

I hope no patriots fans complain about ticket prices, if you're willing to give away money to the Patriots in exchange for nothing
post #3116 of 4980
The crowd funding is stupid. I say this as a Patriots fan.
post #3117 of 4980
Isn't Kraft going to be saving money by not having to pay Brady's salary for four games?
post #3118 of 4980

If you're suspended do you not get paid? if so, does the patriots cap lower as a result?

post #3119 of 4980
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post

If you're suspended do you not get paid? if so, does the patriots cap lower as a result?

No you don;t get paid.
No.
post #3120 of 4980
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › NFL 2016-17 Thread