Recent Images In This Thread
- categorySuitstagged by LA Guy, 3/29/15
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by LA Guy, 3/29/15
- brandSuitSupplytagged by LA Guy, 3/29/15
- brandSuit Supplytagged by LA Guy, 3/29/15
- itemSuitSupply Napolitagged by LA Guy, 3/29/15
- topicSuitsupply Reviewtagged by LA Guy, 3/29/15
- itemSuitSupply Washingtontagged by LA Guy, 3/29/15
Related Forum Threads
- SuitSupply Denver Store Opening Last post on 1/24/14 at 2:34pm in Classic Menswear
- Suitsupply NYC Last post on Yesterday at 9:35 pm in Classic Menswear
- SuitSupply Shirts? Last post on 12/15/15 at 7:37am in Classic Menswear
- Critique the fit of Suit Supply Sportcoat Last post on 8/7/14 at 12:33am in Classic Menswear
- Did I spend too much at Suit Supply? Last post on 9/15/15 at 2:19am in Classic Menswear
Where can I buy an affordable suit for my wedding?
Last edited: 3/24/16
- Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800Last edited: 4/26/16
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- What shade of grey should my wedding suit be?Last edited: 3/24/16
- What shirt should I wear with a single button peak lapel dinner...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Suit Supply Suit -- Age Appropriate?post #1 of 1049/1/13 at 8:16amThread StarterI tried on a Suitsupply suit and like the look and fit, although the pants were a little on the slim side. I thought if I ordered MTM, the pants could be a little wider. The problem is this -- I am 55 years old. The style for these suits seems to be targeted for men 1/2 my age. The last thing I want is to be a 55 year old guy trying to look 1/2 his age. Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated. Thanks.post #2 of 1049/1/13 at 8:41ampost #3 of 1049/2/13 at 8:55amWhich SS suit did you try on? Some have fuller pants - and overall cuts - than others.
I think it depends on your work environment, personal taste and what shape you´re in.
I´m also 55 (there, I said it!) and I wear both a Napoli and a Lazio OTR. I can get away with even the trimmer Lazio because I´m in pretty good shape, like a somewhat trim fit (but nothing extreme, and no notched lapels, please) and I spend half the year in Europe, where even middle-age guys tend to wear slimmer cuts than in the US.
I think the type of shirt you wear also influences the right pant width. If, like me, you wear a somewhat fitted MTM shirt, then the slimmer pant looks OK. On the other hand, if you like a more blousy shirt, then I think you´ll want to wider pant to balance it out.
If you feel out of place with something for a Millenium kid, I suggest avoiding the tighter-fitting cuts and trying the fullest OTR fit (Napoli, I believe), or, yes, try MTM or another brand.post #4 of 1049/2/13 at 1:55pmpost #5 of 1049/2/13 at 2:07pmpost #6 of 1049/2/13 at 2:32pmpost #7 of 1049/2/13 at 4:44pmpost #8 of 1049/2/13 at 4:59pmpost #9 of 1049/2/13 at 5:03pmpost #10 of 1049/2/13 at 5:29pmWell, I'm 48 and I understand your concerns as I had similar thoughts when buying my most recent suit. What I have found is that you should buy clothing that compliments your body shape/size, and then make "stylistic" choices that you are comfortable with. So, a SS Napoli with cropped trousers and a very fitted jacket will certainly give off a hip vibe. However, the same suit with more classical tailoring touches can look very different. (Google Tim Gunn, I think he wears SS. I believe he's in his 50's).post #11 of 1049/2/13 at 6:16pmCode:
I'm 34 not 55 and you can't compare these to suit supply. In fact please don't.
I really dislike this company now, I would never buy from a company with such crass advertising. A Google image search reveals a ton of purile, coward porn. I'm not against porn, but not like this. It is shot nicely though I will admit that but the content is more about naked women rather than the clothes and I think that is pretty weak.
Edited by David Reeves - 9/2/13 at 6:31pmpost #12 of 1049/2/13 at 10:29pmpost #13 of 1049/2/13 at 10:55pmQuote:
I am probably getting a little soft in the head in old age, but I'm not that far gone yet! I was referring to the styles, not the age of the models.post #14 of 1049/3/13 at 7:52amQuote:
Most of the nudity was shot 3+ years ago, which is eons in this now now now social media world. I think they did it right when people outside of Europe were starting to notice the brand. So if it hasn't blown up negatively for them yet I doubt it will. Personally, I enjoy looking at hot naked women. And suits. Put the two together =
I'm also 34 so I can't provide a personal reference point to the OP. But my first thought was also Tim Gunn. He's worn SS for the past 2 seasons of Project Runway. However, remember that he works in the fashion industry.
I work with several guys who are in their 50s. A few wear Samuelsohn and Canali suits that have a slightly fuller cut but still carry some of the more modern trims. Might be worthy alternative if you don't mind the price jump..post #15 of 1049/3/13 at 8:08am
For the younger man for sure. At 55 I think I'd be more concerned with the comfort of the suit. The slim fit suits are very uncomfortable because of the tight armhole, short point to point on the coat. The trousers come with the very slim knee you mentioned as well as a short rise. These suits do look good on a younger man that has a good build but trey are not for the 55 year old man in my opinion, others may differ. Go with a MTM suit and have it styled for your body. You will be more comfortable and look appropriate in all situations.
- Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 3 minutes ago
- › General Bike Thread (Desiderata, questions, porn) 12 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 15 minutes ago
- › Yellow Hook Appreciation Thread 15 minutes ago
- › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 23 minutes ago
- › The Official Wine Thread 25 minutes ago
- › The Official Cars Discount / Thrift & DIY Questions and Bragging ... 30 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 30 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 42 minutes ago
- › Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos 46 minutes ago
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding