Recent Images In This Thread
- categorySuitstagged by LA Guy, 3/29/15
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by LA Guy, 3/29/15
- brandSuitSupplytagged by LA Guy, 3/29/15
- brandSuit Supplytagged by LA Guy, 3/29/15
- itemSuitSupply Napolitagged by LA Guy, 3/29/15
- topicSuitsupply Reviewtagged by LA Guy, 3/29/15
- itemSuitSupply Washingtontagged by LA Guy, 3/29/15
Related Forum Threads
- SuitSupply Denver Store Opening Last post on 1/24/14 at 2:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Suitsupply NYC Last post on Today at 4:02 am in Classic Menswear
- SuitSupply Shirts? Last post on 2/27/15 at 6:45pm in Classic Menswear
- Critique the fit of Suit Supply Sportcoat Last post on 8/7/14 at 12:33am in Classic Menswear
- Did I spend too much at Suit Supply? Last post on 3/3/15 at 3:25pm in Classic Menswear
Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather Cloth
Last edited: 8/10/15
- The Myth of the Nice Guy: Baseball’s Moral and Sartorial...Last edited: 8/10/15
- David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88Last edited: 7/26/15
- What I learned from my own wedding day, and how it can help you.Last edited: 7/9/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Suit Supply Suit -- Age Appropriate?post #1 of 1049/1/13 at 8:16amThread StarterI tried on a Suitsupply suit and like the look and fit, although the pants were a little on the slim side. I thought if I ordered MTM, the pants could be a little wider. The problem is this -- I am 55 years old. The style for these suits seems to be targeted for men 1/2 my age. The last thing I want is to be a 55 year old guy trying to look 1/2 his age. Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
Styleforum Top Pickspost #2 of 1049/1/13 at 8:41ampost #3 of 1049/2/13 at 8:55amWhich SS suit did you try on? Some have fuller pants - and overall cuts - than others.
I think it depends on your work environment, personal taste and what shape you´re in.
I´m also 55 (there, I said it!) and I wear both a Napoli and a Lazio OTR. I can get away with even the trimmer Lazio because I´m in pretty good shape, like a somewhat trim fit (but nothing extreme, and no notched lapels, please) and I spend half the year in Europe, where even middle-age guys tend to wear slimmer cuts than in the US.
I think the type of shirt you wear also influences the right pant width. If, like me, you wear a somewhat fitted MTM shirt, then the slimmer pant looks OK. On the other hand, if you like a more blousy shirt, then I think you´ll want to wider pant to balance it out.
If you feel out of place with something for a Millenium kid, I suggest avoiding the tighter-fitting cuts and trying the fullest OTR fit (Napoli, I believe), or, yes, try MTM or another brand.post #4 of 1049/2/13 at 1:55pmpost #5 of 1049/2/13 at 2:07pmpost #6 of 1049/2/13 at 2:32pmpost #7 of 1049/2/13 at 4:44pmpost #8 of 1049/2/13 at 4:59pmpost #9 of 1049/2/13 at 5:03pmpost #10 of 1049/2/13 at 5:29pmWell, I'm 48 and I understand your concerns as I had similar thoughts when buying my most recent suit. What I have found is that you should buy clothing that compliments your body shape/size, and then make "stylistic" choices that you are comfortable with. So, a SS Napoli with cropped trousers and a very fitted jacket will certainly give off a hip vibe. However, the same suit with more classical tailoring touches can look very different. (Google Tim Gunn, I think he wears SS. I believe he's in his 50's).post #11 of 1049/2/13 at 6:16pmCode:
I'm 34 not 55 and you can't compare these to suit supply. In fact please don't.
I really dislike this company now, I would never buy from a company with such crass advertising. A Google image search reveals a ton of purile, coward porn. I'm not against porn, but not like this. It is shot nicely though I will admit that but the content is more about naked women rather than the clothes and I think that is pretty weak.
Edited by David Reeves - 9/2/13 at 6:31pmpost #12 of 1049/2/13 at 10:29pmpost #13 of 1049/2/13 at 10:55pmQuote:
I am probably getting a little soft in the head in old age, but I'm not that far gone yet! I was referring to the styles, not the age of the models.post #14 of 1049/3/13 at 7:52amQuote:
Most of the nudity was shot 3+ years ago, which is eons in this now now now social media world. I think they did it right when people outside of Europe were starting to notice the brand. So if it hasn't blown up negatively for them yet I doubt it will. Personally, I enjoy looking at hot naked women. And suits. Put the two together =
I'm also 34 so I can't provide a personal reference point to the OP. But my first thought was also Tim Gunn. He's worn SS for the past 2 seasons of Project Runway. However, remember that he works in the fashion industry.
I work with several guys who are in their 50s. A few wear Samuelsohn and Canali suits that have a slightly fuller cut but still carry some of the more modern trims. Might be worthy alternative if you don't mind the price jump..post #15 of 1049/3/13 at 8:08am
For the younger man for sure. At 55 I think I'd be more concerned with the comfort of the suit. The slim fit suits are very uncomfortable because of the tight armhole, short point to point on the coat. The trousers come with the very slim knee you mentioned as well as a short rise. These suits do look good on a younger man that has a good build but trey are not for the 55 year old man in my opinion, others may differ. Go with a MTM suit and have it styled for your body. You will be more comfortable and look appropriate in all situations.
- Suit Supply Suit -- Age Appropriate?
Styleforum Top Picks
- The Myth of the Nice Guy: Baseball’s Moral and Sartorial...
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › Why wear a wrist watch when you could easily consult your phone for... 1 minute ago
- › Stephan Schneider Common Ivy striped bomber sz 5 2 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 2 minutes ago
- › John Elliott + Co - official affiliate thread 5 minutes ago
- › St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Official: Superhero, Comic Book, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror, etc...... 7 minutes ago
- › Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned? 8 minutes ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Theard 12 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 13 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Announcing the winner of the Kent Wang...
- › Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather Cloth
- › The Myth of the Nice Guy: Baseball’s...
- › Three Gin Cocktails for Summertime
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015