or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Suit Supply Suit -- Age Appropriate?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Suit Supply Suit -- Age Appropriate? - Page 5

post #61 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde View Post

Don't know who Tim Gunn is. But David Reeves' contempt of SS is amusing, given the aesthetics quality of the clothing that he himself produces.

Really?
post #62 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Reeves View Post


I am not a millionaire, far from it, but I spent 10k on suits this year at cost, I think that demonstrates a certain level of commitment, belief and sacrifice. I am married with two kids and a cat. If I can do it a millionaire can. Now you may say that you would rather spend on other things, which is of course valid but it seems strange to be on style forum in that case.

You spent 10k on suits at cost. What does that have to do with spending 5k per suit at retail? Anyway, I assume you notice the huge amount of posters who disagree with you so I'll leave it at that. Agree to disagree.

post #63 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by othertravel View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think David's making the point that TG is diluting the artisanal (word?) aspect of fine tailored clothing by endorsing suit supply. That is, TG is subverting art to form. David is an artisan, as was E. Zegna, as is Timothy Everest, as is Nutter, etc... I wouldn't put SS in their league. I'd put SS in Hugo Boss' league.

That's not to say SS and Hugo Boss don't produce some nice pieces. But it's unusual for someone with TG's expertise to praise Suit Supply as if it was an extremely well made garment.

As a personal note, I like some Hugo Boss pieces.

SS is better than Hugo Boss. Half canvas and branded fabric. For the money SS is a very well made garment. I have items that cost 5 times as much and the quality is not 5 times better.

post #64 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie22 View Post

You spent 10k on suits at cost. What does that have to do with spending 5k per suit at retail? Anyway, I assume you notice the huge amount of posters who disagree with you so I'll leave it at that. Agree to disagree.

It means someone can buy 2 suits a year at 5k and they don't have to be a millionaire.
post #65 of 104
Frankie 22, I would totally agree with your assessment, 100% about suit supply's quality for its price point. I do not have contempt for suit supply's product and I have recommended people shop there, its a very different thing to what I do but that doesn't mean I have contempt for the product.

I have to admit I don't approve of their advertising campaigns after doing a google image search, but thats just my opinion and I am entitled to it just as you are entitled to yours.

In any case I assure you I am not sat here twitching and hating on suit supply now, or any other day.
Edited by David Reeves - 9/3/13 at 5:42pm
post #66 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Reeves View Post

If you can point me to local manufacturers/suppliers of that calibre I will use them. People are just running with the locally made point which was never my criticism.

I'm not sure that is much of a commitment to going local in any meaningful sense, in particular with respect to suits. The only reason I focused on the local point was that I thought there might be something interesting about it.
post #67 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie22 View Post

SS is better than Hugo Boss. Half canvas and branded fabric. For the money SS is a very well made garment. I have items that cost 5 times as much and the quality is not 5 times better.

Boss is half canvassed too in some cases (Tailored line) with most of it being fused. Boss used to be amazing when they had Caruso make their top line, but they decided to go down market.

In fairness, I think there are many similarities between SS and HB. Varying levels of quality between lines, the same branded mills, and machine made. Even the ad campaigns use similar aesthetics.

I'll give SS credit on price. A fully canvassed garment for 1k at retail is pretty good, especially when compared to Boss.

In conclusion, SS and Boss are direct competitors. They aren't competing with Tom Ford, Isaia or Zegna. The similarities outweigh the minor differences.
post #68 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Reeves View Post

Frankie 22, I would totally agree with your assessment, 100% about suit supply's quality for its price point. I do not have contempt for suit supply's product and I have recommended people shop there, its a very different thing to what I do but that doesn't mean I have contempt for the product.

I have to admit I don't approve of their advertising campaigns after doing a google image search, but thats just my opinion and I am entitled to it just as you are entitled to yours.

In any case I assure you I am not sat here twitching and hating on suit supply now, or any other day.

But you are disparaging the product. To say otherwise is simply nonsense.
post #69 of 104
But look at the context of his argument. He isn't disparaging the quality of the product; he's disparaging the level of praise afforded to SS by TG, which isn't really warranted (especially if you view tailoring as a craft).

Most SFers aren't tailors. This is David's industry and passion. Look at it from his perspective.
post #70 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by agjiffy View Post

But you are disparaging the product. To say otherwise is simply nonsense.

Show me how.
post #71 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Reeves View Post

Show me how.

You called it a "disgrace" that TG wears it and contrasted it with "passion and integrity". That is insulting. Do you even know if he is paid by SS? TG also listed goldfish and metrocards as things he can't live without in the same interview. Is he a shill for pepperidge farm? The MTA? Maybe he really likes the suits. Is that not a possibility? Its unfathomable?
post #72 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by agjiffy View Post


You called it a "disgrace" that TG wears it and contrasted it with "passion and integrity". That is insulting. Do you even know if he is paid by SS? TG also listed goldfish and metrocards as things he can't live without in the same interview. Is he a shill for pepperidge farm? The MTA? Maybe he really likes the suits. Is that not a possibility? Its unfathomable?

 

You're missing the point now. The discussion was interesting. You are just trying to force it somewhere less useful.

post #73 of 104
Duplicate
post #74 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by othertravel View Post

But look at the context of his argument. He isn't disparaging the quality of the product; he's disparaging the level of praise afforded to SS by TG, which isn't really warranted (especially if you view tailoring as a craft).

Most SFers aren't tailors. This is David's industry and passion. Look at it from his perspective.

and why is that so bad..If TG was endorsing TF or Zegna.. would there be the same disdain for him as well? The prevailing theme on this forum is fit over anything else..and how many people on SF can afford to pay 3k for MTM or bespoke.. and how many people pay over 1k for a suit..I have seen the majority on here disparage people for paying retail price for anything.. so he likes a suit that fits him well (might I add that he gets most of his stuff MTM at the full canvass option) ... I say kudos to him..I would like to have a closet full of bespoke stuff or even a bespoke suit but will I do it? Not likely..can he afford to do so? Yes..he probably does have a closet full of bespoke stuff..but if you like a brand it should not be where they are on the food chain but more how it makes you look in terms of fit and fabric..I am a huge fan of SS despite only having two suits from them..the fabric is better than anything off the rack that I have tried on under $1300 and it fits my frame well..I would never compare RTW to Bespoke in any instance.. but what I believe he is trying to do is endorse an image of accessibility to decent clothing to a mass of people that are interested in that information.. Bespoke is a niche market and will always be.. and for the average Joe there is nothing inspirational about a guy wearing 5k suit trying to tell us how to dress..yea its cool and all but the average Joe will go look for the cheaper alternative 9 times out of 10..I do not know many people.. including peeps that I work with that would pay over $500 for a suit..and these people are wealthy..so I understand what TG is doing..

post #75 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post

You're missing the point now. The discussion was interesting. You are just trying to force it somewhere less useful.

You don't like it? Welcome to the Internet.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Suit Supply Suit -- Age Appropriate?